Thread: Help identify this pen

Thanks

Default Help identify this pen

Hi all-

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but I'm attempting to identify this pen (pics attached).

All i know is that is appears to be a mont blanc fountain pen.... so really i know nothing haha.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default Re: Help identify this pen

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysafox View Post
    Hi all-

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but I'm attempting to identify this pen (pics attached).

All i know is that is appears to be a mont blanc fountain pen.... so really i know nothing haha.

Thanks!!
    I know NOTHING about Montblancs, so I can’t help you there. But I can tell you that there is a section call “brand focus” in the forums and one of them is on MB. I would suggest posting there or at least changing the header to include MB (make it more eye catching to those who know).

Good luck! You may have a real gem there.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,431 Times in 2,521 Posts

It is a Montblanc Marcel Proust, IMHO the most handsome of the Writer's Editions, produced in 1999. Depending upon condition and whether it is accompanied by its box and warranty pamphlet, it will likely bring considerably more than $1,000 if marketed properly. If you are going to sell it, do not remove the M sticker.

Alas, I found the Proust an uncomfortable fountain pen to use, so I sold mine. Be aware of a design defect in the Proust fountain pen that causes the black threaded area of the barrel to crack where the overlay meets the cap. The result is ink will leak from the cracked threads. For that reason, take care not to over-tighten the cap. Montblanc Hamburg will replace the barrel at considerable expense ($459 in 2015), a labor-intensive project that re-uses the sterling overlay. (I was told by Montblanc that the company that made the overlay is no longer in business.) The repair is likely worth your while due to the value of the Proust.

If you have a matching Proust pencil you want to sell (pencils were only sold as part of a FP/BP/MP set), PM me.
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 29th, 2018 at 09:48 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (April 30th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysafox View Post
    Hi all-

Thanks!!
    It’s a Proust writers edition. Nice pen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    It is a Montblanc Marcel Proust, IMHO the most handsome of the Writer's Editions, produced in 1999. Depending upon condition and whether it is accompanied by its box and warranty pamphlet, it will likely bring considerably more than $1,000 if marketed properly. If you are going to sell it, do not remove the M sticker.

Alas, I found the Proust an uncomfortable fountain pen to use, so I sold mine. Be aware of a design defect in the Proust fountain pen that causes the black threaded area of the barrel to crack where the overlay meets the cap. The result is ink will leak from the cracked threads. For that reason, take care not to over-tighten the cap. Montblanc Hamburg will replace the barrel at considerable expense ($459 in 2015), a labor-intensive project that re-uses the sterling overlay. (I was told by Montblanc that the company that made the overlay is no longer in business.) The repair is likely worth your while due to the value of the Proust.

If you have a matching Proust pencil you want to sell (pencils were only sold as part of a FP/BP/MP set), PM me.
    Thank you for this great info!