Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another member who cannot log on

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Default Another member who cannot log on

I may have mis-titled this thread. I received a message via FPNPM from a fellow Geek who has registered his user name here (Seney724) but has never been able to log on to participate in FPGeeks. I haven't experienced this issue and was unable to help him, so I suggested he write a description of his problem for me to copy and paste here as a new thread. Seney724 can watch this thread for more experienced souls to reply with a solution:

Hello All-

I registered for FPG a few months ago but never got the follow-up e-mail so I could become active with posts, view photos, etc. My user name shows upon top of the Forum site but I am not yet fully registered because of the not completing the e-mail verification. I have tried sending messages to every "administrator" link I can find on the site to get someone to send me the required e-mail but I have never received a reply from anyone! And, of course, I cannot make a post on the site to ask for help!!

Could someone please help me get in touch with the right person so I can complete my activation process?
    My user name is Seney724.

Thanks to all of you for any help or suggestions and, of course, to Fred for getting this in front of you!

An additional comment he just wrote:

The crazy thing is that I AM logged on!! I just cannot see photos, PM people or post anything anywhere!

Now friends, flood this thread with wisdom.
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 15th, 2018 at 08:37 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Seney724 (May 15th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Re: Another member who cannot log on

I knew someone who had a problem with Firefox and had to reset browser settings. So first check all browser settings. Or it might be a private window setting that's misbehaving. We can see that he's a member and he's logged-on because he was able to thank you for your post.

I suggest log out, clear history and start again. On a computer, not a phone. If that doesn't work then try and contact Eric to see what the problem could be.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Yup. First step is clear cache & history, then close browser and see if you can get in.

Thanks

Maybe download and install another browser, though I'd hate that as the solution.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Maybe download and install another browser, though I'd hate that as the solution.
    But itˋs a good advice and can be done in 5 minutes.

Beside that specific problem it is unfortunately true that there are still applications which behave and perform significant different in different browsers.
    It‘s usually not as bad as 15-20 years ago but still present.

Personally I prefer Firefox, Windows users have Edge/Internet Explorer installed anyway and to complete the browser Arsenal it‘s usually not a bad idea to have also Chrome installed (which is a fast browser but I never trust/liked it as it‘s from Google)

Thanks

It seems that not receiving the verification email is the problem. Maybe the email address was mistyped?

Might be worth clearing the cache and trying to register again, with the same email address (typed carefully) and a slightly different variation on the username. If the email was typed properly before, you shouldn't be able to register another username on it again. If the new registration goes through, then the issue was the email addy being entered wrong the first time around. Another way to test would be to do the "forgot password" option, and see if the reset email comes through... However, should that not come through, you might be locked out of the username for good, and have to reregister with a different name anyway ....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Poor s.o.b. is fed up:

Thanks Fred. I've tried it all. I've logged in from several different computers, both Macs & PCs and have used Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Safari.
    Nada.

I am convinced it is because I never got the e-mail required to confirm my identity.
    And, with no one driving the bus, there is no way to get one.

I'm on FPN and PT. Maybe two are enough..........

I appreciate your efforts!

There is a common thread running through these problems (I counted at least six threads in the first two index pages). Does the site owner care? I tried to help Marc Shiman get connected and he gave up, too, and he would have been a real asset for Italian pens and Mabie Todds. This sucks. FPN isn't the only pen website blocking new members.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Seney724 (May 15th, 2018)

Thanks

Poor s.o.b. is fed up:

Thanks Fred. I've tried it all. I've logged in from several different computers, both Macs & PCs and have used Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Safari.
    Nada.

I am convinced it is because I never got the e-mail required to confirm my identity.

There is a common thread running through these problems (I counted at least six threads in the first two index pages). Does the site owner care? I tried to help Marc Shiman get connected and he gave up, too, and he would have been a real asset for Italian pens and Mabie Todds. This sucks. FPN isn't the only pen website blocking new members.
    Blocking might not be the right term.
    Looking at the whole info I agree with Wuddus, that it is likely that the mail address was not entered correctly during registration.
    Another possible reason might be that registration mail might was blocked as spam from the mail provider or the local mail client.

Checking the spam folders locally and online (if the provider has the option to log on to a web interface) might reveal the registration mail.

Sometimes such things do not run smooth, maybe a technical or user problem somewhere in the registration chain, where the board provider can do little or nothing to prevent or resolve the issue.

And even it does not help and might be not true in this case, experience teaches that most root causes of issues are caused direct or indirect by the person sitting in front of the computer (btw. part of my job at work is to give support, and these guys are even technical experienced guys, but this does not change anything)
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; May 15th, 2018 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Nada.

If you never got the verification email required to confirm your identity then you should try what Wuddus suggests, and you should check every possible spam or junk folder that it might have gone into.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Looking at the whole info I agree with Wuddus, that it is likely that the mail address was not entered correctly during registration.
    Another possible reason might be that registration mail might was blocked as spam from the mail provider or the local mail client.

Checking the spam folders locally and online (if the provider has the option to log on to a web interface) might reveal the registration mail.

Sometimes such things do not run smooth, maybe a technical or user problem somewhere in the registration chain, where the board provider can do little or nothing to prevent or resolve the issue.

And even it does not help and might be not true in this case, experience teaches that most root causes of issues are caused direct or indirect by the person sitting in front of the computer (btw. part of my job at work is to give support, and these guys are even technical experienced guys, but this does not change anything)
    Look, you are just making a guess. Those of us who have been here for years and have seen the changes and transitions in how the site is managed would put a lot more stock in the simply fact that no one is at the helm. While I am grateful that Eric keeps paying the bills to host the site, it is wearying to go through these kind of issues year after year simply because we don't have effective and responsive administration of the forum. It is as simple as that. A good admin could take care of this in moments. Guessing games are pointless.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Seney724 (May 16th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 573 Posts

Wasn't someone complaining that this place needed to be a bit more like the other place? Thus it stands to reason that no one can initiate a new account...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Wasn't someone complaining that this place needed to be a bit more like the other place? Thus it stands to reason that no one can initiate a new account...
    Don't be unhelpful, you.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

Look, you are just making a guess. Those of us who have been here for years and have seen the changes and transitions in how the site is managed would put a lot more stock in the simply fact that no one is at the helm. While I am grateful that Eric keeps paying the bills to host the site, it is wearying to go through these kind of issues year after year simply because we don't have effective and responsive administration of the forum. It is as simple as that. A good admin could take care of this in moments. Guessing games are pointless.
    I do not agree with you.
    Guessing and try to give advice to that people is not pointless, it’s the only thing we can do to support these guys.
    Especially because we do not have an admin.

The registration is not broken, many people sign on day by day, so the most likely conclusion is that something else went wrong.
    It is for sure not a systematic problem of the board.

Agreed, if there is an admin and the mail address was wrong he could have changed it.
    He also might could have triggered the registration mail resending.
    But beside of that it is not in the responsibility of the admin to solve further problems outside his system like finding lost emails.
    This is clearly in the responsibility of the user to check their spam settings and folders.

And to make it clear, I do not like your always repeating hints that you are a old fellow and Iˋm not.
    I registered here about the same time as you, and admitted that I didn´t post much in the first 4 years I post regularly for more than 2 years now.
    And Iˋm sure when we would count the content posts in the last 2 years that Iˋve provided more content than you did.
    You are not an admin here, and I’m happy you are not.
    I appreciate your experience and respect your knowledge, but stop your cynical side notes.
    You are not an admin and you hopefully will never be one, and Iˋm clearly aware of the situation of the board.
    And I consider me also as one of the old fellows of the board, not a newbie, one of the few which constantly provide content here, helping preventing the steerless ship to sink because nobody likes dead boards without content.

In opposite to you I tried to help, you just act like the two old guys on the balcony in the Muppets show.

Thanks

I do not agree with you.
    Inconsequential.

The one important point from Fred's original message was the quote where the person having trouble had repeatedly sent emails to a number of addresses listed and received no replies whatsoever. This is an issue with the non-administration of this site; any site with a responsible admin would have remedied the situation. Feel free to type walls of text but it isn't getting anything done. This is a similar road to one we have gone down a number of times, whether or not you chose to be involved at that point.

Occam's razor in action.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I do not agree with you.
    Inconsequential.

The one important point from Fred's original message was the quote where the person having trouble had repeatedly sent emails to a number of addresses listed and received no replies whatsoever. This is an issue with the non-administration of this site; any site with a responsible admin would have remedied the situation. Feel free to type walls of text but it isn't getting anything done. This is a similar road to one we have gone down a number of times, whether or not you chose to be involved at that point.

Occam's razor in action.
    Provide a possible solution or workaround, unless you can‘t do that your posts are unhelpful and useless.

Thanks

Provide a possible solution or workaround, unless you can‘t do that your posts are unhelpful and useless.
    I have sent a message to the owner/admin, Eric. I can't imagine anything more direct or effective than that.

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (May 16th, 2018), jar (May 16th, 2018), penwash (May 16th, 2018), Seney724 (May 16th, 2018), welch (May 18th, 2018)

Thanks

...Looking at the whole info I agree with Wuddus, that it is likely that the mail address was not entered correctly during registration....
    That's what I thought, but he had already addressed that:

If you go to "My Settings" and then to "My Account" in FPG there is an "Edit Email & Password" section. There it displays your email address. It is correct.
    So, it's not that.........

If he had discovered an email in his spam folder, he would have posted himself by now, so don't hold your breath on that one.
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 16th, 2018 at 04:55 AM.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 16th, 2018), Seney724 (May 16th, 2018), welch (May 18th, 2018)

Thanks

I have sent a message to the owner/admin, Eric. I can't imagine anything more direct or effective than that.
    I provided one of Eric's email addresses to Seney724.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

jar (May 16th, 2018), Jon Szanto (May 16th, 2018), Seney724 (May 16th, 2018)

Thanks

...you just act like the two old guys on the balcony in the Muppets show.
    Ya gotta admit, that is a funny image. However, Jon cannot be both. I'm Statler; he's Waldorf.
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 16th, 2018 at 05:26 AM.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (May 16th, 2018), jar (May 16th, 2018), Jon Szanto (May 16th, 2018), Wuddus (May 16th, 2018)

Thanks

...you just act like the two old guys on the balcony in the Muppets show.
    Ya gotta admit, that is a funny image. However, Jon cannot be both. I'm Statler; he's Waldorf.
    Fuck off, Fred, I'm not old.

Oh, wait...

~ Benjamin Franklin