Thread: Fountain Pen Magazines?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,594 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Fountain Pen Magazines?

I recently got a free copy of the April issue of Pen World magazine. Pen magazines seem a little anachronistic in a world where we have wonderful internet forums like this. But it's been surprisingly nice to have a glossy magazine to flip through, with great photos and a few in-depth articles to read.

I've heard that there's another magazine out there, too: the Pennant, the publication of the PCA. It seems to come with PCA membership, which seems like a worthy cause.

Are there any subscribers (or contributors) to pen magazines here? Any thoughts? Are any worth the cost?

(And I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so I apologize if it shouldn't be here.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 600 Posts

Default Re: Fountain Pen Magazines?

Penna vintage has a great online magazine that you can view for free for a few days until they make you pay.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I recently got a free copy of the April issue of Pen World magazine. Pen magazines seem a little anachronistic in a world where we have wonderful internet forums like this. But it's been surprisingly nice to have a glossy magazine to flip through, with great photos and a few in-depth articles to read.

I've heard that there's another magazine out there, too: the Pennant, the publication of the PCA. It seems to come with PCA membership, which seems like a worthy cause.

Are there any subscribers (or contributors) to pen magazines here? Any thoughts? Are any worth the cost?

(And I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so I apologize if it shouldn't be here.)
    I receive The Pennant as a PCA member and find it consistently engaging and enlightening. I buy Pen World on the newsstand for some reason, perhaps afraid I'll get tired of it, but i haven't. There is always something interesting and it is nice to sometimes sit quietly paging through rather than scrolling.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks
    Thanked 11,125 Times in 4,032 Posts

I simply can't recommend the PCA membership, which gets you three issues of the Pennant a year, highly enough.

The articles are well-written, and under the editorship of Paul Erano for the last 1-2 years (not sure exactly), the layout and quality is outstanding. Certainly one of the best small-run, niche publications I've seen. Add to that the ability to read the archives of the magazine online, and if you are into vintage, oodles of pen catalogs as resources online to do your research, identify an old pen, etc...

$40 a year is what I believe it costs. I've enjoyed my membership for the last two years very much. BTW, current PCA president is none other than Lisa Anderson, of Anderson Pens.

Pen Collectors of America - take a look for more info. There is a sample issue of the mag for download.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (May 7th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 600 Posts

A real physical magazine is a lot nicer, I agree.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

I have been a Pen World subscriber for 6 years? A long time anyway and have all of my copies. I subscribed to Stylus for a couple years until Hurricane Katrina pretty much wiped them out - they just didn't recover which was a shame. Good magazine, and for this genre, I want the physical version for sure. I need to look into this PCA business, thanks for posting the link.