Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What I've Learned So Far - A Noobs Tale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Default Re: What I've Learned So Far - A Noobs Tale

I've taken to using Pilot-Namiki Blue Black for addressing envelopes. It's perfectly safe in fountain pens, unlike, say, India ink or in many pens iron gall inks, but while not waterproof it is very water resistant. If it gets wet you'll see some blurring, but everything remains readable.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Kazoomi (October 17th, 2018), Wuddus (October 3rd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 436 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    a rain shower somewhere between Pennsylvania and California. Everything except part of the street name and zipcode +4 disappeared in a pretty blend of colors.

How does that even happen?! Surely the mail is an enclosed system?
    I wish I knew, SIR. Today is the first day we had some rain here in California, thanks to the remnant of Hurricane Rosa coming up from Baja. We haven't seen any rain since early April and the Central Coast is still under a severe drought classification. Normally, we won't see rain again until mid-December, so any drops are a blessing for us.

All the Best.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,445 Times in 2,524 Posts

... So Fred, if you are reading this, thanks for the card but I have no idea what you wrote!...
    It was the next day's winning lottery numbers.

Thanks

I also wrote that I like Randall Blue and wanted to know if you mixed it or bought it, but that's an issue for the Inky Goodness subforum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    I seem incapable of using not-black inks over a sustained period of time, much less for the entire cartridge-fill (cart/converter/piston/whichever), so I finally "solved" that "problem" by using not-black inks in Platinum Preppies (and the Preppy class of pens ("cheap")). I can keep those not-black inks available for years and use them the way my nature prefers, which is sparingly.

You could do the same with your unused pens. They'd be serving a purpose waiting in your pen pot.
    To be honest, that's how the others came to be empty. They'd sat there just having occasional usage - mainly due to me "forcing" myself to use some of the remaining ink - right up until they became empty. Filling them back up seemed a little pointless, as at the rate I'm going, they may have sat there a couple of months between each use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post
    ...They'd sat there just having occasional usage - mainly due to me "forcing" myself to use some of the remaining ink - right up until they became empty. Filling them back up seemed a little pointless, as at the rate I'm going, they may have sat there a couple of months between each use.
    You need some pen friends/pen pals/postcard swappers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 436 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ... So Fred, if you are reading this, thanks for the card but I have no idea what you wrote!...
    It was the next day's winning lottery numbers.
    ROFL! So much for being able to buy a grail pen to post in the grail pen thread. The Randall Blue was bought and shipped from Nick Stewart in England. Good stuff!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Kazoomi (October 17th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...They'd sat there just having occasional usage - mainly due to me "forcing" myself to use some of the remaining ink - right up until they became empty. Filling them back up seemed a little pointless, as at the rate I'm going, they may have sat there a couple of months between each use.
    You need some pen friends/pen pals/postcard swappers.
    I did try that, Fred, and for a while I did enjoy it. Sadly, my interest in it fizzled out rather quickly. I think I've gotten too used to forum type conversation, where one send can garner several replies, not necessarily from who you expect, and there's (from my perspective) more return on your effort. With snail mail, you take an hour or more writing, read the reply in a few minutes, and there's a whole lot of nothing inbetween. I just didn't find it a very rewarding endeavour.

But at least I tried it....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I seem incapable of using not-black inks over a sustained period of time, much less for the entire cartridge-fill (cart/converter/piston/whichever), so I finally "solved" that "problem" by using not-black inks in Platinum Preppies (and the Preppy class of pens ("cheap")). I can keep those not-black inks available for years and use them the way my nature prefers, which is sparingly.

You could do the same with your unused pens. They'd be serving a purpose waiting in your pen pot.
    To be honest, that's how the others came to be empty. They'd sat there just having occasional usage - mainly due to me "forcing" myself to use some of the remaining ink - right up until they became empty. Filling them back up seemed a little pointless, as at the rate I'm going, they may have sat there a couple of months between each use.
    Ah... I haven't used most of the Preppies dry, and it's been months at least, maybe a year or more, at least with a few colors. Seems those pens and inks get used when I'm curious about either the color or whether the ink has dried out (nope) or when I want to swap out a seldom-used color for a potentially-less-seldom-used color.

