Thread: Any way to exclude "for sale" threads when I click on "new posts"?

Thanks

Default Any way to exclude "for sale" threads when I click on "new posts"?

Hi FPG
    When I click on "new posts" a large proportion of the new threads are "for sale" threads, none of which I'm interested in. Is there a way to exclude such threads when I click on "new posts" button?

Thanks

Thanks

Default Re: Any way to exclude "for sale" threads when I click on "new posts"?

Unfortunately, the trade threads seem to be the bulk of the daily posting here, and I've not found a way to filter them out either. What I tend to do, is click "What's New?" and take a look at the right hand side of the table to identify which posts are not trade stuff. I then open what few threads are conversational, and then hit click "Mark Forums Read".

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

Medieval (May 1st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Medieval View Post
    ...Is there a way to exclude such threads when I click on "new posts" button?
    Yes. First go to the For Sale subforum
    - Click on [Forum Tools]
    - Click on [Mark This Forum Read]
    This removes all the For Sale listings from New Posts. Of course, you can do that with any subforum before looking at New Posts.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Medieval (May 2nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medieval View Post
    ...Is there a way to exclude such threads when I click on "new posts" button?
    Yes. First go to the For Sale subforum
    - Click on [Forum Tools]
    - Click on [Mark This Forum Read]
    This removes all the For Sale listings from New Posts. Of course, you can do that with any subforum before looking at New Posts.
    I do basically what Fred says, but do it this way: my bookmark to the forum is actually a bookmark to the "What's New" page. Once that opens, I look to the right hand column and find the first "For Sale" item and click on "For Sale" (the name of the subforum). When that sub comes up I do the rest of what Fred says, voiding all the sales threads, and then return by clicking on "What's New". It's a couple of clicks, it's a minor pisser, but there are worse things in the world.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ...It's a couple of clicks, it's a minor pisser, but there are worse things in the world.
    I hardly think about it when I do it. I recall many weeks ago someone posting in indignant fashion that he shouldn't be expected to go through all that trouble, etc., etc. So just now, out of curiosity, I timed myself through the above steps, starting with New Posts, marking the For Sale subforum as Read and returning to New Posts. It took all of five seconds, and it could have been faster had others in my house not been sharing available bandwidth.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ...It's a couple of clicks, it's a minor pisser, but there are worse things in the world.
    I hardly think about it when I do it. I recall many weeks ago someone posting in indignant fashion that he shouldn't be expected to go through all that trouble, etc., etc. So just now, out of curiosity, I timed myself through the above steps, starting with New Posts, marking the For Sale subforum as Read and returning to New Posts. It took all of five seconds, and it could have been faster had others in my house not been sharing available bandwidth.
    That's true, Fred, and in my way of getting along with the world, I accept it.

However, my first degree is in music but my second is in software engineering. I am trained to look for elegant solutions. A modern computer/software system has a malleability that makes any task easier if solved properly. There *should* be either a setting that ignores all of the posts in the subforum and - in fact - there is! That is how none of the posts in "Politics, Religion and Science" don't appear in the "What's New" filter. It would be a brain-dead easy thing to make a user-selectable filter that would do the same thing for Sales.

It isn't that it is a hard or burdensome task. It is that it is a task that one should never have to do.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

For me, it's not the For Sale posts, it's the lack of non-For Sale submissions that I find it a bit of an issue here
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 1st, 2018), Medieval (May 2nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    For me, it's not the For Sale posts, it's the lack of non-For Sale submissions that I find it a bit of an issue here
    Me too. That is why I am trying to up my participation a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 2nd, 2018), Jon Szanto (May 2nd, 2018), penwash (May 2nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

There is a way to automatically exclude posts from a section. I just need to remember how I did it.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Me too. That is why I am trying to up my participation a bit.
    True! + 1

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lexaf For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 3rd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Okay, I have searched just about every setting on this board and cannot find how I did it. It is very possible that it was a board hack that broke when the site went on auto-pilot.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot