Thread: Another take on diaries and journals, from Lynda Barry

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Another take on diaries and journals, from Lynda Barry

Came across this tonight - while certainly not fp specific, there is an abundance of creative thought going on here and a very motivating catalyst for people who are visually oriented to chronicle their days.

Lynda Barry’s Illustrated Field Guide to Keeping a Visual Diary and Cultivating a Capacity for Creative Observation

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

catbert (May 21st, 2018), Chrissy (July 28th, 2020), Crocker7 (May 22nd, 2018), Cyril (July 11th, 2018), Empty_of_Clouds (May 21st, 2018), fountainpagan (July 9th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (May 21st, 2018), pajaro (May 24th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (May 22nd, 2018), SIR (May 22nd, 2018), suzy01 (May 22nd, 2018), VertOlive (May 21st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Default Re: Another take on diaries and journals, from Lynda Barry

Enjoying this, I'm thinking my journal would turn into a cross between The Oatmeal and H.P. Lovecraft.

Might be worth a shot...
    Last edited by VertOlive; December 9th, 2018 at 09:37 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Dreck (May 25th, 2018), Jon Szanto (May 21st, 2018), Lady Onogaro (May 21st, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (May 22nd, 2018), suzy01 (May 22nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Employing this, I'm thinking my journal would turn into a cross between The Oatmeal and H.P. Lovecraft.

Might be worth a shot...
    Honestly? That sounds fantastic!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (May 22nd, 2018), VertOlive (May 22nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Employing this, I'm thinking my journal would turn into a cross between The Oatmeal and H.P. Lovecraft.

Might be worth a shot...
    You might have a bestseller on your hands.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (May 22nd, 2018), VertOlive (May 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

This is awesome. I tried art journaling and couldn't really get the hang of it. I think it's because my life is very dull and my brain hamsters don't really get on the wheel too often 🤣 I already draw my fellow comuters Teehee. Maybe I should give it another shot

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Loving cartoony stuff, I would have to say, Cute.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Drawing a cartoon to encapsulate the day: it would give you time to plot your revenge.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (May 24th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I am not much for journalling or haven't been. It always ends up with a lot of "maybe", "perhaps", and "I wonder" ... But with dumb stuff in between.

I can see the value of just recording things happening like that. Hmm.

Plus I have a lot of ink samples to try.

What's there to lose?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 24th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Thanks

I'm in my 70's now and I've recently started writing down stories from my early childhood. It started with a little note book that my wife gave me. She started doing book binding a few years ago and it's a lovely little book. Sewn, with a painted cover, and 100% cotton bookmarked paper. It sat around for a couple of years. I just didn't want to spoil another notebook with a couple pages of irrelevant stuff, and then abandon it - as has happened so many times in the past.

Anyway, my wife passed away some months back, and I looked at that little book, and all of a sudden I realized what I wanted to write. I don't know howt the inspiration came, but all of a sudden I knew my voice and how to proceed.

I knew I had to use a fountain pen for this project, so I got my go to, which is a cheap model of Sheaffer. I've used that a lot, on and off over the years, and had two cartridges of black left. Anyway, when I went to find more cartridges, it turns out that what used to be carried by all drug stores and stationers, was no longer available, and they were an ungodly price on Amazon (over $12 for pkg of 6). Apparently they don't make a converter for these pens and the cartridges are proprietary. I've got 5 of these pens because I thought they should last me for the rest of my life. Well, the result it that I've said goodbye to Shaeffer for good - I'll never buy another product of theirs.

So, I went online to find a low end pen that I could identify with in the same way, and which used standard cartridges. That led me to the Kaweco Skyline Sport in the red fox color. I wasn't quite happy with the performance of the Kaweco ink - in their own pen even! Especially on this absorbent and rough paper. So I thought I'd try the mini converter, which I had enough foresight to order with it. I also had a bottle of Noodler's 54th Massachusetts left over from an earlier interest in fountain pens about four years ago. Bingo! I found the winning combination. Now I've got a pen that I can love, and which I'll be able to use for some years, unlike the Sheaffer. Now I won't run out of ink.

I'm over half way through my little book now, and still going strong. For some reason my memories of even when I was three are coming to me again. And like I say, I've found my voice - how I want to say it, and from the right (for me) perspective.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 8th, 2020), Morgaine (July 9th, 2020), tscweaves (July 31st, 2020)

Thanks

@Ole Juul
    Keep the old cartridges and refill them using a ink from a bottle and a syringe.
    If you don't have an old cartridge either buy some vintage ones on ebay or, I am sure a member closer to you will send you a couple.
    Sheaffer carts can be refilled many times and last a long time.

Bottled ink is far cheaper than cartridges for any brand, plus it lets you try different inks: brand and colour!

Thanks

Thankyou @whych. Well, I tend to feel and speak strongly about things, but I'm really much more flexible in real life. so I have a few empty cartridges and will considered refilling. Nice to know Shaeffer carts can be refilled many times. All is not lost.

Actually it looks like those pens might convert to eyedropper. Well see what happens. I'm quite happy to move on to the Kaweco now that I've gotten my head (and heart) around the situation. Since I started reading about pens and discovered the possibility of eyedropper operation, that elegant solution to keeping a pen inked really appeals to me.

Indeed bottled ink is the best. I just used the carts at first because of old habits and convenience and the Kaweco had that configuration, but now that I've committed to using pen and ink going forward, it'll be bottles all the way. And probably eyedropper all the way too.

Thanks

I am into journaling and It is very hard to get into a start. It is becouse most of us have diffecult in filling the book although it is easy thing to get the book.

"Put all your thoughts onto the book in words and see how they will realise into your real ( inreality there is no real world iit is all your imagination) life." --JIM RHONE.

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

I am starting my 2nd 5 year journal. I get them from Levenger and ever page has 5 sections for one page has the same date but the next years. It was interesting to see what we were dong that day last year. Some days I did not write in it, some days I wish I had more space. The last half of 2018 was completely empty due to health problems. I am finally able to get back to doing some things I like. I tink it made me more aware as I reviewed the day.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sharmon202 For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (November 6th, 2020), Jon Szanto (July 30th, 2020), tscweaves (July 31st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts