Thread: HUH? The Avengers?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default HUH? The Avengers?

I keep seeing ads for some Avengers movie that show a whole bunch of really weird people and critters but neither of the Avengers? What happened to Jon Stead and Emma Peel? Are the things shown in the ads some Dalak like opponents?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (May 21st, 2018), SIR (May 22nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,155 Posts

Default Re: HUH? The Avengers?

Considering the wrong-headed 1990s attempt to bring the TV (as opposed to the comic-book) Avengers to the big screen, it's probably a good thing there's no sign of John Steed and Emma Peel.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 11th, 2018), Cob (May 12th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Considering the wrong-headed 1990s attempt to bring the TV (as opposed to the comic-book) Avengers to the big screen, it's probably a good thing there's no sign of John Steed and Emma Peel.
    So this is a comic book parody of the Avengers?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,155 Posts

Thanks

Amazing. So there was even an earlier movie based on the comic book. I see references to people going to comic book stores in sitcoms and to "Comicoms" and there is even at least one comic book store here in the valley but I always just assumed it was mostly a comic relief plot device.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I keep seeing ads for some Avengers movie that show a whole bunch of really weird people and critters but neither of the Avengers? What happened to Jon Stead and Emma Peel? Are the things shown in the ads some Dalak like opponents?
    I think you might be showing your age there jar.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 11th, 2018), myu (May 12th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Different group that calls themselves the Avengers.

Have you heard of Captain America the superhero?
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

The Jon Stead and Emma Peel Avengers aired in 1961. The first Avengers comic based in the Marvel comic-book universe was printed in 1963, which was in turn a collection of superheroes that had comics dating earlier than that. The Avengers was the Marvel correlate to DC Comics Justice League

"Comic-con" is short for "comic [book] convention", aka a gathering of comic book enthusiasts that has now spread out to "Nerd Culture" sci-fi and fantasy comics, games, tv shows, and movies.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I think you might be showing your age there jar.
    He shows his age everywhere. As do I, I imagine.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

Emma Peel moved on to ruling Highgarden in Westeros. Didn’t work out well for her. Undercover work was much safer.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 11th, 2018), myu (May 12th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Reminded of a fine evening...

Quite a few years ago my wife and I were on a 1-week holiday in London. Most of the nights were taken up with concerts (orchestral and chamber music) but one night we attempted tickets for the ballet, featuring some of the last performances of some famous ballerina (not my thing). They were sold out.

We started to see what else might be on in the West End that night and came across a production of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?". The lead roles (*not* Burton/Taylor!) were David Suchet and none other than Dianna Rigg as Martha. Found some great seats and after dinner, took in the show. Her turn on stage was absolutely harrowing.

As we walked back to the tube after the show, we discussed how insane it must be to vent those kind of emotions for a couple hours then go back to the dressing room and calmly go home. My wife summed up the power of the performance thusly: "I feel like I'm walking on snails, barefoot. Ick."
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Different group that calls themselves the Avengers.

Have you heard of Captain America the superhero?
    No.

Thanks

Part of the problem is that no one in the family was into comic books, we simply never had them in the house. And play with friends was almost all out doors so we never got exposed to comics that way.

I knew about Superman but Batman just always seemed silly. I was aware of Wonder Woman though.

Thanks

The movie industry caught "Marvel Fever"... Marvel, as in the Marvel Comics house. Stan Lee was a renowned creator, writer, editor, and art director there, eventually becoming so successful as to have a pretty big stake in the company. He was briefly president, but didn't like the duties and went back to the publishing end. He created or helped develop many well known comic book characters. Today when people hear "Marvel" they immediately think of Stan Lee.

Marvel was instrumental in bringing comic book characters to the big screen. "Men in Black" was the first, and most people don't know that it was based on a comic book series. Then came X-Men and Spiderman. Avengers is another one in the whole string of comic book character movies. At this point there has been so many, you'd think audiences would be tired of it. But every time... the hype machine gets people going and box office sales are enormous. Doesn't look like they'll be stopping them any time soon, unfortunately.

Thanks

Neat. Hope folk enjoy them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myu View Post
    The movie industry caught "Marvel Fever"... Marvel, as in the Marvel Comics house. Stan Lee was a renowned creator, writer, editor, and art director there, eventually becoming so successful as to have a pretty big stake in the company. He was briefly president, but didn't like the duties and went back to the publishing end. He created or helped develop many well known comic book characters. Today when people hear "Marvel" they immediately think of Stan Lee.

Marvel was instrumental in bringing comic book characters to the big screen. "Men in Black" was the first, and most people don't know that it was based on a comic book series. Then came X-Men and Spiderman. Avengers is another one in the whole string of comic book character movies. At this point there has been so many, you'd think audiences would be tired of it. But every time... the hype machine gets people going and box office sales are enormous. Doesn't look like they'll be stopping them any time soon, unfortunately.
    I mean, if they keep doing a good job and are entertaining, I don't particularly see a problem with them continuing. I mean, the comic books themselves have been around for the better part of a century. I particularly don't mind when we got something like Black Panther that was a mainstream, heavily attended film that touched on some very serious, very topical issues. The story, much like the name itself, is not a subtle metaphor.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

penwash (May 13th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Who will be playing John Steed? When Patrick Macnee played him I was so impressed by his sartorial elegance that I took to using his tailor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Who will be playing John Steed? When Patrick Macnee played him I was so impressed by his sartorial elegance that I took to using his tailor.
    Who cares about his sartorial elegance; I want his car!