I already had an array of Preppies and ended up giving most of them away a few years ago. Repeating an experiment, I suppose, cos it's scientific! Testing my intention or desire (or both) to use other colors enough to keep those inks, maybe? (I DO like these other colors, just apparently not enough to use them.....)

Thanks

Ah... I haven't used most of the Preppies dry, and it's been months at least, maybe a year or more, at least with a few colors. Seems those pens and inks get used when I'm curious about either the color or whether the ink has dried out (nope) or when I want to swap out a seldom-used color for a potentially-less-seldom-used color.

I already had an array of Preppies and ended up giving most of them away a few years ago. Repeating an experiment, I suppose, cos it's scientific! Testing my intention or desire (or both) to use other colors enough to keep those inks, maybe? (I DO like these other colors, just apparently not enough to use them.....)
    Sounds familiar

If my lesser used inks were all I had, I'd be happy to use them - but as they're not all I have, they get overlooked.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

I started out in a similar fashion, whole butt load of cheap Chinese and Indian pens until I learned that for my purposes (I'm not particularly Broad+ guy) it would have been money far better spent on the likes of Pilot Petit1/Metropolitan/78G when it came to keeping it under $20 for EF~F/M and reliable out of the box.

Though where I ended up is kind of weird in a way in hindsight. Like the only Pilot pen I own now (after having acquired, gifted or sold, despite liking them, but scaling down) is a 1964 Pilot Super 250 with a 1968 14K Falcon nib. And the only other Japanese pen I still have in my setup is a Platinum Preppy 05 strictly to be used with Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng.

What I ended up with since around 2014, with the last almost 2 years not having acquired anything pen wise (with the exception of a purchase coming this weekend, the Long Murex and Homo Sapiens is no longer in my collection):

- Platinum Preppy 05, Steel "Medium" that oddly has a 0.9mm broad tipping
    - (>2013) Lamy Al-Star Matte Black, Steel Fine
    - (>2012) Lamy 2000, 14K Extra-Fine (Rhodium Plated) nib
    - (2002+) Danitrio Mae West, Japanese Ebonite coated with Recession Urushi, 18K Factory Stub (Jowo "T")
    - (2008) Pelikan M640 Special Edition (Mount Everest), 18K Medium
    - (2001) Aurora Afrika Limited Edition (#1,765 of 7,500), 18K ~Extra-Fine
    - (1970s) Montblanc °225, Platinum coated 14k Extra-Extra-Fine
    - (Early 1970s) Parker 75 Cisele (Sterling Silver Crosshatch), 14k '63' EF (~Extra-Extra-Fine) nib
    - (May 22nd, 1964) Pilot Super 250, 1/4 turn filler, 14K Falcon Nib (Dated 1968)
    - (1950~60s) Pelikan 140 Export Model (Black with Green ink window), 14K Broad Cursive Italic nib
    - (1960s) [acquiring soon] Montblanc 14, 18C EF/F nib
    - (1956) Pelikan 400NN, 14K Semi-flex Extra-Fine nib
    - (1930s) Mabie Todd LTD (UK) Swan 205/60 (Black Chased Celluloid), 14K Swan '2' Semi-Flex Extra-Fine Nib
    - (1920s) Wahl #2 w/ 14K Semi-Flex Needlepoint Nib
    - (1910s-1921) Mabie Todd & Co (N.Y. USA) w/ 14K Flex Fine Nib

Compared to this excessiveness in August 2015 (roughly 1.5 years since start), when I decided I needed to reduce down to 16 or less

Spoiler: 

Left Side starting with that Wahl-Eversharp at top left.

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline Classic (Modern), Blue with Palladium Cap, Steel Semi-Flex F~M ceramic-coated (requires pressure close to noodler's)

Mabie Todd N.Y. Swan 2 Self-Filling Pen (~1910s-1921), Black Chased Hard Rubber, no clip/ring/etc. 14K '2' Flexible Fine.

