Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to upgrade to a higher quality pen

Thanks

Default Looking to upgrade to a higher quality pen

I'm seeking some advice on getting a new pen.

I already have a Pilot Custom 823 and and a Platinum Century 3776. I'd like to branch out to a European pen, something other than a Japanese pen. I'd want either a pump or piston filler (not cartridge/converter).

I'd like to get a pen of the quality of the Pelikan M600, but I'd like to get a nib that is equivalent in size to a Japanese fine. I would have gotten the Pelikan M600 except that I read somewhere that even the extra fine Pelikan nib is broader than a Japanese fine point.

Any thoughts on a German or other European pen that be equivalent in quality and size of the Pelikan M600 but that would have a point as fine as a Pilot fine?

Thanks

Default Re: Looking to upgrade to a higher quality pen

P.S. I also have a Lamy 2000 with an extra fine nib. I find that with that nib, I need to write with the nib at a slant, half sideways, to get the width of line that I prefer. If I write with the nib centered, straight on, the line is too broad. But I'm happy enough writing with the nib at a slant. The script looks good. Takes a little extra attention and effort to keep the angle just right, but I still enjoy writing with it.

Thanks

buy the EU pen you want from a dealer that does free nib tuning and have it ground down? I am pretty sure you could get a F or XF M600 from nibsmith or nibs.com and ask them to grind it to an Japanese fine. There may be others as well. Also there is Franklin Christoph which is another non-Japan option. You could get a grind from them too. The 03 and Model 20 are the same size as the M600.

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    buy the EU pen you want from a dealer that does free nib tuning and have it ground down? I am pretty sure you could get a F or XF M600 from nibsmith or nibs.com and ask them to grind it to an Japanese fine. There may be others as well. Also there is Franklin Christoph which is another non-Japan option. You could get a grind from them too. The 03 and Model 20 are the same size as the M600.
    +1

Get the pen you want and have it adjusted to your taste by a nibmeister. If you want a Pelikan M600 (taken from your other thread), get that pen. The binde material is wonderful.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carrolljc View Post
    ...except that I read somewhere that....
    Um....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...except that I read somewhere that....
    Um....
    Are you gonna dispute that Pelikan F is much larger than Pilot/Sailor/Platinum F?

In this case the "I read somewhere that" is imo 100% correct. I have several Pelikan F nibs and I they have massive tipping on them. I love them. But I can totally understand that if you have Pilot/Sailor/Platinum F nibs you might be perplexed by the size of Pelikan nibs.

Thanks

Thanks for those suggestions.

Thanks

If you like the size and weight of the Pilot 823, I expect you will like the Pelikan m800 better then the m600. My m800 feels a lot like my 823. The m600 would be a little lighter and shorter. If you don't mine then m600 would be good. The place that costs the least for Pelikan is cultpens.com. They send it to a nibmiester for regrinding from XF to something thinner if you are not happy. Also stick with dryer inks for a finer line with these wet nibs.

Thanks

Oh and if you don't mind a smaller pen you can get an m200/m215/m120 with it's steal nib in XF would be closer to a Japanese F.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Driften View Post
    If you like the size and weight of the Pilot 823, I expect you will like the Pelikan m800 better then the m600. My m800 feels a lot like my 823. The m600 would be a little lighter and shorter. If you don't mine then m600 would be good. The place that costs the least for Pelikan is cultpens.com. They send it to a nibmiester for regrinding from XF to something thinner if you are not happy. Also stick with dryer inks for a finer line with these wet nibs.
    Good to know about cultpens.com. Thanks!

Thanks

Oh and if you don't mind a smaller pen you can get an m200/m215/m120 with it's steal nib in XF would be closer to a Japanese F.
    I have a Pilot Stargazer. Got it to use as a pocket pen, and liked it pretty well, still do, but the more I use it, the smaller it seems and the less happy I am with it in my hand. At the moment, I'm mostly using the Lamy 2000, and it feels about right for size.

I got impatient last night and sprang for a Sailor 19llL Realo fine point. It will be a while (I hope) before I buy another pen now, but I've put the Aurora Optima fine and a Pelikan Soveran high on my wish list. I'm still wavering over the size preference for the Souveran, 600 or 800. The idea of metal works and slightly increased weight inside the 800 appeals to me. I'll bear cultpens.com in mind and specify the nib preference (equivalent to a Japanese fine).

Thanks

I have a Pilot Stargazer. Got it to use as a pocket pen, and liked it pretty well, still do, but the more I use it, the smaller it seems and the less happy I am with it in my hand. At the moment, I'm mostly using the Lamy 2000, and it feels about right for size.

