Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: What I've Learned So Far - A Noobs Tale

Thanks

Default Re: What I've Learned So Far - A Noobs Tale

Wuddus, I am a vintage collector, so obviously do not share your views. However I would never even think of "correcting" you.

You enjoy pens your way, I do it my way, which has changed over the years.

In the end itīs all about enjoying this hobby, each of us following our own perspective, and respecting everybody else.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wahl For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 6th, 2018), Deb (October 6th, 2018), Kazoomi (October 17th, 2018), KBeezie (October 6th, 2018), Rossler (October 16th, 2018), suzy01 (October 6th, 2018), Wuddus (October 6th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wahl View Post
    Wuddus, I am a vintage collector, so obviously do not share your views.
    :P With that username I would certainly hope so.

Thanks

Well said, ethernautrix,

I really don't let it get to me, and I also find most of it hilarious, but it is no less mystifying how people manage to navigate their way through life with so much frustration about someone else thinking differently to them. Lets face it, the chances of that mentality being confined to their opinions on writing implements is pretty slim

It won't change my thinking, it won't stop me sharing my own discoveries, and it won't ruin my day. Whatever they hope to achieve with such comments is failing - unless they do actually want me to think they're an idiot

Thanks for joining in so light hearted and open-minded. It's very refreshing, and very welcome. I'll learn far more from people like yourself, than those misguided few who no doubt think we are both a disgrace to our species

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 6th, 2018), ethernautrix (October 6th, 2018), Kazoomi (October 17th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wahl View Post
    Wuddus, I am a vintage collector, so obviously do not share your views. However I would never even think of "correcting" you.

You enjoy pens your way, I do it my way, which has changed over the years.

In the end itīs all about enjoying this hobby, each of us following our own perspective, and respecting everybody else.
    Indeed! The pen world is plenty big enough for all of us. We don't need to agree with, or even understand each other's perspective, in order to get along. We're all keeping people in jobs, keeping fountain pens alive, and enjoying our own different variations of the hobby along the way.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (October 6th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post
    Well said, ethernautrix,

I really don't let it get to me, and I also find most of it hilarious, but it is no less mystifying how people manage to navigate their way through life with so much frustration about someone else thinking differently to them. Lets face it, the chances of that mentality being confined to their opinions on writing implements is pretty slim

It won't change my thinking, it won't stop me sharing my own discoveries, and it won't ruin my day. Whatever they hope to achieve with such comments is failing - unless they do actually want me to think they're an idiot

Thanks for joining in so light hearted and open-minded. It's very refreshing, and very welcome. I'll learn far more from people like yourself, than those misguided few who no doubt think we are both a disgrace to our species
    Thank you, Wuddus, for your astute perception.

A toast to all who merrily participate in this lovely absurdity: Here's to you, and here's to me! Should we ever disagree, to hell with you and here's to me!

Alternative ending: Should we ever disagree, I'll politely point out that we have different values and opinions, but we can still discuss what we like and don't like civilly!

*Clink* *Clink*
    Last edited by ethernautrix; October 6th, 2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Better ending.

Thanks

to you ethernautrix

and

to the narrowminded

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Now now, Wuddus. If part of what you're advocating is that we should all be treating one another with respect, aren't you contradicting yourself by flipping off those whom you consider narrow-minded?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Now now, Wuddus. If part of what you're advocating is that we should all be treating one another with respect, aren't you contradicting yourself by flipping off those whom you consider narrow-minded?
    Absolutely! We all need a day off every now and again

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

Kulprit (October 19th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Absolutely! We all need a day off every now and again
    The problem with the high road is that no one knows when you're on it.

*snicker*

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I've never really seen any of these conversations as being firm attempts to change my mind. But... that doesn't mean to say that my mind is fixed either, as that would be a terrible way to live (i.e. it's the way of the fanatic).

Thanks

Almost three months later, and around 9 months after rediscovering fountain pens, everything is steady ahead.

No new purchases of inks or pens, and still the same three pens being used most of the time. However, the same three fountain pens being used, does mean that I've settled in nicely long term without drifting back to the ballpoints. The ballpoints have been used on the occasional form and envelope, but it's (mainly) those three fountain pens for everything else.

Surprisingly (or maybe not) the Baoer 388 has taken over pocket duty from the Ohto Tasche quite a few times, with the Wing Sung 3008 being the main scribbler at the desk. I think one reason the 388 is winning pocket time, is the fact it's so cheap, and I have 5 spares. If I somehow made it home without that, I'd be less peeved than if the Tasche had gone AWOL on me. Ironically, the clip is tighter on the 388 too, so there's less chance it will get away from me anyway - and the cap is more secure.

The Diamine ink is serving me well too. It's now become normal to see a shopping list, or anything else for that matter, written in colours that I'd never consider buying/using in a ballpoint. The lack of water resistance hasn't posed a problem for me, and those little 30ml bottles will last me ages. I've still not brought myself to be able to use the Amaranth though, unless I add a little testosterone to it, with a generous mixer of Oxblood.

Aside from killing the Jinhao X450 with my own brute force and stupidity when I tried to do a nib swap, I've had no other failings of any kind. Nothing had disintegrated, or vomited in my pocket, or developed cracks, so apologies to anyone secretly hoping that I'd have skulked back with my tail between my legs, and said "you were right". So far, none of the horror stories have come to pass, so I still haven't seen need to consider a "proper" pen.

Most importantly, I still don't regret anything. The pens I now ignore were important stepping stones in the journey, as was the fact that some needed a little tweak when first used. I don't regret mauling the X450 with pliers, or buying the dip pens and ink that I never use. It all led me here, using pens every day that I'm happy with, with ink and paper that I'm happy with. Using them without undue care or fear, focussing more on what the nib is creating on the page than the looks, flow, feel, or value of the pen it's mounted in. Satisfied enough to not want to upgrade, and happy that I actually enjoy using a fountain pen as an everyday writing implement.

While my array may be humble, there may be one key element in there which I imagine has eluded many a long time pen enthusiast. Contentment.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 24th, 2018), azkid (December 30th, 2018), Chrissy (December 23rd, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (December 23rd, 2018)

Thanks

I'm not sure if you've tried hooded nib pens yet? Hooded nibs are nice because they get on better with tricky inks and let you leave a pen uncapped longer. This is my pick for Best Cheap Fountain Pen -

https://kencrooker.com/review-baoer-100/

The Jinhao 911 is very popular and even cheaper. And if you want to spend more then you can go for a Wing Sung 601 or 618 - although I'd rather than the Baoer with its stronger retro cool, tougher body, and a nib that gives more of a conventional fountain pen feel than the Parker 51 family. Otoh I'd avoid the Moonman 80 unless you buy cheaply and are ready for disappointment - very bad nibs seem to be very common.

You might also look at cheap Pilots like the Kakuno and Pluminix if you haven't already, both in their own right and to swap the nibs into compatible Chinese bodies. The standard Pilot nib is at least 90% as good as a hard fine or medium gets at any price. And talking of nib swaps, the 388 should take a Bock 5(?) nib and feed I believe - you can buy them in the UK at Beaufort Inks. That way you can fix up your 388's to write different widths if that's attractive - look at the calligraphy nibs if you want italic.
    Last edited by ilikenails; December 23rd, 2018 at 06:23 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ilikenails For This Useful Post:

Wuddus (December 24th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

I enjoyed your Baoer review! If only this little pen did not have a metal section....
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

This thread has been an enjoyable read this evening! (And yes, it is nice to hear about contentment with pens )

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I enjoyed your Baoer review! If only this little pen did not have a metal section....
    It doesn't. The Jinhao 250 does.

IMG_20181224_130904_800_600.jpg

The Jinhao 250 is above, with the Baoer 388 below. I'm pretty sure the section is a hard plastic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    I'm not sure if you've tried hooded nib pens yet? Hooded nibs are nice because they get on better with tricky inks and let you leave a pen uncapped longer. This is my pick for Best Cheap Fountain Pen -

https://kencrooker.com/review-baoer-100/

The Jinhao 911 is very popular and even cheaper. And if you want to spend more then you can go for a Wing Sung 601 or 618 - although I'd rather than the Baoer with its stronger retro cool, tougher body, and a nib that gives more of a conventional fountain pen feel than the Parker 51 family. Otoh I'd avoid the Moonman 80 unless you buy cheaply and are ready for disappointment - very bad nibs seem to be very common.

You might also look at cheap Pilots like the Kakuno and Pluminix if you haven't already, both in their own right and to swap the nibs into compatible Chinese bodies. The standard Pilot nib is at least 90% as good as a hard fine or medium gets at any price. And talking of nib swaps, the 388 should take a Bock 5(?) nib and feed I believe - you can buy them in the UK at Beaufort Inks. That way you can fix up your 388's to write different widths if that's attractive - look at the calligraphy nibs if you want italic.
    This might ruffle a few feathers, but hooded nibs look really ugly to me. They look like they've been dropped, and the elegance of a fountain pen has gone.

Thanks for all the other insights, but I'm genuinely content with what I have. I know that might be an alien concept to some I did do a nibswap on one of the Wing Sung 3008s, but never reach for it now. I've settled into the medium nibs on the regular 3008, Baoer 388, and the Ohto Tasche. I've stopped looking at other pens altogether. These three do everything I want them to do, and anything else would be a solution in search of a problem.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

Paddler (December 24th, 2018)

Thanks

The Jinhao 250 is above, with the Baoer 388 below. I'm pretty sure the section is a hard plastic.
    Hmmm...those were not the pens I meant...

Thanks

Hmmm...those were not the pens I meant...
    Oh...

Thinking of someone else's review maybe? Or were you thinking of the Ohto Tasche?

Thanks

When I clicked on your link, it took me to a review of a little black Baoer pen with hooded nib.

Thanks

I didn't write it, just so you know. I don't normally tolerate metal sections, but I found that the lacquered metal is about as grabby as smooth plastic.