Pelikan P20 Silvexa FP+BP Set (1970s), 14K OB, brushed caps, cartridge pen (2x short international back to back). One of the pens I'm selling/trading.

Eversharp Skyline Standard (1940s), 14K Firm Fine, 1/10 14K Gold-Filled Cap, dark green body/section and cap dome. Also one I'm selling/trading.

Filcao Atlantica Standard, Pentrace Green (2004 LE), Sterling Silver cap band and end cap band, button filler. Schmidt Steel Medium (~ Western Fine).

Pilot Long Murex, Steel Integrated <F> Nib, October 1978, Hiratsuka Plant.

Pilot Metal Falcon, Brown, 14K Soft Extra-Fine, currently inked with Diamine Hope Pink in a Con-70 button filler.

Platinum Preppy 02/EF (Noodler's X-Feather) and 05/M (Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng). Electrical tape on the EF due to some cracks in cap lip that formed in less than a couple weeks.

Center, Starting with the deep blue Omas at top down to the 'Montblanc Repair Service' telescoping tube.

1992 Omas Europa Limited Edition (#2,454), Blue Vegetal Resin, Piston filler, 18K 2-tone Firm Fine. Another that I'm selling/trading.

2011 Omas 360 Blue with Rose Gold trim/nib. 18K Springy Extra-Fine. Cartridge/Converter.

Lamy Studio, Palladium, 14K Medium

Lamy 2000, post-2009, 14K Extra-Fine

Danitrio Mae West (Hyotan), Lacquered Ebonite, 18K 2-tone Jowo "T" Stub nib.

1950s Pelikan 140, Black with green ink window, Export model, soft/springy 14K Broad cursive italic, piston filler.

Wahl #2 (1920s), gold-filled body and cap, lever filler, 14K Wahl '2' Semi-flex needlepoint. Currently inked with R&K Scabiosa (Iron Gall)

Aurora Afrika Limited Edition (#1,765 of... 7,500 not very 'limited'), Piston filler, "Large" 18K Medium that writes like a western EF, very firm but has a nice pencil feedback that writes instantly. Currently inked with Tsuki-yo

Pelikan M640 Special Edition, Mount Everest, 18K 2-tone Medium. Piston Filler. Currently inked with Noodler's blue Steel.

Right Side in the tray down.

Mabie Todd (UK) Swan 205/60, 1930s, Black Chased Celluloid, 14k '2' Semi-flex EF

Parker 75 Cisele, 14K '63' EF, Sterling Silver cap/body.

1956 Pelikan 400NN, Green Striped, Piston Filler, 14K Semi-Flex EF with a hard rubber nib/feed collar instead of steel/plastic

1953-57 Eversharp Slim Ventura 'Burp', 1/10 14K Gold-Filled cap and barrel, Aerometric/Squeeze filler, 14K Firm (very smooth) F~M, with XXF on the flip side.

Eversharp Skyline Standard (1940s), Black with 1/10 14K Gold-Filled Cap, 14K Semi-Flex EF , the same nib shown on the top right for the August cover image.

Eversharp Skyline Standard (1940s), Red/White (changed to green) striated celluloid cap, Navy Blue Body/Dome (aka "Army-Navy configuration"), 14K ~Flexible Fine.

Montblanc 225 (1970s), Platinated Cap, Black Body, Platinum coated 14K Firm-but-Smooth XXF, piston filler

Montblanc 221 (1980s?), Cartridge/Converter, 14K Very-springy Fine.

Wahl-Oxford (1930s), Black/White Striped Celluloid Lever Filler, 14K Springy-to-Semi-Flex 'warranted' EF nib.

First-Year Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel with a 14K Gold Snorkel Tube. 2-tone 14K EF Triumph Nib. Grey Body

Eversharp Doric in Kashmir, Lever Filler, 14K #3 Adjustable flex nib.

Versus what I had in May of 2014 :

Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk (Summer 2013 Design, Goulet Exclusive) with a Goulet 2-tone Extra Fine Nib
    Platinum PTL-5000 with a Fine 14K Gold Nib and Urushi/Maki-e Artwork
    Pilot Elite "Big Cap" (Late 70s, Early 80s) with an Extra Fine Nib
    Pilot Metropolitan Bronze Lizard with a Medium Nib
    Pilot 78G (Green) with a Broad/Stub Nib*
    Pilot 78G (Teal) with a Medium Nib*
    Ultra (1958 Import from Italy) with a fine partially hooded nib*
    Montblanc No.225 Piston Pen with a 14K Gold Nib with Platinum Coating
    Ero (mid 80s?) German Piston Pen with a "1" Nib (has some flex)*
    Faber-Castell BASIC with Leather Barrel with a Fine Nib

Unbranded Green Celluloid Pen (1930s) that I put a brand new sac in, 14K "Warranted" Gold nib*
    Sheaffer Craftsman in Persian Blue (~1947-1949)with a #33 Nib (14K Gold)*
    Sheaffer Touchdown Admiral in Evergreen Green (1951) with a Feathertouch (14K Gold + Platinum Plated) Accounting Nib (extra-extra-fine line)
    Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral (1953) in Black with a Medium 14K Gold Nib
    Sheaffer Student Pen (Late 60s) with a "F" Steel Nib*
    Nemosine Singularity Demonstrator with a Goulet 2-tone 1.5 Stub Nib (*well maybe without the stub lol)
    Jinhao X750 "Shimmering Sands" with a Monteverde Black Coated Fine Nib
    Jinhao 159 with a Jinhao Medium Nib*
    Jinhao 159 with a Goulet 2-tone Medium Nib

And two months before the above (March 2014) when I started.

Uranus KSF-301 w/ M-F Nib
    Huashilai 2111 w/ M Nib
    Wing Sung 3203 w/ M Nib
    Kaigelu 363 w/ M Nib
    Hero 616 w/ F Hooded Nib (but smoothed)
    Jinhao 611 w/ F Hooded Nib
    Sheaffer Craftsman w/ #33 14K Gold Nib
    Sheaffer Touchdown Admiral w/ Feathertouch EF (14K Gold, Platinum Coated) Nib
    Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral w/ Medium 14K Gold Nib
    Sheaffer Student Pen w/ "F" Nib (writes medium)
    Baoer 507 "8 Horse" w/ Medium Adjusted Nib
    Jinhao X450 w/ Goulet 2-tone 1.5mm Stub Nib
    Nemosine Singularity w/ Jinhao M Nib
    Jinhao X750 w/ Goulet 2-tone EF Nib

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (October 8th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quite the pen journey there, wow! Cool.

I haven't tried a preppy yet but like Kakunos even if they are a bit girthier than I prefer.

Trying different pens is fun for me. That Black Tipped Jade (Duofold - not a Duofold) surprised me with how nice it feels in hand. I guess the popularity of Duofolds was no accident. I have a fair idea of what my favorite pens have in common, ergonomically. So I guess I should sell off some of the less favorite.

Meanwhile the MB 221 has become awfully hard to do without.

There's a handful of pens I still want to try. One I am debating on (due to price) is the Pilot Namiki Falcon in SF. And I'd like a full length vintage flex pen like Wahl, Moore, Waterman, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    For addressing envelopes you could try the trick of writing with your FP then rubbing a candle over it after it's dry.
    Yes I should, Chrissy. I keep thinking "that's a smart idea", then forgetting all about it when the time comes
    Not sure why no one mentioned the obvious solution here? I just use waterproof ink. De atramentis document ink is so good you can watercolour over it, and I've had no problem with it in my pen. My husband likes platinum carbon which is also waterproof.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 4th, 2018), KBeezie (October 4th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Quite the pen journey there, wow! Cool.

I haven't tried a preppy yet but like Kakunos even if they are a bit girthier than I prefer.

Trying different pens is fun for me. That Black Tipped Jade (Duofold - not a Duofold) surprised me with how nice it feels in hand. I guess the popularity of Duofolds was no accident. I have a fair idea of what my favorite pens have in common, ergonomically. So I guess I should sell off some of the less favorite.

Meanwhile the MB 221 has become awfully hard to do without.

There's a handful of pens I still want to try. One I am debating on (due to price) is the Pilot Namiki Falcon in SF. And I'd like a full length vintage flex pen like Wahl, Moore, Waterman, etc.

Primary reason I went with a Preppy was because with a simple o-ring it would become an eye dropper filled pen, and with the spring loaded sealed cap, it was far less likely to cause Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng to dry up in the nib and make the pen unusable (plus if it did, it was only $4). Kind of like the same reason people use super cheap Indian eye dropper pens for something like Noodler's Bay State Blue, if it's the only ink that has touched the pen, then you don't run into problems (BSB by itself never caused harm, it just has a very high reaction to even particles of another ink left in the pen).

The downside to the preppy though is that if you do post the cap, they're more likely to crack (thus negating the whole benefit of slip-n-seal protection), some people will preemptively prevent this by either using heat shrink tubing on the lip area or some tape ahead of time, it's not exactly a pen that has to stay pretty.

The Montblanc 221 I had, had a rather springy and semi-flex ish type of nib, I prefer semi-flex nibs because you can generally do quick writing with it, without having to worry about gushing lines from regular usage. As opposed to straight up flex. But for that model of pen I didn't really care for it being a cartridge/converter type and preferred the piston like I have in my 225, which is a very firm 14K XXF nib, but also very very smooth.

I used to have both a Resin Pilot Falcon with a SF, and then later a metal Falcon with a SEF, I much preferred the SEF nib, as there really wasn't much flex (and people tend to push too hard on the nib), but did have that nice bouncey feeling and starting from an SEF made any minor line variation appear much more noticeable. Also preferred the feel of the metal one over the resin copy, and you can get the metal one for around $120~130 USD from Japan depending on exchange rate (usually on Rakuten thru some sellers on there, Pen House being one good for Sailors and Pelikans). Good pens, I just wasn't finding as much usage in them when I had a few vintage pens that offered similar bounce/spring feel of the nib, but had other traits that were nicer.

Far as the vintage one, a lot of times the nibs are going to be stiff, maybe a little bouncy sometimes. The ones that are typically "full flex" will have a much higher price tag, and it's best to practice on something closer to the lack of resistance like a Zebra-G dip nib which is still on the firmer side for flex, but it has much more give than most modern nibs that say "flex" on them (Noodler's, FPR, etc are for example not even semi-flex as they require such extreme pressure for line variation, but they're designed to handle that amount of pressure). So you usually have to ask for a conservative "normal writing pressure" writing sample. There are a few people in this group who are experts on flex and could explain it much better if desired. Just know the finer the starting point, the more visual impact variation has.

Would love to get to a pen show one day, but it probably wouldn't be healthy for my wallet, especially seeing as how long it's been since I last acquired anything noteworthy, especially if I start reminiscing about a lot of the vintages (skyline moire, murex, doric, vacumatics, etc) I had to sell in my haste.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suzy01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    For addressing envelopes you could try the trick of writing with your FP then rubbing a candle over it after it's dry.
    Yes I should, Chrissy. I keep thinking "that's a smart idea", then forgetting all about it when the time comes
    Not sure why no one mentioned the obvious solution here? I just use waterproof ink. De atramentis document ink is so good you can watercolour over it, and I've had no problem with it in my pen. My husband likes platinum carbon which is also waterproof.

Prefer Noodler's X-Feather myself (which mainly goes in my Lamy 2000), or for just addressing envelopes I have Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng in a Preppy with a very broad nib. Both of which are waterproof. But I guess some people want a very specific color that may not be available with waterproof attributes, or something they may not want to put in their desired pen. (I'm less likely to put X-Feather in a sac based vintage, and definitely not going to put KTC into something I can't just toss if it turns to stone in the feed). Guess it's also more of a personal level of comfort, like I'm less likely to use Platinum Carbon Black over X-Feather in terms of clogging factor (Depends on the pen I guess), usually if I cannot safely completely disassemble the nib/feed/section, I try not to put carbon/bulletproof/etc inks in it.

There's also FP-friendly iron galls like R&K Salix or Scabiosa that are also waterproof, but also on the lighter side of the color options. (a tad easier to clean than Noodler's bulletproof stuff, just want to clean it good, iron gall doesn't like touching other inks, nor does half of Noodler's line up for that matter it seems like, *cough BSB cough* lol).

That brings me to one of my own "what I learned" : Pen Hygiene is so very very important.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (October 4th, 2018)

Thanks

I tried noodlers heart of darkness but I was very disappointed. Its supposed to be waterproof but it smears with a small amount of water (you can't tell if you pour a bucket on like the demos you see) so it's completely useless for watercolour. Seems more greasy somehow than the de atramentis too.

Thanks

I tried noodlers heart of darkness but I was very disappointed. Its supposed to be waterproof but it smears with a small amount of water (you can't tell if you pour a bucket on like the demos you see) so it's completely useless for watercolour. Seems more greasy somehow than the de atramentis too.

Thus why I didn't get HoD (seemed more like a lettering ink). I Went with X-Feather after Black Eel seemed like it smudged too much, and X-Feather as the name implied didn't even feather for me on the crap paper we used for our design and it was filling darker and more evenly than the copic markers I had (the copic markers were black, but you could see the stroke edges from filling in some of the shapes with a slight sheen reflected under the light).

But I also don't do water color, but have had experience seeing X-Feather not move an inch with water on it after it's been dried.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Thus why I didn't get HoD (seemed more like a lettering ink). I Went with X-Feather after Black Eel seemed like it smudged too much, and X-Feather as the name implied didn't even feather for me on the crap paper we used for our design and it was filling darker and more evenly than the copic markers I had (the copic markers were black, but you could see the stroke edges from filling in some of the shapes with a slight sheen reflected under the light).

But I also don't do water color, but have had experience seeing X-Feather not move an inch with water on it after it's been dried.
    Ooh, that sounds very interesting. Thank you.

Thanks

Ooh, that sounds very interesting. Thank you.

No problem, works quite well for my Lamy 2000 with an EF nib (my XXF in the Montblanc 225 kind of needs the lubrication of Black Eel, but I stopped using black in that pen).
    For $12 for 90ml/3oz seems like a good economical route for an everyday black as well as an artistic black that is pretty easy to get anywhere. You just treat it with the same caution you would with Platinum Carbon Black.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I started out in a similar fashion, whole butt load of cheap Chinese and Indian pens until I learned that for my purposes (I'm not particularly Broad+ guy) it would have been money far better spent on the likes of Pilot Petit1/Metropolitan/78G when it came to keeping it under $20 for EF~F/M and reliable out of the box.

Though where I ended up is kind of weird in a way in hindsight. Like the only Pilot pen I own now (after having acquired, gifted or sold, despite liking them, but scaling down) is a 1964 Pilot Super 250 with a 1968 14K Falcon nib. And the only other Japanese pen I still have in my setup is a Platinum Preppy 05 strictly to be used with Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng.

What I ended up with since around 2014, with the last almost 2 years not having acquired anything pen wise (with the exception of a purchase coming this weekend, the Long Murex and Homo Sapiens is no longer in my collection):

- Platinum Preppy 05, Steel "Medium" that oddly has a 0.9mm broad tipping
    - (>2013) Lamy Al-Star Matte Black, Steel Fine
    - (>2012) Lamy 2000, 14K Extra-Fine (Rhodium Plated) nib
    - (2002+) Danitrio Mae West, Japanese Ebonite coated with Recession Urushi, 18K Factory Stub (Jowo "T")
    - (2008) Pelikan M640 Special Edition (Mount Everest), 18K Medium
    - (2001) Aurora Afrika Limited Edition (#1,765 of 7,500), 18K ~Extra-Fine
    - (1970s) Montblanc °225, Platinum coated 14k Extra-Extra-Fine
    - (Early 1970s) Parker 75 Cisele (Sterling Silver Crosshatch), 14k '63' EF (~Extra-Extra-Fine) nib
    - (May 22nd, 1964) Pilot Super 250, 1/4 turn filler, 14K Falcon Nib (Dated 1968)
    - (1950~60s) Pelikan 140 Export Model (Black with Green ink window), 14K Broad Cursive Italic nib
    - (1960s) [acquiring soon] Montblanc 14, 18C EF/F nib
    - (1956) Pelikan 400NN, 14K Semi-flex Extra-Fine nib
    - (1930s) Mabie Todd LTD (UK) Swan 205/60 (Black Chased Celluloid), 14K Swan '2' Semi-Flex Extra-Fine Nib
    - (1920s) Wahl #2 w/ 14K Semi-Flex Needlepoint Nib
    - (1910s-1921) Mabie Todd & Co (N.Y. USA) w/ 14K Flex Fine Nib