I got impatient last night and sprang for a Sailor 19llL Realo fine point. It will be a while (I hope) before I buy another pen now, but I've put the Aurora Optima fine and a Pelikan Soveran high on my wish list. I'm still wavering over the size preference for the Souveran, 600 or 800. The idea of metal works and slightly increased weight inside the 800 appeals to me. I'll bear cultpens.com in mind and specify the nib preference (equivalent to a Japanese fine).
    I have a Sailor Realo and it's a nice pen I don't use much. The Pelikan m800 and MB 146 feel better to me and have metal piston blocks. The Realo holds more then a Sailor converter but not more then a Sailor cartridge and less then some other piston filling pens.

It is a good pen with a nib you should enjoy. I hope it works well for you for years to come.

Thanks

I already have a Pilot Custom 823 and and a Platinum Century 3776. I'd like to branch out to a European pen, something other than a Japanese pen. I'd want either a pump or piston filler (not cartridge/converter).

I'd like to get a pen of the quality of the Pelikan M600, but I'd like to get a nib that is equivalent in size to a Japanese fine. I would have gotten the Pelikan M600 except that I read somewhere that even the extra fine Pelikan nib is broader than a Japanese fine point.

Any thoughts on a German or other European pen that be equivalent in quality and size of the Pelikan M600 but that would have a point as fine as a Pilot fine?
    The Justus 95 is a nice pen to consider

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAYLORPUPPY View Post

The Justus 95 is a nice pen to consider

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I was just last night looking at the Justus 95. Could you possibly say a little more about what makes this pen an attractive option?

Thanks

I love Pelikan pens but I’m not sure an M600 is really an upgrade to an 823. As others mentioned, the M800 is a closer comparison to the 823.
    And if you’re looking for a Japanese fine you may consider a Pilot 845 or Sailor pen. It’s been a while since I’ve looked at those models/brands so I’m not sure about current prices but they probably have a better chance of giving you the nib experience you’re looking for.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    I love Pelikan pens but I’m not sure an M600 is really an upgrade to an 823. As others mentioned, the M800 is a closer comparison to the 823.
    And if you’re looking for a Japanese fine you may consider a Pilot 845 or Sailor pen. It’s been a while since I’ve looked at those models/brands so I’m not sure about current prices but they probably have a better chance of giving you the nib experience you’re looking for.
    I ordered the Sailor 1911 L the other day. I just got a notice that it's supposed to be delivered today. Really looking forward to it.

Thanks

I would think most people would consider the Pilot Custom 823 to be an upgrade of even the Pelikan M800.

A friend of mine said that she spoke with a nib person at a pen show in Lytham in recent years who remarked that he considers Pelikans, especially modern ones, to be of a lower class of pen because they frequently have nib issues out of the factory. Lower class of what she didn't say.

A Lamy 2000 is a nice piston filler pen, but the extra fine may not be as fine as a Pilot fine.
    Last edited by Medieval; June 3rd, 2018 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Medieval;241964]
    A Lamy 2000 is a nice piston filler pen, but the extra fine may not be as fine as a Pilot fine.
    That is defniitely the case with my Lamy 2000. To get the fineness of line I want, I have to hold the nib a little sideways, slanted, so that the ink uptake hole on the bottom side of the nib hood is facing me, rather than facing straight down. Not quite facing me. Have to get the angle just right. When the angle is right, the quality of the script is for some reason exceptionally sharp, with some variation in line width.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medieval View Post
    I would think most people would consider the Pilot Custom 823 to be an upgrade of even the Pelikan M800.

A friend of mine said that she spoke with a nib person at a pen show in Lytham in recent years who remarked that he considers Pelikans, especially modern ones, to be of a lower class of pen because they frequently have nib issues out of the factory. Lower class of what she didn't say.

823 an upgrade to the m800, certainly not in price in the UK. In truth I can't think of any way the 823 trumps the m800 apart from a more unusual filling system . Personal opinion obviously but price alone sets them far apart.

Thanks

I don't think I know of anyone who would think a Pelikan writes better than a Pilot so the upgrade is in the quality of the nib. There is also a much inconsistency in their stated and actual nib sizes which isn't the same with Pilot. The Pilot Custom 823 is a flag ship pen too.

if the Lamy is not a good choice you may look at a Sheaffer Legacy heritage or Parkar Vac.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Medieval For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (June 4th, 2018)