Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing a nib width

Thanks

Default Re: Choosing a nib width

Well, since this is very subjective, you will need to try them out. Nibs from different brands behave differently so even M nib can result in different writing experience.

Thanks

Somewhere it is written that the maximum width of a line written with an italic pen should be 1/5 the height of a lower case letter. That would be a letter without an ascender or descender. That ties the nib width to writing size.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

For italics, yes. Also, some calligraphy teachers suggest writing larger letters with finer pointed pens because it shows imperfection more clearly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 21st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

As my writing seems to be hardcoded* to fit within college ruled paper and is not all that consistent to begin with, I find that detail gets lost in even a fatter M.

I think the "e rule" is a good idea and I had noticed loops getting lost with larger nibs.

I think my writing looks nicer (or less terrible, rather) when the loops have an actual space in the middle. I might use an M for larger stuff.

Smoothness / feedback isn't a factor for me; all my F and XF nibs are sufficiently smoother or I can make them so. Even the super ultra fine Estie *550 XF posting nib I tried writes nicely, after some tuning and smoothing, with wetter ink.

I have yet to play with an official italic type nib but my intuition is that I would tend toward smaller there too. Like XF tall, F to M wide, whatever that measures.

It seems like ink plays in too. And as mentioned sizes vary between manufacturers. Parker 45 F and Lamy F vs finer Pilot F, for example. Esterbrooks seem to run on the finer side from what I've been seeing (*668, *555, *556, *550, ...). A couple of euro replacement nibs I've tried seemed fatter than expected.

And Esterbrook are great for inexpensively trying several widths.

* I can write a little larger but even on unlined paper I size it about the same as college ruled. If needed I can go smaller but that is where

Thanks

I have different line widths to suit the occasion. I have my finest which is a Platinum 3776 SF which writes much finer than any F I've ever tried and is also a little on the dry side. This is used for lesser quality paper. I also have a much wider Twsbi medium and a few others which I use to write a journal and to do notes and such like. And I'm presently looking for a music nib.
    Last edited by Medieval; May 21st, 2018 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks

For Esterbrooks, maybe this is helpful: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...riting-Samples

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

I use italic nibs only for calligraphy. With the regular pointy nib, I mostly use an M or F Japanese nib, although I'm getting a Sailor 1911 with a B nib that I expect to be using a fair bit as well. My nib choice is based on a number of factors. If I have to write on cheap paper, I generally opt for a fine nib to keep feathering and show-through at a minimum. If I'm using a notebook with ruled paper, the distance between the rules can be a factor. If the paper isn't an issue, then it depends on what I'm writing. If I'm writing nonfiction, especially technical stuff, or doing math, or writing anything that requires mental precision, I generally opt for a fine nib and a darker, conservative color ink. When I'm writing fiction or personal letters or anything quickly, I generally tend toward the broader nibs, and depending on the mood I'm trying to set, I'll choose an ink to match it. If I'm writing something upbeat, I like to use Diamine Havasu turquoise, my go-to upbeat ink. For a more somber mood, a more somber color. I like the smoothness of writing with the broader nibs, and it seems to help get the flow of my thoughts going. And I do tend to write larger with the broader nibs and smaller with the finer.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

In the main, most of what I write with a fountain pen are letters and a journal. All done exclusively on Tomoe River paper. It has become about the feel of the nib on the paper.

With the right inks, my cursive italics and stubs feel like driving butter over a hot skillet. Just so smooth, but adequate control and everything looks sane and legible.

Finer nibs make me write teeny to keep the nib from skating all over in a schizoid scrawl and would probably annoy my reader. The 1.9 BLS in my FC19 gets used for addressing envelopes and for fun in the journal.

If I want to write very small and still control the line, as when I study, I jump out of the FP arena and pull out a Rotring mechanical pencil...
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine