Thread: Balance barrel transparency

Thanks

Default Balance barrel transparency

Just got a new (to me) Balance in ebonized pearl with well-preserved serpentine barrel transparency. I know that plenty of these have lost their transparency over the years. Maybe this is a silly question, but do I run the risk of ambering/weakening the barrel transparency by inking the pen? Are there certain inks I should use to preserve the transparency? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Balance barrel transparency

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkhart View Post
    Just got a new (to me) Balance in ebonized pearl with well-preserved serpentine barrel transparency. I know that plenty of these have lost their transparency over the years. Maybe this is a silly question, but do I run the risk of ambering/weakening the barrel transparency by inking the pen? Are there certain inks I should use to preserve the transparency? Thanks.
    You don't mention the filling system but I'm going to assume that it is a plunger-filler that is causing your concern. From what I know, the ambering of the transparent parts of the celluloid have more to do with light exposure and other elemental interactions, not interior staining from inks. That said, there doesn't seem to be any pressing need to have an excessively stain-oriented ink in there. I'd save vibrant and exotic inks for other pens, maybe even cheap Chinese pens. For this, I'd stay safe with Waterman or Sheaffer inks, blues or blacks will probably be the least problematic.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

[/QUOTE]You don't mention the filling system but I'm going to assume that it is a plunger-filler that is causing your concern. From what I know, the ambering of the transparent parts of the celluloid have more to do with light exposure and other elemental interactions, not interior staining from inks. That said, there doesn't seem to be any pressing need to have an excessively stain-oriented ink in there. I'd save vibrant and exotic inks for other pens, maybe even cheap Chinese pens. For this, I'd stay safe with Waterman or Sheaffer inks, blues or blacks will probably be the least problematic.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's a plunger-filler, forgot to mention that. Thanks for your advice. Now I can rest easy giving this one a test write.

Thanks

It's not completely known how ink factors into celluloid ambering, so I too would stick with safe inks made by pen companies.

--Daniel
    P.S. With Sheaffer, only the plunger fillers have the helical barrel transparency.
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kirchh View Post
    It's not completely known how ink factors into celluloid ambering, so I too would stick with safe inks made by pen companies.

--Daniel
    P.S. With Sheaffer, only the plunger fillers have the helical barrel transparency.
    Thanks, Daniel, I will always bow to your knowledge. I certainly had been given the impression, if nothing else, that the common wisdom was that the ink was not a major factor. That said, always easier to play it safe. Good to know about the helical stuff, too!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Remember the lever fillers have a big ink sac and press bar inside that would make transparency pointless anyway. They do have an ink-view window though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 24th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Remember the lever fillers have a big ink sac and press bar inside that would make transparency pointless anyway. They do have an ink-view window though.
    Well, some do. Mine doesn't. When did it change, or were only certain sizes eligible for the window?
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 24th, 2018 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Well, some do. Mine doesn't. When did it change, or were only certain sizes eligible for the window?
    Don't know the answer to that. Is yours a White Dot (of course caps are about the easiest thing to change)? What is your price code?

Thanks

Mine is a white dot oversize with no code. It bears a slightly humped clip and flat ball making it ca. 1935. Oh, and no ink window.

Thanks

Mine is a white dot oversize with no code. It bears a slightly humped clip and flat ball making it ca. 1935. Oh, and no ink window.
    Interesting. Somewhat limited sample size but so far every OS Balance I've seen or owned had an ink window. So yet another wonderful mystery.

You do know that there was an office on the third floor near the tracks whose sole purpose was thinking up things that would leave us scratching our heads today. Sheaffer called it "Fun & Giggles".

Thanks

Interesting. Somewhat limited sample size but so far every OS Balance I've seen or owned had an ink window. So yet another wonderful mystery.
    I just checked. Out of 3 OS/WD Balances I own, precisely zero of them has an ink window.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

One of my OS Balances:

Thanks

Ink window, one half of the "Visulated" feature set, starts in 1936.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kirchh For This Useful Post:

jar (May 26th, 2018), popcod (June 6th, 2018), stub (May 26th, 2018)

Thanks

What's the other half?

Thanks

What's the other half?
    The insulated nature of the reservoir--in other words, the fact that there's a sac within the barrel providing some insulation from exterior temperature changes (I know, don't all pens with a sac have that? Yes.).

Visible ink supply + insulated reservoir = Visulated. Note that this means it's not strictly correct to refer to these pens having Visulated sections. The pen as a whole is Visulated; the section is just transparent.

--Daniel

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kirchh For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (June 7th, 2018), FredRydr (May 31st, 2018), popcod (June 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Visible ink supply + insulated reservoir = Visulated....
    I learn something new, every day. Thanks, Daniel.