Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Royal Mail versus the little person: Up for the challenge!

  1. #21
    Senior Member AzJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Flagstaff
    Posts
    527
    Thanks
    602
    Thanked 496 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Royal Mail versus the little person: Up for the challenge!

    I shipped some ink to Canada last week. It came to my attention at the post office that fountain pen ink was fine, but a fountain pen was a restricted item.

  2. #22
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    4,895
    Thanks
    2,168
    Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,560 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Royal Mail versus the little person: Up for the challenge!

    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    I shipped some ink to Canada last week. It came to my attention at the post office that fountain pen ink was fine, but a fountain pen was a restricted item.
    Really? How weird is that?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  3. #23
    Senior Member AzJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Flagstaff
    Posts
    527
    Thanks
    602
    Thanked 496 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Royal Mail versus the little person: Up for the challenge!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    I shipped some ink to Canada last week. It came to my attention at the post office that fountain pen ink was fine, but a fountain pen was a restricted item.
    Really? How weird is that?
    It certainly raised an eyebrow. I wasn't shipping a pen to Canada, so I didn't press the issue. Might have to do a little digging to figure out what that's about.

  4. #24
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    2,189
    Thanks
    419
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 935 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Royal Mail versus the little person: Up for the challenge!

    Perhaps restricted meant subject to Canada customs duty?

    It is correct that fountain pens are generally subject to 7% duty (subject to a long list of preferential tariffs which may be relevant to your shipment to Canada), while ink to fill them is not. Note that pens over 100 years old (i.e., antiques) are exempt. (See Canada tariffs schedule for 2019, sections 32.15, 96.08, 9706.00 and their subsections.)

    Then there are taxes and fees apart from customs duties.

  5. #25
    Senior Member AzJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Flagstaff
    Posts
    527
    Thanks
    602
    Thanked 496 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Royal Mail versus the little person: Up for the challenge!

    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Perhaps restricted meant subject to Canada customs duty?

    It is correct that fountain pens are generally subject to 7% duty (subject to a long list of preferential tariffs which may be relevant to your shipment to Canada), while ink to fill them is not. Note that pens over 100 years old (i.e., antiques) are exempt. (See Canada tariffs schedule for 2019, sections 32.15, 96.08, 9706.00 and their subsections.)

    Then there are taxes and fees apart from customs duties.
    Yup. Went to double check. It requires shipping insurance of up to $200 (ha!) and is subject to customs duties. It is classified as "jewelry".

  6. #26
    Senior Member Scrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    992
    Thanks
    730
    Thanked 920 Times in 422 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Royal Mail versus the little person: Up for the challenge!

    It is not worthwhile to buy pens from abroad. The fees are based on the current conversion rate so when the Canadian dollar is weak the brokerage and handling fees on top of the taxes can easily double the price of a pen. One time my mother sent me a birthday gift and I had to pay $157.00 at the post office to receive it.

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Regina, SK, CA
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Royal Mail versus the little person: Up for the challenge!

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    It is not worthwhile to buy pens from abroad. The fees are based on the current conversion rate so when the Canadian dollar is weak the brokerage and handling fees on top of the taxes can easily double the price of a pen. One time my mother sent me a birthday gift and I had to pay $157.00 at the post office to receive it.
    There are some workarounds. I have a US mailing address where I receive US shipments, which I then just declare at the border myself. No service charge, aside from my food and beverage requirements for the day

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to PhotoJim For This Useful Post:

    BayesianPrior (March 23rd, 2019)

  9. #28
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    309
    Thanked 61 Times in 39 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Royal Mail versus the little person: Up for the challenge!

    Well, All pen-friends Belgium, France and Netherland Now you are able to get your fingers Inky and it is legal.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •