Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: What I've Learned So Far - A Noobs Tale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 821 Posts

Default Re: What I've Learned So Far - A Noobs Tale

It's not the slickness. It's the cold and hard. But that cute lil' pen is a temptation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post
    I enjoyed your Baoer review! If only this little pen did not have a metal section....
    It doesn't. The Jinhao 250 does.

Attachment 44433

The Jinhao 250 is above, with the Baoer 388 below. I'm pretty sure the section is a hard plastic.
    Hmmm...those were not the pens I meant...
    "There are not the droids you're looking for."

Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

When I clicked on your link, it took me to a review of a little black Baoer pen with hooded nib.
    Ahh, sorry. I thought you were referring to something I'd reviewed in this thread, not the link that ilikenails had posted.

Thanks

It's not the slickness. It's the cold and hard. But that cute lil' pen is a temptation.
    Lacquered metal feels more like plastic than metal - the thicker the coat of lacquer, the less like metal. I completely understand your feelings - I avoid metal sections. (And triangular sections, and sections with a step...)

A trick you might try is ordering a Wing Sung 3003 and one of the replacement nibs for a Wing Sung 698. The 698 nibs are much better quality, but they swap in fine. That gives you the equivalent of a Pilot Prera (the pen the 3003 is modelled on) but with a better size, for about four pounds. It's the sort of combination that would go for 30-60 from a Japanese or European brand in the UK.
    Last edited by ilikenails; December 29th, 2018 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    Lacquered metal feels more like plastic than metal - the thicker the coat of lacquer, the less like metal. I completely understand your feelings - I avoid metal sections. (And triangular sections, and sections with a step...)

A trick you might try is ordering a Wing Sung 3003 and one of the replacement nibs for a Wing Sung 698. The 698 nibs are much better quality, but they swap in fine. That gives you the equivalent of a Pilot Prera (the pen the 3003 is modelled on) but with a better size, for about four pounds. It's the sort of combination that would go for 30-60 from a Japanese or European brand in the UK.
    I don't mind metal sections, but don't like them stepped or out of round. I also prefer them smooth to having a tread on them.

The Ohto Tasche is just a plain metal tube, which also doesn't dictate how far away your fingers should be from the nib, like some short sectioned pens do. We don't all have the same hand width/length, so being able to alter your grip location, gives you more feeling of control of the pen angle. I think this might be one of the reasons I like the other two main pens in my array. They just feel right in terms of angle. Some of the others feel a little "off", and I kind of wish the section let me hold it differently. I can't give specifics as I haven't used them in a while.