View Poll Results: Music nibs - Pilot or Sailor?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sailor

2 40.00%
  • Pilot

3 60.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music nibs - Pilot or Sailor?

Thanks

Default Music nibs - Pilot or Sailor?

Hello dear FPG
    I'm deciding between one of these two. I've read about the Platinum but it's dearer than I'd like and many reviews say that it's lacking line variation and doesn't have the character of the other two.

So far I've read that the Pilot is soft, has 3 tines as opposed to Sailor's 2, and is crisper than the Sailor.
    The Sailor is said to be more forgiving.

Oh I don't know. What do you think is the best?
    I will be using it to write normal cursive writing rather than musical notation.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Music nibs - Pilot or Sailor?

I only know Pilot's music nib so I can't compare to Sailor. I'm happy with the variation it offers but I would not mind more from it.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Medieval (May 19th, 2018)

Thanks

If you get the sailor, go for the 18k. It is much softer and a more enjoyable nib by far. Downside, it’s also a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vespagirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks both of you. I'm probably leaning a bit more towards the Pilot so I'm glad to hear that you're happy with the line variation.
    I've not heard of an 18k Sailor. I've only seen 14k and 21k.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

I can't speak to your economic needs, but the Platinum music nib I use takes a backseat to no nib in terms of line variation or character imparted. I won't go so far as to say that you should try one out, because you seem set on only choosing between the two other brands, but... yeah - maybe you'll be missing out and not even know it.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

dfo (May 20th, 2018), jar (May 19th, 2018), jmccarty3 (May 27th, 2018)

Thanks

You may find this useful:
    Figboot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDwjbyYtRVw) and Inkdependence (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34SdVer1ykc) both compared Pilot, Platinum, Sailor, and Franklin-Christoph music nibs.

EDIT:
    Another video, Pilot vs Sailor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayZW36v6SCU
    Last edited by Ahriman4891; May 18th, 2018 at 07:25 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahriman4891 For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (May 27th, 2018), Medieval (May 19th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I can't speak to your economic needs, but the Platinum music nib I use takes a backseat to no nib in terms of line variation or character imparted. I won't go so far as to say that you should try one out, because you seem set on only choosing between the two other brands, but... yeah - maybe you'll be missing out and not even know it.
    +1

People say very good things about the Platinum music nib in the #3776 Century, and I can't see how it is really going to cost any more than one of the others.
    £155 from cultpens.com (or £175 if you black w/ rhodium trim) - https://www.cultpens.com/s?q=platinum+music

Thanks

Thanks for the links. I'll go through those very soon, but I recall seeing the Inkdependence one before.
    For the Platinum it's just what I've seen from reviews that's all. There was an awful lot of reviewers saying that they experienced little line variation with the Platinum and that it was their least favourite of the three. Although there were also many saying that it was great, the Platinum being twice the price relative to the Sailor and Pilot was enough for me to not consider it any more.

With the Pilot I hadn't read of any experience of there being very little line variation, but there there was a similar incidence of it with the Sailor as there was with the Platinum.

Trying the nibs out is not a possibility for me, regrettably.
    Last edited by Medieval; May 19th, 2018 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Medieval View Post
    Thanks for the links. I'll go through those very soon, but I recall seeing the Inkdependence one before.
    For the Platinum it's just what I've seen from reviews that's all. There was an awful lot of reviewers saying that they experienced little line variation with the Platinum and that it was their least favourite of the three. Although there were also many saying that it was great, the Platinum being twice the price relative to the Sailor and Pilot was enough for me to not consider it any more.

With the Pilot I hadn't read of any experience of there being very little line variation, but there there was a similar incidence of it with the Sailor as there was with the Platinum.

Trying the nibs out is not a possibility for me, regrettably.
    My experience has been that none of the Japanese pen makers really know how to make a music nib. They are all fair but none of them great. Of the Japanese makes I own the closest to a real music nib is one from Nakaya tuned by one of the two folk at Nakaya that tune nibs. It is significantly better than the stock music nibs from Platinum and my stock music nibs from Platinum are nicer than the stock music nibs I have from Pilot or Sailor.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

dfo (May 20th, 2018), Medieval (May 19th, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks jar. There is the 1.1 from Jowo but I found the ink flow to be terrible, so that is why I'm considering the Japanese makers.
    I don't suppose you can expand on your reasons why you find the Platinum nicer than both Pilot and Sailor?
    Last edited by Medieval; May 19th, 2018 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks

Here's my Plat music nib this morning, hosted in a Calico celluloid model. I really don't know what anyone would expect from line variation, unless they simply wanted a wider nib to start with. You can't do better on the horizontal hairlines and the nib writes smooth and wet (as the ink shading indicates). To overlook this nib as a contender is a mistake, but people make mistakes all the time.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

dfo (May 20th, 2018), jmccarty3 (May 27th, 2018), Medieval (May 19th, 2018), VertOlive (May 21st, 2018), Zhivago (May 20th, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks Jon. That looks very nice

Thanks

My Platinum Music Nibs offer far more line variation than the Pilot- I cannot comment on the Sailor Music Nib as I do not own one. The Pilot is more stubbish for sure.

The vintage Platinum Music Nibs are the best offer an italic cursive-crisp with great flex flex!

Price wise not sure which is cheaper in price, however John Mottishaw can definitely fix you up on the kind of line variation you are aiming for?
    Last edited by wingwiper; May 19th, 2018 at 04:59 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi wingwiper
    Are you referring to vintage Platinum nibs being offering more line variation?
    John Mottishaw is not an option for me as sending it there and back is not worth the cost, the effort, or the result. I consider the better option to be to choose the right pen.
    I also don't think I will be considering vintage because I wish to keep things simple.

In case I have mistakenly led people up the garden path, I'm sorry, but I must clarify that line variation is not the most important feature otherwise I would buy a 1.5 or 1.9 Twsbi nib. Line variation is important, but only enough so that it can be distinguished from a standard round broad nib and enough to add some distinct panache to my writing.

I really don't want too much line variation and this is also why I've specifically chosen music nibs because they provide a maximum line width of approximately 1.1mm. Any more and it's just too much for me.

I'm liking the sound of the Pilot more than either the Sailor or Platinum because it has some softness, and that is the feature which will add more flair to my writing more than brute line variation.
    Despite glowing reports from some people for the Platinum, it's not enough to counteract the high price and lack of softness as well as the large number of reports of being just ordinary.

The Sailor's 2 tines has practical advantages over the Pilot and Platinum in ease of use, so I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. It's also a consideration for why it's up against the Pilot while the Platinum is not being considered.
    Last edited by Medieval; May 19th, 2018 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks

What do you mean 2 tines has an advantage over 3? If you have never used any of these nibs, that is an unusual thing to say. While initial setup of a 3-tine nib may require more expertiese, once it works well it... works well. I have nibs wider than the Plat music nib that are only 2 tine and they offer no benefits - they're just wider. The purpose of 2 slits is to aid in good ink flow.

The bottom line is that you'll never know for certain unless you can try all three, which you probably won't. Everything else is words, but if I were you I'd go back and re-read from scratch people's thoughts and judge not by numbers of reviewers but the perceived knowledge and experience of the reviewers themselves. Anyone can type into an input box.

Best of luck.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Hi Jon
    Two tines has an advantage because occasionally not all 3 tines play ball, and this creates inconsistencies in the flow and line width especially in the softer Pilot. I've seen it mentioned in enough reviews to be worth repeating here.

I don't know what the expertise or the knowledge is of every reviewer and such things are too vague to be concerned about, so this is why I would prefer to go by numbers because it's a much better metric. In the same way that if I was an MP and sent out voting cards to my constituency for them to vote, I wouldn't say that some people's votes are worth more than others just because of this or that. If the majority vote for something then it's for a reason, and if I know the reasons then I can then make the best judgment. It's the same with pen reviews.

Thanks for your wishes.
    Last edited by Medieval; May 19th, 2018 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks

Cool Re: Music nibs - Pilot or Sailor?

You know, i must +1 Franklin Christoph; i own both a Masuyama stub and a music nib (and F-C do all sorts of other nibs besides e.g. cursive italic, cursive calligraphy, and their SIG)... obviously the 1.9 music nib has tremendous line variation but it isn't so great for everyday writing, and the stub is other end of the spectrum.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (May 27th, 2018), Medieval (May 20th, 2018)

Thanks

In my experience, which is only with Sailor’s music nib, the 21k has a lot of softness and provides extra line variation from mild flexing and the 14k is stiff as a nail. The 21k music nib is a great writer and value in my opinion, but a 14k music nib from sailor isn’t nearly as impressive.

My sailor music nib is an incredibly expressive nib and quite wet. It was smooth out of the box, and the line variation without flex isn’t extreme it’s visible but not too much so, I think it’s much like you described what you’re looking for in terms of a stub.
    Last edited by Gobblecup; May 20th, 2018 at 02:18 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Gobblecup For This Useful Post:

Medieval (May 20th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

For the past few years, I've been interested in a music nib (either Pilot or Platinum, cos it seems like Sailor is cheating with only two tines. I know! It's a silly perception thing.), so I appreciate threads like this.

I like Pilot nibs, actually, the best. Basing this on my love for the #10 PO and the Falcon SEF (and the SF before that, which I'd bought used and then, in a moment of enthusiasm, gave to a very good friend, who loves it). I also love my Nakaya (read: Platinum) nibs -- and other brands. But that PO is my favorite and it's Pilot and so.... ya know.

But what I think I really want is a subtle stub. I get the merest hint of line variation with the PO nib. I don't know if it's perceptible to anyone else.

Adding to my confusion is the stub option. Or, even the standard B nibs (does it offer a hint of line variation). As Medieval mentions, I, too, desire a more subtle rather than dramatic line variation. I've whittled my options down to Platinum or Pilot, but then... MS, ST (or SU), or B? Don't know. Need to try them.

I know what the answer is. A trip to a Tokyo pen or stationery shop. Hahaha. (Not a practical option, alas.) (Luckily, no urgency.)

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Medieval (May 20th, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks all.
    I've had a look at the F-C but it looks just a little bit too wide for me I'm afraid as I'm wishing to use it for daily writing cursive.

The Sailor 21k sounds temping as the expressiveness without being too obviously wide is what I'm looking for, but perhaps not so wet as to guzzle ink too quickly. There haven't been many experiences with Sailor in this thread so it's very welcome.

I know what you mean ethernautrix about the cheating, but I suppose it was for the reason mentioned in post 16 as that's what I keep on reading. You may prefer the SU nib because it's not as wide as the music nibs but it's sharper.