View Poll Results: Music nibs - Pilot or Sailor?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sailor

2 40.00%
  • Pilot

3 60.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Music nibs - Pilot or Sailor?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Default Re: Music nibs - Pilot or Sailor?

Guy says (Medieval, if you're not a guy, sorry), "Hey, after doing my due diligence, I've whittled my options down to these two specific brands and nibs types. Anyone have any feedback on these two specific brands and nibs that will help me choose between these two specific brands and nibs?"

Immediately, his due diligence is questioned.

After just over ten years of participating at fpn and in this forum (not much these past coupla years), I learned to answer the question. When someone asks for purchase options for a pen costing between $150 and $300, for instance, I don't hardsell him or her a Nakaya, even though Nakaya makes a very good and durable product and it is my favorite.

I might mention, "Hey, if you get to the $500 to $1,000 range -- as absurd as that sounds now -- you might want to consider a Nakaya, because (reasons)" after mentioning other pens in the price range requested.

I understand Medieval's frustration. If, like me, it takes a long time of considering this versus that versus the other thing and researching and comparing and then finally being able to dismiss all other options down to two -- then asking for opinions about those two options -- to have someone insist that I consider his favorite thing just because he's been on the boards for eight years, well, jesus christ. Frustrating!

The photo was helpful. Jon, you should have led with the photo.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

LeFreak (May 21st, 2018), Medieval (May 21st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gobblecup View Post
    Also we’re not talking about expert fountain pen repair, we’re talking about nib preferences.... So why bring up those who have repaired thousands of pens? I felt that the OP was being ignored and others (myself included) demeaned, and I said something. People don’t need a PhD in fountain pens to participate.
    No one has a right to not be demeaned.

Grow up.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Lisa, to be fair, I never insisted on anything. I only offered a counter-opinion to information I felt was not complete. I would have dropped it at that had the OP not distinctly stated that it didn't matter because every single opinion was equally valid. I happen to disagree with that. And to have an opinion, whether strong or not, does not denigrate another opinion - it is not a zero-sum game, it just doesn't overlook the fact that some people know more about what they are talking about than others.

A reading of my first offering would pretty clearly show that I meant no harm but only help, some extra illumination. OP seemed ok at that point. Then motives got questioned and the train ran South. I'm sorry that happened and I'll leave it all at that.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Lisa, to be fair, I never insisted on anything. I only offered a counter-opinion to information I felt was not complete. I would have dropped it at that had the OP not distinctly stated that it didn't matter because every single opinion was equally valid. I happen to disagree with that. And to have an opinion, whether strong or not, does not denigrate another opinion - it is not a zero-sum game, it just doesn't overlook the fact that some people know more about what they are talking about than others.

A reading of my first offering would pretty clearly show that I meant no harm but only help, some extra illumination. OP seemed ok at that point. Then motives got questioned and the train ran South. I'm sorry that happened and I'll leave it all at that.
    Thank you for your intentions of help, but going forward the best help you can give is to give experiences that will help me choose between the Pilot music nib and the Sailor music nib. Please, no other brand or type of pen.
    Last edited by Medieval; May 21st, 2018 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Platinum music nib in a pen format that most people don't expect to see a music nib in:

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

7. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (May 21st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

I do have a Sailor Music nib, on a MINI Sapporo. It is a paintbrush. I can't access it now to see whether it's 14k or other, but apart from a couple of fude, this is the fattest, wettest nib I own.

I am a southpaw overwriter, too, so pens tend to write finer and dryer for me.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Medieval (May 21st, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Also we’re not talking about expert fountain pen repair, we’re talking about nib preferences.... So why bring up those who have repaired thousands of pens? I felt that the OP was being ignored and others (myself included) demeaned, and I said something. People don’t need a PhD in fountain pens to participate.

Grow up.
    And no one has a right to deterimine what grown up behavior is, no matter how old they are. Bugger off!
    Last edited by Gobblecup; May 21st, 2018 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

Grow up.
    And no one has a right to deterimine what grown up behavior is, no matter how old they are. Bugger off!
    See we can all make absolute starements about our opinions on rights. But that’s right, your opinion counts for everything around here! I should have taken my shoes off and bowed before my retort.

Someone earlier suggested we should post with a mind to respect and civility, in what antiquated format of civil standards do people demean and show condescending atttitue towards their peers? Unless of course they don’t view others as peers but as unequal and lesser members of a group...
    Last edited by Gobblecup; May 21st, 2018 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medieval View Post
    Hi wingwiper
    Are you referring to vintage Platinum nibs being offering more line variation?
    John Mottishaw is not an option for me as sending it there and back is not worth the cost, the effort, or the result. I consider the better option to be to choose the right pen.
    I also don't think I will be considering vintage because I wish to keep things simple.

