Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who prefers feedback?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Who prefers feedback?

I have a few pens that feel like I am writing on the surface of water, not paper. No feel of paper beneath the nib. Just ink pouring out as I write.

And I don't like it.

Invariably my handwriting is worse with these pens, too.

Pens that have feedback feel pleasant to me and I think the small drag helps me stay in control of the pen.

This may be another factor in why I like fine and extra fine nibs.

Am I doing it wrong?

Is this penchant for feedback because I am still a ballpoint barbarian trying to become civilized? Or maybe my fine motor skills suck?

Are there others who want or need a little feedback, the feel of nib easily rolling over paper?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

DaveBj (June 4th, 2018), dfo (May 24th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Default Re: Who prefers feedback?

I also dislike the feeling of a slick, polished nib sliding or skating across the paper. I much prefer a degree of feedback (as opposed to scratchiness, which is another thing altogether).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

TropicalPenGal (June 11th, 2018)

Thanks

Ha! Great minds think alike! While you were posting this, I was starting a separate thread. Here's what I said about feedback there...

To be perfectly honest, I'm not really bothered. So long as there's no squeak, snag, drag, chatter, furring, or feathering like I'm writing on a loo roll, the texture of the paper is kind of a moot point. I'm as happy writing on cartridge paper or glassy smooth paper, so long as the ink behaves without skipping or flooding the page. As an analogy, I don't mind walking on flagstones, carpet, tiles, grass, mud, or scree, just so long as I've got the footwear to suit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 22nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

adhoc (June 15th, 2018), pajaro (June 28th, 2018)

Thanks

I prefer feedback. I believe it's how good fountain pens should be. Purely smooth highly polished bloblike nibs I've found to be a standard feature of second class nibs but YMMV

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I definitely prefer Jimmy's kind of feedback!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    I have a few pens that feel like I am writing on the surface of water, not paper. No feel of paper beneath the nib. Just ink pouring out as I write.

And I don't like it.

Invariably my handwriting is worse with these pens, too.

Pens that have feedback feel pleasant to me and I think the small drag helps me stay in control of the pen.

This may be another factor in why I like fine and extra fine nibs.

Am I doing it wrong?

Is this penchant for feedback because I am still a ballpoint barbarian trying to become civilized? Or maybe my fine motor skills suck?

Are there others who want or need a little feedback, the feel of nib easily rolling over paper?
    Completely smooth nibs feel characterless and sloppy to me — I like some tooth or feedback to lend an illusion of control to my undisciplined hand. Not a fan of slick paper either. On the other hand, I dislike 'draggy' inks.

Heresy: I like fine precise ballpoints for markup on copy paper and fat granular ones for crosswords on newsprint. Pleasant feedback in both cases.

Perhaps the formative experience was pencils?

Thanks

I like a little bit of feeling that the paper is there: a little friction to keep my hand where it's supposed to be.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Like nib grade, I find my feedback preference to be partially mood-dependent. If I want to write with flair and abandon, a wet, ultra-smooth nib seems to best enable my hand and mind. If my aim is to create carefully-thought sentences and writing with a more structured flair, then I like some degree of feedback. Those times where I'm in the former writing mood are so few that nearly all the nibs I've owned have some amount of feedback. Like others have said, it will produce better writing, and possibly, better thought transfer.
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; May 24th, 2018 at 09:21 AM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Hawk (June 22nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

I insist on feedback - not a lot, enough to feel what the pen is doing. Those pens with ultra-shiny nibs that feel greased get a little work done on them. It's easy enough to induce feedback.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 23rd, 2018)

Thanks

I agree a touch of feedback helps keep the pen under control. How much depends on my mood and paper I am using.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Driften For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (May 23rd, 2018)

Thanks

When I write in my pocket notebook I want a lot of feedback. I can control the pen and write more legibly when the book is hand held, perhaps in a moving vehicle. Otherwise, smooth is the name of the game. I had to practice my writing skills to make a slick nib work, but the lack of hand cramps made the extra effort worthwhile.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

Bob (May 28th, 2018), fountainpenkid (May 23rd, 2018), Wuddus (May 23rd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I like my nibs as smooth as possible.
    My tool to achieve this is a leather strap with polishing paste on one side, in my experience almost no nib is as smooth as possible in its default state.

I also prefer smooth Clairefontaine paper to write to help the nib to glide as smooth as silk.

The smoothness helps me to write/draw better.

When something does not look as I like it then I know it was my fault, not a unwanted resistance from the pen.

So for me personally resistance does not help to control the pen, I understand that some think it would help to control the writing, but for me I see this as sign of too less skill, which motivates me to practice more.

As said, only a personal opinion, no judgement, for others it might be completely different.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; May 23rd, 2018 at 03:22 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

calamus (June 18th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    When I write in my pocket notebook I want a lot of feedback. I can control the pen and write more legibly when the book is hand held, perhaps in a moving vehicle. Otherwise, smooth is the name of the game. I had to practice my writing skills to make a slick nib work, but the lack of hand cramps made the extra effort worthwhile.
    There's an interesting perspective I hadn't considered - using pen and paper in transit. Thanks for that, it's nice to have that kind of forethought.

Thanks

I think it's important to have that feedback feeling. Not to the point that is is scratchy or dry but enough for me to control the pen how I want. Otherwise I do not have the feeling that I am writing but rather just sprinkling some ink all over the paper.

Thanks

I don't like a lot of feedback, but then again I agree that perfectly water on glass smooth is even more horrible to me.
    I like a tactile feeling from my pens, like I'm involved in what is happening.

If a nib is too smooth it feels completely unatural to me. It just feels... just meh!

I was once given a very special Pendleton butter line nib to write with... when I remarked I didn't like it the owner looked horrified!
    But it's all down to taste, for me if I don't feel like I'm inloved in the art of writing I don't feel happy.

Same as others said, it's not an attack, to each their own, I just like the feeling of the nib on the paper... it separates it from a rollerball in my mind.
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

I like Sailor fines and Pelikan broads. Sometimes, I want to feel the nib on paper. Other times, I want double broad smoothness.

Variety is the spice of life.
    Last edited by dfo; May 29th, 2018 at 04:31 PM.
    "Love is the final fight."

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 23rd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 699 Posts

We're getting into very subjective impressions here. I have to say that, while I've used some nibs that were very smooth, I've never encountered one that made me think "that's too smooth". On the other hand, a slight feeling of roughness (which I'm not sure I can distinguish from "feedback") doesn't bother me either. Very few of my favorite pens feel completely smooth all the time. There's always some feedback, whether you're aware of it or not.

I think, that for me, control issues have less to do with a too smooth nib sliding all over the paper, and more with how I'm feeling at the moment. Tension, fatigue, distractions, or being rushed can all turn my generally passable writing into a bit of a mess. But if I'm relaxed and unhurried, writing with a very smooth nib is a pleasant experience.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

catbert (May 24th, 2018), Wuddus (May 24th, 2018)

Thanks

I almost insist on some level of positive feedback. Not drag, mind you, but that positive feeling of writing with a pencil. Sailor, in my experience, has this perfected.

I can't stand drag in a pen as it makes writing laborious. I'm pretty intolerant of overly smooth nibs as well, though with certain pens it's acceptable (and always more acceptable than drag).

Admittedly, one man's feedback is another man's roughness, but that's why this is such a subjective thing. And also why it's so difficult to describe in words (or rely on the descriptions of others).....you really must use to pen to figure out where on the continuum it lies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kulprit For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 30th, 2018), KKay (June 3rd, 2018), Sammyo (May 29th, 2018), Wuddus (May 29th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    I like my nibs as smooth as possible.
    My tool to achieve this is a leather strap with polishing paste on one side, in my experience almost no nib is as smooth as possible in its default state.

I also prefer smooth Clairefontaine paper to write to help the nib to glide as smooth as silk.

The smoothness helps me to write/draw better.

When something does not look as I like it then I know it was my fault, not a unwanted resistance from the pen.

So for me personally resistance does not help to control the pen, I understand that some think it would help to control the writing, but for me I see this as sign of too less skill, which motivates me to practice more.

As said, only a personal opinion, no judgement, for others it might be completely different.
    That is an interesting idea to use leather and polishing paste, like sharpening a razor. I polish my nibs on my flex shaft with a small felt buffing wheel with Tripoli first and green rouge for the final. I dislike drag. The smoother the better. My awful scrawl does not improve with feedback. The easier it is for me to write or lay down a line the better.