Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What I've Learned So Far - A Noobs Tale

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Default Re: What I've Learned So Far - A Noobs Tale

Enjoyed your journey, Wuddus. You'll be missed.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Wuddus (August 5th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Glad you've found what you were seeking and may you have much enjoyment from your pens! Hope you drop in once in awhile to say hi.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (August 5th, 2018), Wuddus (August 5th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post
    I was looking online at a couple of pens today, wondering what was next... I guess I finally learned how addictive they are.

No more!

I went to my pen pot, and found all these pens inked up.

Attachment 40265

Plus there's another 3008 drying after being flushed out

Plus there's two more spare 3008s in a drawer

Plus five spare Baoer 388s to come

Plus a Parker Vector set with three nib sizes

Plus a dip pen with a few different nibs

Plus all my other types of pens

ENOUGH! Behave yourself, Wuddus!

Realistically, I'm highly unlikely to ever need to buy another fountain pen. That's zero to excess in less than six months. Even if I'm really clumsy with a couple and wreck them, lose a couple, and give a couple away, I'll still be good for a few inks and nibs on the go at once, plus spares in the drawer. However, including the 388s that aren't here yet, that's less than £50 for the lot! I'm delighted with that result.

Sixteen pens is far too many, but some of the spare will end up in the hands of others (friends and family) as "starter pens". I put that in inverted commas, as some of these aren't starters at all - they're finishers as far as I'm concerned - and made the other pens I was looking at online today seem rather uninspiring in comparison.

The journey isn't over though, anymore than a hike is finished just because you've found the right boots. I'll gradually meander my way through inks and paper, and what I can achieve with them. I look forward to many years of putting scuffs, scratches, and general wear and tear on my new companions.

I wonder how long it will take me to wear out my first nib...
    I begin to understand why you've drawn the line at not spending more than £10 on a fountain pen... if in fact you've not crossed that line by now. Or have you crossed it? What do you do when a pretty little thing with a gleaming nib catches your eye, but it's priced at 11 quid? Or 12 quid?
    It's unlikely, as I've stopped looking

If I did happen to see one, my reaction would probably be "Meh, it can't do anything that my pens can". I'm mainly using the Wing Sung 3008 demonstrator, stainless Baoer 388 and Ohto Tasche, but in truth I'd probably be happy with just the Baoer 388. I have one in use, and five spares in a drawer. That's me set for life, probably. I'm genuinely not interested in owning any more pens, as I'm more than satisfied with what I already have. Anything else would just be pointless, no matter how cheap or pretty it might be.

I've seen a nice looking brass Kaweco Sport clone, but one quick glance at the pen pot, and it has no appeal anymore. I'd rather make that realisation now before buying it, than when dumping it in the pen pot with all the other stuff that's not getting used. More purchases would just annoy me and lead to buyers remorse. I feel the same way with inks too. I've got what I need, and would rather replace it when it runs out, than when it goes lumpy because its not being used.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Enjoyed your journey, Wuddus. You'll be missed.
    Thanks Sailor. It's been fun.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (August 5th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Glad you've found what you were seeking and may you have much enjoyment from your pens! Hope you drop in once in awhile to say hi.
    Thanks azkid. I will pop back occasionally, and let you guys know if anything's changed

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 5th, 2018), junglejim (August 5th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (August 6th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

You'll be missed, Wuddus. I enjoyed reading your impressions about the Mystery Ink series. As the old song goes here in the States, "Happy Trails to you, until we meet again!"

All the Best.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Wuddus (August 18th, 2018)

Thanks

I've enjoyed your posts. I don't really think I'm a pen geek either but I do enjoy coming over and reading people's posts. I've only just inked up my second pen and it was a super cheapo one you recommended hahaha. I haven't written with it yet though. Good luck with whatever you decide to mini quest on next!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

Wuddus (August 18th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

I'm not entirely sure that one need be either a geek or a compulsive shopper to find this a pleasant place to drop by and chat. I think all it requires is a love for, or at least an interest in, fountain pens. In any event, it's been a genuine pleasure reading your posts, Wuddus, and if you feel the urge to come back a bit more often than you're currently anticipating, don't stay away out of fear that you'll be mistaken for one of those vintage pop groups that keep doing endless "farewell" tours. From the tenor of these remarks it seems you'll always be welcome here.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Kazoomi (October 17th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (August 6th, 2018), Wuddus (August 18th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    You'll be missed, Wuddus. I enjoyed reading your impressions about the Mystery Ink series. As the old song goes here in the States, "Happy Trails to you, until we meet again!"

All the Best.
    Thanks JJ.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suzy01 View Post
    I've enjoyed your posts. I don't really think I'm a pen geek either but I do enjoy coming over and reading people's posts. I've only just inked up my second pen and it was a super cheapo one you recommended hahaha. I haven't written with it yet though. Good luck with whatever you decide to mini quest on next!

Which one was that, Suzy?

I seem to only be using three of mine at the moment. The Baoer 388, Jinhao 250, and OHTO Tasche. I still really like the Wing Sung 3008 too, but metal bodied pens seem to be what I'm reaching for most right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    I'm not entirely sure that one need be either a geek or a compulsive shopper to find this a pleasant place to drop by and chat. I think all it requires is a love for, or at least an interest in, fountain pens. In any event, it's been a genuine pleasure reading your posts, Wuddus, and if you feel the urge to come back a bit more often than you're currently anticipating, don't stay away out of fear that you'll be mistaken for one of those vintage pop groups that keep doing endless "farewell" tours. From the tenor of these remarks it seems you'll always be welcome here.
    Thanks Calamus,

I've not left completely, just kind of faded into the background a while Fountain pens are still doing most of the scribbling in Chateau Wuddus, but I did throw a cheap ballpoint in my pocket yesterday. I very rarely use a ballpoint in the house though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suzy01 View Post

Which one was that, Suzy?

I seem to only be using three of mine at the moment. The Baoer 388, Jinhao 250, and OHTO Tasche. I still really like the Wing Sung 3008 too, but metal bodied pens seem to be what I'm reaching for most right now.
    I think it's called jinhao 750. It writes very smoothly. I'm impressed. I'm using it for mystery ink 20. I like the metal body too. It looks like it costs much more than sub £3

20. The Following User Says Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

Wuddus (October 2nd, 2018)

Thanks

Well, in the six weeks since last updating this thread, I've just used two pens - the Baoer 388 at home, and the OHTO Tasche when I've left the house. I have occasionally thought about inking up one of the others just for a change... but it never got beyond a fleeting thought. I'm simply not tiring of these two pens. I'm even now considering giving all the others a complete dismantle and thorough deep clean, and chucking them all in a drawer, because seeing them all in the pen pot it starting to get annoying. While they were necessary stepping stones to get to a position of comfort, they now look like wasted money. I'll probably leave out one of the piston fillers (Wing Sung 3008), in case I have any extended writing sessions, but at the moment, they too are empty and unused.

Thankfully I don't feel the same about the inks, and still enjoy the occasional change. I think that in time they'll dwindle too. Diamine's Grape, Twilight, and Chocolate Brown seem to be getting most of the attention. Amaranth was a foolish purchase, though does mix nicely with Oxblood, and so is salvageable that way. Teal is too close to Twilight to buy again, and Sherwood Green and Burnt Sienna are nice fun inks, but I seem to want to go back to a "proper" grown-up colour after a converter full.

I think this is the longest I've been "settled" with any of the pens so far, and did expect to have yearned for at least taking one of the others for a spin. I haven't been tempted to shop around for any others though. I do have spares of two of the top three, but haven't been tempted for any spare Taches, as one of the 388s can comfortably fill that role if anything happens to it, and the three will become two. I do think one piston filler and one cartridge/converter pen is sensible though, so I don't think I'll ever get down to one.

As to ballpoints, they've been used for official forms, and for addressing envelopes, and they are noticeably less enjoyable to use when I do. However, I don't do that kind of thing enough to add any permanent ink to the array, so I think ballpoints will always remain on hand for those jobs.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (October 2nd, 2018), azkid (October 2nd, 2018), countrydirt (October 2nd, 2018), Kazoomi (October 17th, 2018), Morgaine (October 2nd, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (October 3rd, 2018), suzy01 (October 2nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Thanks for the update!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

Well, in the six weeks since last updating this thread, I've just used two pens - the Baoer 388 at home, and the OHTO Tasche when I've left the house. I have occasionally thought about inking up one of the others just for a change... but it never got beyond a fleeting thought. I'm simply not tiring of these two pens. I'm even now considering giving all the others a complete dismantle and thorough deep clean, and chucking them all in a drawer, because seeing them all in the pen pot it starting to get annoying. While they were necessary stepping stones to get to a position of comfort, they now look like wasted money. I'll probably leave out one of the piston fillers (Wing Sung 3008), in case I have any extended writing sessions, but at the moment, they too are empty and unused.

Thankfully I don't feel the same about the inks, and still enjoy the occasional change. I think that in time they'll dwindle too. Diamine's Grape, Twilight, and Chocolate Brown seem to be getting most of the attention. Amaranth was a foolish purchase, though does mix nicely with Oxblood, and so is salvageable that way. Teal is too close to Twilight to buy again, and Sherwood Green and Burnt Sienna are nice fun inks, but I seem to want to go back to a "proper" grown-up colour after a converter full.

I think this is the longest I've been "settled" with any of the pens so far, and did expect to have yearned for at least taking one of the others for a spin. I haven't been tempted to shop around for any others though. I do have spares of two of the top three, but haven't been tempted for any spare Taches, as one of the 388s can comfortably fill that role if anything happens to it, and the three will become two. I do think one piston filler and one cartridge/converter pen is sensible though, so I don't think I'll ever get down to one.

As to ballpoints, they've been used for official forms, and for addressing envelopes, and they are noticeably less enjoyable to use when I do. However, I don't do that kind of thing enough to add any permanent ink to the array, so I think ballpoints will always remain on hand for those jobs.
    For addressing envelopes you could try the trick of writing with your FP then rubbing a candle over it after it's dry.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

AzJon (October 3rd, 2018), Wuddus (October 3rd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    For addressing envelopes you could try the trick of writing with your FP then rubbing a candle over it after it's dry.
    Yes I should, Chrissy. I keep thinking "that's a smart idea", then forgetting all about it when the time comes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I seem incapable of using not-black inks over a sustained period of time, much less for the entire cartridge-fill (cart/converter/piston/whichever), so I finally "solved" that "problem" by using not-black inks in Platinum Preppies (and the Preppy class of pens ("cheap")). I can keep those not-black inks available for years and use them the way my nature prefers, which is sparingly.

You could do the same with your unused pens. They'd be serving a purpose waiting in your pen pot.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Wuddus (October 3rd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Yes I should, Chrissy. I keep thinking "that's a smart idea", then forgetting all about it when the time comes

That's why I keep a taper right where I write my letters.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Wuddus (October 3rd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

Glad to see that you are doing well, Wuddus! Chrissy's suggestion of using a candle to rub over your envelope address is one I haven't heard of and is a great idea. I received a postcard from my Penpal FredRydr a few days ago that met with a rain shower somewhere between Pennsylvania and California. Everything except part of the street name and zipcode +4 disappeared in a pretty blend of colors. Luckily, the mail lady was able to deliver it since she knew I was the only one on her route that regularly gets oldtime postcards. So Fred, if you are reading this, thanks for the card but I have no idea what you wrote!

All the Best.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Kazoomi (October 17th, 2018), Wuddus (October 3rd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    a rain shower somewhere between Pennsylvania and California. Everything except part of the street name and zipcode +4 disappeared in a pretty blend of colors.

How does that even happen?! Surely the mail is an enclosed system?