Thread: Diamine exclusive inks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Default Diamine exclusive inks

It was bad enough when I discovered that Diamine Lapis Blue was probably the blue ink of my dreams, but is a Philippines exclusive and apparently can't be bought outside of the Philippines. Then I discover an ink with purportedly hallucinatory sheen called Skull & Roses, and it's a German exclusive. At least there appear to be companies in Germany that will ship Skull & Roses internationally, but I haven't been able to find anyone in the Philippines who will ship Lapis Blue.

Anyway, now I'm wondering how many other amazing inks Diamine produces that I can't have. I suppose I should be used to that sort of thing by now, living in California, the over-regulated "you can't have it" state, but ink? Really?

Anyway, I'm curious to know more about Diamine's exclusive inks, and any information would be welcome. It's not so much that I enjoy torturing myself as it is that I'd like to learn about rare and wondrous, hard-to-get inks out there, and how to get them!

Thanks.

Thanks

Default Re: Diamine exclusive inks

From an earlier post here, when I learned about the Diamine Dark Olive Green & Lapis ink, I asked for a recommendation of a Philippine Shop that sold online & was told to try EVERYTHING CALLIGRAPHY (www.everythingcalligraphy.com) & after determining they were in stock, the store offered me a variety of shipping options. I received the ink, in good order & was very happy for the experience.

I have posted this information previously & am happy to do so again. The cost of shipping was not inexpensive, but then shipping costs have risen everyplace. I found this quite easy in comparison to my initial search for the German exclusive Diamine inks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to soretailedcat For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 13th, 2018)

Thanks

Thank you so much. I just went to their website, and they are sold out of both the 30 ml and 80 ml bottles. I've emailed them asking if they expect to get more in. The Lapis Blue was listed with three other colors under the heading "2016," making me wonder if it was not only a Philippines exclusive, but a limited run to boot. Oh well... I will add a post to this thread when they get back to me.
    Last edited by calamus; May 13th, 2018 at 11:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I live in California and I have no problem with the way things are. Good luck with your ink. As an aside, there have been inks in the past where Diamine has made variations on a formula that were essentially identical. It is possible the Philippine ink may have a counterpart, but hopefully you'll be able to ship from the above source.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 13th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I live in California and I have no problem with the way things are. Good luck with your ink. As an aside, there have been inks in the past where Diamine has made variations on a formula that were essentially identical. It is possible the Philippine ink may have a counterpart, but hopefully you'll be able to ship from the above source.
    Thank you for wishing me luck. As for the counterpart possibility, I'm not aware of any other dark blue Diamine ink that's as vivid and rich as the Lapis Blue appears to be from the scans and photos I've seen. Of course, pictures can be deceiving.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Thank you for wishing me luck. As for the counterpart possibility, I'm not aware of any other dark blue Diamine ink that's as vivid and rich as the Lapis Blue appears to be from the scans and photos I've seen. Of course, pictures can be deceiving.
    Keep us posted how the hunt goes. I have a friend who is very well-connected in the pen/ink/etc world in the PPines and I can drop her a note if things aren't turning up.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

I can confirm that Diamine Lapis Blue isn't the same as any regular counterpart on the Diamine UK web-site, at least it wasn't when I reviewed it anyway.

I would also buy an 80ml bottle.

I wonder if it might be available from mixing two different blues? I'll look into that.....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I can confirm that Diamine Lapis Blue isn't the same as any regular counterpart on the Diamine UK web-site, at least it wasn't when I reviewed it anyway.
    Thanks Chrissy. Calamus, if anyone knows about this stuff, she does.

I wonder if it might be available from mixing two different blues? I'll look into that.....
    Keep us posted.

~ Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

It was bad enough when I discovered that Diamine Lapis Blue was probably the blue ink of my dreams, but is a Philippines exclusive and apparently can't be bought outside of the Philippines. Then I discover an ink with purportedly hallucinatory sheen called Skull & Roses, and it's a German exclusive. At least there appear to be companies in Germany that will ship Skull & Roses internationally, but I haven't been able to find anyone in the Philippines who will ship Lapis Blue.

Anyway, now I'm wondering how many other amazing inks Diamine produces that I can't have. I suppose I should be used to that sort of thing by now, living in California, the over-regulated "you can't have it" state, but ink? Really?

Anyway, I'm curious to know more about Diamine's exclusive inks, and any information would be welcome. It's not so much that I enjoy torturing myself as it is that I'd like to learn about rare and wondrous, hard-to-get inks out there, and how to get them!

Thanks.
    Lapis Blue & Olive Green were commissioned in 2014/15 by Peter Bangayan, a member of FPN-P, and I think he is/was the Diamine distributor in the Philippines. Dark Olive was nicknamed POGI - Peter’s Olive Green Ink & is sometimes still called that.
    I believe 150 bottles were originally made. I bought a few 80ml bottles a couple of years ago & indeed put a bottle of the Dark Olive up for sale on this forum a little while ago.

Although I’ve gifted some more to friends I still have 2 left of each. @calamus, if you would like to try Lapis, I would be happy to decant some (15ml or so) & send to you, if you’d be ok to pay postage? I’m in the U.K.

Diamine make inks for a number of sellers. Just for starters, if you haven’t tried them I recommend the Deep Dark range from Cultpens.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 14th, 2018), Jon Szanto (May 14th, 2018)

Thanks

My humble chromatography tests of Skull & Roses show a remarkable similarity to Pure Pens Saltire. Likewise Diamine Majestic Blue to Akkerman Shocking Blue. I couldn't find my bottle of Lapis Blue to test - it's here somewhere!
    I've a sample of a Diamine Blue made for a Polish recipient, and of course, there was the Diamine Racing Green - German exclusive - which I bought from Missing Pen.
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to The Good Captain For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

The other place to ask for availability would be pengrafik.com although I can't see it listed on that site.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    My humble chromatography tests of Skull & Roses show a remarkable similarity to Pure Pens Saltire. Likewise Diamine Majestic Blue to Akkerman Shocking Blue. I couldn't find my bottle of Lapis Blue to test - it's here somewhere!
    I've a sample of a Diamine Blue made for a Polish recipient, and of course, there was the Diamine Racing Green - German exclusive - which I bought from Missing Pen.
    And there’s Diamine Roman Bronze Oxidation.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

And Diamine Calligraphy Passion

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Oops I forgot this one. And I have a bottle of it too. It’s not my thing for writing but is great for sketching

25. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Oops I forgot this one. And I have a bottle of it too. It’s not my thing for writing but is great for sketching
    I have also one, but did not tried it yet.
    My son use it currently in school and likes it.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 14th, 2018)

Thanks

I would also buy an 80ml bottle.

Thank you so much! Do please let us know what you discover.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post

Lapis Blue & Olive Green were commissioned in 2014/15 by Peter Bangayan, a member of FPN-P, and I think he is/was the Diamine distributor in the Philippines. Dark Olive was nicknamed POGI - Peter’s Olive Green Ink & is sometimes still called that.
    I believe 150 bottles were originally made. I bought a few 80ml bottles a couple of years ago & indeed put a bottle of the Dark Olive up for sale on this forum a little while ago.

Although I’ve gifted some more to friends I still have 2 left of each. @calamus, if you would like to try Lapis, I would be happy to decant some (15ml or so) & send to you, if you’d be ok to pay postage? I’m in the U.K.

Diamine make inks for a number of sellers. Just for starters, if you haven’t tried them I recommend the Deep Dark range from Cultpens.
    Your offer is wonderfully generous. I would be delighted to take you up on it. And thank you for the heads up about Cult Pens Deep Dark range as well. PM forthcoming!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Keep us posted how the hunt goes. I have a friend who is very well-connected in the pen/ink/etc world in the PPines and I can drop her a note if things aren't turning up.
    Very kind of you. Thank you!!

Thanks

The other place to ask for availability would be pengrafik.com although I can't see it listed on that site.
    I queried pengrafik.com, and got a prompt reply from them saying that they have it in stock and will ship internationally! Apparently it's not listed on their website; the customer service rep is going to email me back their address for PayPal, and said I should send the payment there.

Thank you again for the suggestion. I'd already checked their website and not found it there, and kept meaning to query them anyway, but hadn't gotten around to it. Your nudge was what I needed to follow through.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 15th, 2018)