Thread: What I've Learned So Far - A Noobs Tale

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,023 Posts

Default Re: What I've Learned So Far - A Noobs Tale

I haven't plowed all the way into all the posts (I will, Wuddus, I promise) but noticed Vert's bit above. Two thoughts I'd share regarding vintage:

1. Yes, don't do it blindly, consider buying from a dealer. Nibs.com is one place, though their inventory is somewhat pricey. I would consider checking out Peyton Street Pens. Teri Morris has been in business for around 10 years, is *wonderful* to deal with, and stocks both a large array of restored vintage plus a pretty good amount of NOS (New Old Stock) pens that they go over thoroughly. I bought a number of my first vintage pens from her when I was starting out and I was never disappointed.

2. While this dump has seen a scary-large growth in the sales threads (i.e. people who come here only to sell, not to be part of the 'community'), there *are* people who both post regularly as well as sell pens, many who have vintage. Watch for a while, get to know the names, and consider that an entry point. Will Gunadi is posting a bit less frequently here these days, but I can point you in his direction. His main focus is moderatly price, entry-level vintage primarily for people who are getting some of their first vint pens. He's a good guy to deal with.

You'll get there. Hell, drop me a line some time if you want to, I have a bunch of pens I could offload that will be good starters.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (May 8th, 2018), Empty_of_Clouds (May 8th, 2018), penwash (May 20th, 2018), VertOlive (May 8th, 2018), Wuddus (May 9th, 2018)