In case I have mistakenly led people up the garden path, I'm sorry, but I must clarify that line variation is not the most important feature otherwise I would buy a 1.5 or 1.9 Twsbi nib. Line variation is important, but only enough so that it can be distinguished from a standard round broad nib and enough to add some distinct panache to my writing.

I really don't want too much line variation and this is also why I've specifically chosen music nibs because they provide a maximum line width of approximately 1.1mm. Any more and it's just too much for me.

I'm liking the sound of the Pilot more than either the Sailor or Platinum because it has some softness, and that is the feature which will add more flair to my writing more than brute line variation.
    Despite glowing reports from some people for the Platinum, it's not enough to counteract the high price and lack of softness as well as the large number of reports of being just ordinary.

The Sailor's 2 tines has practical advantages over the Pilot and Platinum in ease of use, so I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. It's also a consideration for why it's up against the Pilot while the Platinum is not being considered.
    I would buy a Platinum Music Nib over the Pilot......, but that is me. My Pilot Music is nice, but a little on the fat side- however it does put down a wetter line.

Vintage Platinum I am speaking of is only ‘80’s-‘90’s so not so vintage

Of course my vintage Waterman, Warranted,Sheaffer, etc are all in league of their own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you for your intentions of help, but going forward the best help you can give is to give experiences that will help me choose between the Pilot music nib and the Sailor music nib. Please, no other brand or type of pen.
    Please accept my direct apology for throwing the thread off-course and giving undesired input, no matter my intent. Your thread, your call, my fault for not keeping to that. Good luck on the nibs!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Please accept my direct apology for throwing the thread off-course and giving undesired input, no matter my intent. Your thread, your call, my fault for not keeping to that. Good luck on the nibs!
    Apology accepted, and thank you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    Hi wingwiper
    Are you referring to vintage Platinum nibs being offering more line variation?
    John Mottishaw is not an option for me as sending it there and back is not worth the cost, the effort, or the result. I consider the better option to be to choose the right pen.
    I also don't think I will be considering vintage because I wish to keep things simple.

In case I have mistakenly led people up the garden path, I'm sorry, but I must clarify that line variation is not the most important feature otherwise I would buy a 1.5 or 1.9 Twsbi nib. Line variation is important, but only enough so that it can be distinguished from a standard round broad nib and enough to add some distinct panache to my writing.

I really don't want too much line variation and this is also why I've specifically chosen music nibs because they provide a maximum line width of approximately 1.1mm. Any more and it's just too much for me.

I'm liking the sound of the Pilot more than either the Sailor or Platinum because it has some softness, and that is the feature which will add more flair to my writing more than brute line variation.
    Despite glowing reports from some people for the Platinum, it's not enough to counteract the high price and lack of softness as well as the large number of reports of being just ordinary.

The Sailor's 2 tines has practical advantages over the Pilot and Platinum in ease of use, so I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. It's also a consideration for why it's up against the Pilot while the Platinum is not being considered.
    I would buy a Platinum Music Nib over the Pilot......, but that is me. My Pilot Music is nice, but a little on the fat side- however it does put down a wetter line.

Vintage Platinum I am speaking of is only ‘80’s-‘90’s so not so vintage

Of course my vintage Waterman, Warranted,Sheaffer, etc are all in league of their own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. As long as the line that the Pilot puts down is not too wet that it makes it appear almost like a broad, then I would be happy with that.

Thanks

I recently got a a Sailor with a Music nib. It is very disappointing as it is just a BB nib and I find it very wet and I never use it. I am planing to grind it to a medium cursive Italic and until then it is just laying in a drawer.
    I believe the platinum is the best Music nib and then the pilot . But the pilot nib has some skipping issues than the platinum. It was shown in several reviews done by some good expert people who has given good examples.
    Even though I had seen those reviews and I have five Sailor pens , I opted for a chance to try the sailor as the pen was very cheap with the music nib. So it is waiting for nib grind.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Medieval (May 25th, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks Cyril. Sorry to hear of your disappointing experience though. The jury is still out but it's looking like I will opt for the Pilot.

Be great to hear of other people's experiences of the Pilot and the Sailor.

Thanks

Medieval, FWIW: just be wary of confirmation bias, ok?

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Medieval, FWIW: just be wary of confirmation bias, ok?
    I'll bear that in mind.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Medieval For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 25th, 2018)

Thanks

Thank you to all who set out to help in this thread. After digesting the opinions together with reviews from other sources i decided to go with the Pilot.

Thanks again.

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Thank you to all who set out to help in this thread. After digesting the opinions together with reviews from other sources i decided to go with the Pilot.

Thanks again.
    Congrats. Pilot makes superb pens.
    "Love is the final fight."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

Medieval (May 31st, 2018)