Compared to this excessiveness in August 2015 (roughly 1.5 years since start), when I decided I needed to reduce down to 16 or less

Spoiler: 

Left Side starting with that Wahl-Eversharp at top left.

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline Classic (Modern), Blue with Palladium Cap, Steel Semi-Flex F~M ceramic-coated (requires pressure close to noodler's)

Mabie Todd N.Y. Swan 2 Self-Filling Pen (~1910s-1921), Black Chased Hard Rubber, no clip/ring/etc. 14K '2' Flexible Fine.

Pelikan P20 Silvexa FP+BP Set (1970s), 14K OB, brushed caps, cartridge pen (2x short international back to back). One of the pens I'm selling/trading.

Eversharp Skyline Standard (1940s), 14K Firm Fine, 1/10 14K Gold-Filled Cap, dark green body/section and cap dome. Also one I'm selling/trading.

Filcao Atlantica Standard, Pentrace Green (2004 LE), Sterling Silver cap band and end cap band, button filler. Schmidt Steel Medium (~ Western Fine).

Pilot Long Murex, Steel Integrated <F> Nib, October 1978, Hiratsuka Plant.

Pilot Metal Falcon, Brown, 14K Soft Extra-Fine, currently inked with Diamine Hope Pink in a Con-70 button filler.

Platinum Preppy 02/EF (Noodler's X-Feather) and 05/M (Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng). Electrical tape on the EF due to some cracks in cap lip that formed in less than a couple weeks.

Center, Starting with the deep blue Omas at top down to the 'Montblanc Repair Service' telescoping tube.

1992 Omas Europa Limited Edition (#2,454), Blue Vegetal Resin, Piston filler, 18K 2-tone Firm Fine. Another that I'm selling/trading.

2011 Omas 360 Blue with Rose Gold trim/nib. 18K Springy Extra-Fine. Cartridge/Converter.

Lamy Studio, Palladium, 14K Medium

Lamy 2000, post-2009, 14K Extra-Fine

Danitrio Mae West (Hyotan), Lacquered Ebonite, 18K 2-tone Jowo "T" Stub nib.

1950s Pelikan 140, Black with green ink window, Export model, soft/springy 14K Broad cursive italic, piston filler.

Wahl #2 (1920s), gold-filled body and cap, lever filler, 14K Wahl '2' Semi-flex needlepoint. Currently inked with R&K Scabiosa (Iron Gall)

Aurora Afrika Limited Edition (#1,765 of... 7,500 not very 'limited'), Piston filler, "Large" 18K Medium that writes like a western EF, very firm but has a nice pencil feedback that writes instantly. Currently inked with Tsuki-yo

Pelikan M640 Special Edition, Mount Everest, 18K 2-tone Medium. Piston Filler. Currently inked with Noodler's blue Steel.

Right Side in the tray down.

Mabie Todd (UK) Swan 205/60, 1930s, Black Chased Celluloid, 14k '2' Semi-flex EF

Parker 75 Cisele, 14K '63' EF, Sterling Silver cap/body.

1956 Pelikan 400NN, Green Striped, Piston Filler, 14K Semi-Flex EF with a hard rubber nib/feed collar instead of steel/plastic

1953-57 Eversharp Slim Ventura 'Burp', 1/10 14K Gold-Filled cap and barrel, Aerometric/Squeeze filler, 14K Firm (very smooth) F~M, with XXF on the flip side.

