Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ink #18

Thanks

Default Re: Mystery Ink #18

This DAMN camera!!!!

Unfortunately, it keeps "correcting" the purple to blue, and it's proving exceptionally difficult to shift it back again.

IMG_20180611_023356_edit_edit_1067_800.jpg

Pen and brush were used (pen shown). This is the first "artwork" I've done in decades, and the first time ever using ink. A special guest appearance by MI#17 too. I'm pleased with how the rose turned out, but it's a shame the dragon looks like a baboon in a mask, sniffing a candle.

Or should I have said it's a shame the baboon in a mask sniffing a candle, looks like a dragon?

But anyway, back to the ink.... the paper is a 150gsm sketch book, and most of the time it was very well behaved. There were moments however, when suddenly it would feather like crazy, and I'd have to do some creative correction work. However, that might be a paper trait, rather than the ink.

No bleed through, even painting the ink on neat (undiluted) with a brush. There does seem to be some waterproof properties to this ink, as I was unable to "pull" colour with a damp brush, and washing over areas with a diluted ink seemed to repel from the ink already dried on the page.

The colour match in this photo (or as this photo is displayed on my phone) is fairly representative of the colour on the page.

IMG_20180611_023801_1067_800.jpg

The dragon pretending to be a baboon in disguise was the bigger challenge for the camera, but these two pics are as close as I can get to nudging the colour back to what I see on the page.

IMG_20180611_023934_edit_600_800.jpg

IMG_20180611_024111_1067_800.jpg

If I can capture a better picture later, I'll upload that too.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (June 14th, 2018), azkid (June 10th, 2018), calamus (June 11th, 2018), Chrissy (June 12th, 2018), countrydirt (June 14th, 2018), Empty_of_Clouds (June 11th, 2018), KKay (June 10th, 2018), Pterodactylus (June 10th, 2018), Scooby921 (June 11th, 2018), suzy01 (June 11th, 2018)

Thanks

These are great. I'm enjoying following along Wuddus you might like to try snapseed app, you can use the white balance Eyedropper tool on you white page to turn it back to white which will correct your ink colour hopefully.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

calamus (June 11th, 2018), Wuddus (June 11th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suzy01 View Post
    These are great. I'm enjoying following along Wuddus you might like to try snapseed app, you can use the white balance Eyedropper tool on you white page to turn it back to white which will correct your ink colour hopefully.

Thanks Suzy. That app's not available for my phone, unfortunately. I ought to probably try it on the laptop using Gimp, but it's a long time since I used that program, so I'll probably have to relearn the basics with it again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by suzy01 View Post

Thanks Suzy. That app's not available for my phone, unfortunately. I ought to probably try it on the laptop using Gimp, but it's a long time since I used that program, so I'll probably have to relearn the basics with it again.
    Oh dear. Its on Android and iPhone. I couldn't live without it personally

Thanks

Received my first MI on Friday and immediately took it out for a spin. I just happened to have three pens that I'd recently cleaned--Lamy Safari with 1.5mm italic; Nemosine Singularity with a 0.6mm italic; and a Noodler's Nib Creaper that I use just for ink tests--so all three were inked up ( I didn't have anything in a traditional F, M, or B that wasn't already inked with something else). Paper is 80gsm Rhodia.

I couldn't get a decent scan so I went with two photos using two different light sources, hoping one of them would capture things accurately.

There was very little shading with either stub nib, but I was surprised to see shading with the Nib Creaper even when not flexed. Multiple passes were darker than a single pass, but not necessarily any darker than each other.

There was a little show-through on the Rhodia but the only bleeding appeared on heavier scribbles and on the third-pass sample. There was no perceptible feathering.

This ink went down fairly light and dry with the 1.5mm Lamy, but much darker and wetter with the Nib Creaper and 0.6mm Nemosine. Though the humidity isn't pleasant right now in Virginia, it's far less than we'll see before summer's end. With that in mind, I was surprised at how slowly this ink dried. Even after 1-minute there was perceptible smudging when writing with the Nib Creaper, which would not rank amongst my wettest pens. It perhaps even more surprising because the ink didn't "look wet" when I tried the smear/smudge tests.

Dry times aside, this is a perfectly fine, well-behaved ink. Not one that I'd buy, as purple isn't a color I'm particularly fond of, but there's nothing offensive about the way it performs (which is more than I can say for some inks). I'll post more pics as I continue using it.

Thanks again to Scooby921 for allowing me to join in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kulprit For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 11th, 2018), calamus (June 11th, 2018), KKay (June 12th, 2018), Pterodactylus (June 11th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (June 11th, 2018), Scooby921 (June 12th, 2018), Wuddus (June 11th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Some additional observations and a few more scans —

So I did look at what I’d written through a loupe, and was unpleasantly surprised to see that under magnification the edge was not at all smooth, but really quite irregular. The paper did have a little tooth, not much but some, so I thought that with a smoother paper it might look better. So, I used some 80gsm Rhodia with the same pen and with a couple of dip pens, and magnifying the image by scanning at 1200 dpi and converting to 72, the edges looked horrible, even though they didn’t look too bad unmagnified, at least to my 71 and a half year-old eyes corrected with eyeglasses. (I passed my last driving test at age 70 without glasses, so my eyes aren’t too terribly bad, despite my overall decrepitude.) I didn’t want to go to the trouble of cleaning the Platignum pen and nib section and putting in new ink, so this isn’t really a scientific test, but I did draw and scan a flourish at the same magnification with Diamine Havasu Turquoise in a Pilot Prera with a medium nib on the Rhodia, and it came out much smoother.

