Thread: Second Waterman restoration project - a couple questions

Thanks

Default Second Waterman restoration project - a couple questions

Hello everyone!

I recently found a Canadian Waterman Dauntless (probably) and embarked on my second restoration project. The pen wasn't in too bad a shape, but the nib tines were severely misaligned. Fortunately, it wasn't kinked, so I've been gradually and patiently straightening the curve (almost done now). I would like to ask a couple of questions, though:

First, regarding the material, these pens were apparently made in Celluloid, and then later in lucite. Since it's jet black, how can you tell the difference?

Second, there is no lever-box on this one, and the lever doesn't seem attached to the J-bar in any way. The lever can even flip all the way as there is no stopper to block it in a vertical position. Is this a problem? It seems to function well, but I'd hate to break a more delicate part if I overlook a necessary repair.

And finally, the rubber sac is still in good shape. It's a bit stiff, but it works. Would you recommend to keep it or to change it just in case?

Overall, not a complicated project, but I'm having a lot of fun and learning along the way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Default Re: Second Waterman restoration project - a couple questions

Always change the sac if you take apart the pen and the date of the last sac change is unknown.

I'm not exactly sure what a Dauntless is that it would have no lever box. Might posting a picture?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (April 30th, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I'll see about posting a picture later tonight.

Thanks

Here it is. Nib is a 2A and the imprint on the barrel and cap simply says "Waterman's Made in Canada". As you can see, there is no lever box; I've seen a few places mention they sometimes made them like that for the later productions of their lower-tier models.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Waterman didn’t use traditional J-bars in their lever pens but, instead, used pressure bars that engaged the end of the lever and were able to move up and down. As long as the end of the lever is still riding in the channels on the pressure bar you should be okay.

To determine which material your pen is made of smell the plastic when you polish it. Celluloid has a distinctive phenolic smell.