Eversharp Skyline Standard (1940s), Black with 1/10 14K Gold-Filled Cap, 14K Semi-Flex EF , the same nib shown on the top right for the August cover image.

Eversharp Skyline Standard (1940s), Red/White (changed to green) striated celluloid cap, Navy Blue Body/Dome (aka "Army-Navy configuration"), 14K ~Flexible Fine.

Montblanc 225 (1970s), Platinated Cap, Black Body, Platinum coated 14K Firm-but-Smooth XXF, piston filler

Montblanc 221 (1980s?), Cartridge/Converter, 14K Very-springy Fine.

Wahl-Oxford (1930s), Black/White Striped Celluloid Lever Filler, 14K Springy-to-Semi-Flex 'warranted' EF nib.

First-Year Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel with a 14K Gold Snorkel Tube. 2-tone 14K EF Triumph Nib. Grey Body

Eversharp Doric in Kashmir, Lever Filler, 14K #3 Adjustable flex nib.

Versus what I had in May of 2014 :

Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk (Summer 2013 Design, Goulet Exclusive) with a Goulet 2-tone Extra Fine Nib
    Platinum PTL-5000 with a Fine 14K Gold Nib and Urushi/Maki-e Artwork
    Pilot Elite "Big Cap" (Late 70s, Early 80s) with an Extra Fine Nib
    Pilot Metropolitan Bronze Lizard with a Medium Nib
    Pilot 78G (Green) with a Broad/Stub Nib*
    Pilot 78G (Teal) with a Medium Nib*
    Ultra (1958 Import from Italy) with a fine partially hooded nib*
    Montblanc No.225 Piston Pen with a 14K Gold Nib with Platinum Coating
    Ero (mid 80s?) German Piston Pen with a "1" Nib (has some flex)*
    Faber-Castell BASIC with Leather Barrel with a Fine Nib

Unbranded Green Celluloid Pen (1930s) that I put a brand new sac in, 14K "Warranted" Gold nib*
    Sheaffer Craftsman in Persian Blue (~1947-1949)with a #33 Nib (14K Gold)*
    Sheaffer Touchdown Admiral in Evergreen Green (1951) with a Feathertouch (14K Gold + Platinum Plated) Accounting Nib (extra-extra-fine line)
    Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral (1953) in Black with a Medium 14K Gold Nib
    Sheaffer Student Pen (Late 60s) with a "F" Steel Nib*
    Nemosine Singularity Demonstrator with a Goulet 2-tone 1.5 Stub Nib (*well maybe without the stub lol)
    Jinhao X750 "Shimmering Sands" with a Monteverde Black Coated Fine Nib
    Jinhao 159 with a Jinhao Medium Nib*
    Jinhao 159 with a Goulet 2-tone Medium Nib

And two months before the above (March 2014) when I started.

Uranus KSF-301 w/ M-F Nib
    Huashilai 2111 w/ M Nib
    Wing Sung 3203 w/ M Nib
    Kaigelu 363 w/ M Nib
    Hero 616 w/ F Hooded Nib (but smoothed)
    Jinhao 611 w/ F Hooded Nib
    Sheaffer Craftsman w/ #33 14K Gold Nib
    Sheaffer Touchdown Admiral w/ Feathertouch EF (14K Gold, Platinum Coated) Nib
    Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral w/ Medium 14K Gold Nib
    Sheaffer Student Pen w/ "F" Nib (writes medium)
    Baoer 507 "8 Horse" w/ Medium Adjusted Nib
    Jinhao X450 w/ Goulet 2-tone 1.5mm Stub Nib
    Nemosine Singularity w/ Jinhao M Nib
    Jinhao X750 w/ Goulet 2-tone EF Nib
    That's a lot of pens I think I'd feel completely overwhelmed with any one of those arrays, but for some reason I like my "pen life" simple. It seems you got the bug, and kept going and going, whereas I seem to be going the other way, and settling on 2-3 for the foreseeable future.