Here is the word Wow in Mystery Ink #18 on Rhodia paper, highly magnified. Ragged edges (though much smoother than it looked on the other paper) and a fair bit of shading:

Here is a flourish done with a Pilot Prera in Diamine Havasu Turquoise on the same paper at the same magnification. Way smoother:

Here is the same word Wow as earlier, but shown with much less magnification:

This is Mystery Ink #18 on the same Rhodia paper with a dip pen and a Leonardt Round 3 1/2 nib, a slightly rounded italic flex or semi-flex nib. It’s at the same higher magnification as the other magnified images. Very ragged edges, worse than from the Platignum nib, even though the Leonardt is way fun to play with. I found it particularly interesting the way the ink welled around the outer edges of the letters and was so much darker than the center. The tines of the nib did separate significantly when it flexed:

Here is more of the text from the Leonardt nib including the word Rhodia from the previous image, but relatively unmagnified:

Speedball C-4 nib and Mystery Ink #18 on Rhodia, same high magnification:

Same Speedball unmagnified or slightly magnified:
    Last edited by calamus; June 11th, 2018 at 11:36 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 12th, 2018), KKay (June 12th, 2018), Pterodactylus (June 12th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (June 12th, 2018), Scooby921 (June 12th, 2018)

Thanks

One other thing — the ink on the Rhodia, when applied with a dip pen, took ages to dry, a minute or longer, and not only did it look darker than when applied with a fountain pen, it also felt raised once it dried. I could actually feel a bump with my fingertips when I ran them across the page over the lettering.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

KKay (June 12th, 2018)

Thanks

Looks like I'm the only one delinquent on posting my ramblings and thoughts...

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Looks like I'm the only one delinquent on posting my ramblings and thoughts...
    Not at all. I've not written anything else and tried using my phone to take photos, like I thought I would. It's easier when I'm at home, but I will try harder to add some more thoughts.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Here's another little note I wrote in my little Mnemosyne notebook with this purple ink.

2018-06-12 17.42.29.jpg
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 13th, 2018 at 07:03 AM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

KKay (June 17th, 2018), Pterodactylus (June 12th, 2018), Scooby921 (June 13th, 2018), Wuddus (June 12th, 2018)

Thanks

IMG_20180613_001734_edit.jpg

Aside from spot bleedthrough if you let your pen dwell too long, I actually prefer this ink on more absorbent paper. It's a more "solid" colour, stands off the page better, and doesn't present as many issues with dry time. I also think this ink isn't "too purple" for everyday use, though may be a little too "fun" for business use. Not a bad ink to have for disappointingly dry pens that need a little go-go juice.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 12th, 2018), KKay (June 17th, 2018), Pterodactylus (June 12th, 2018), Scooby921 (June 13th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Mystery Ink #18

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post

This is Mystery Ink #18 on the same Rhodia paper with a dip pen and a Leonardt Round 3 1/2 nib, a slightly rounded italic flex or semi-flex nib. It’s at the same higher magnification as the other magnified images. Very ragged edges, worse than from the Platignum nib, even though the Leonardt is way fun to play with. I found it particularly interesting the way the ink welled around the outer edges of the letters and was so much darker than the center. The tines of the nib did separate significantly when it flexed:
    That's a beautiful effect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Just as an experiment I took a screen shot of Wuddus's rose and used Photoshop to set the paper value as the white point. I wasn't sure how true the results would be, plus apparently the image had already been nudged about a bit, but it looks a little like how the ink looks to me, I think. Anyway, as I said, it was just sort of an experiment.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 14th, 2018), KKay (June 17th, 2018), Wuddus (June 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Very close. I think the ink on the page is very slightly darker, but that's because it's a sketch pad and the pages aren't a true white. Where the ink on the page lies between blue and purple seems to shift a bit according to light levels too.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

Has anyone else noticed MI #18 going down red-violet, then drying to periwinkle almost immediately?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

KKay (June 17th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Has anyone else noticed MI #18 going down red-violet, then drying to periwinkle almost immediately?
    Yes, definitely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Yes, definitely.
    Me too.

Thanks

It does seem to change, and periwinkle's not a bad way to describe where it ends up, but I see it mostly tending to start out much darker, almost an indigo, especially when it goes on very wetly on good paper. If there's also a reddish cast to it that disappears, it's pretty slight.

Thanks

Ok, I still need to snap some photos, attempt to color adjust, and post them. If everyone is ready for it I can also reveal the mystery ink.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 15th, 2018)

Thanks

Ready when you are, Scooby