Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too many choices...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Too many choices...

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    After realizing how fickle I was with ink colors and feeling exasperated with myself for the frequent ink changes, I finally realized that I want my "daily carry" pens (usually four, sometimes five -- maybe six for a day or two, then back down to... four) to write with black ink, except the Pilot Falcon (SEF), which LOVES Noodler's Lexington Gray.

But... but... COLORS!

Hello, Platinum Preppy multi-pack! Now I keep these Platinum Preppies and their similarly-priced colleagues filled with Non-Black Inks. Since I don't count these fpens as, you know, fine writing instruments, I'm not compelled to carry them everywhere with me, so they are not counted and they are not "daily carry."

I don't use most colors for pages and pages of writing, so this solution works perfectly for me. The Preppies have that seal mechanism that keeps the pens from drying out, but I haven't noticed drying out in the Pilot Parallels or Pilot Kakuno.

It's like having my own personal ink-testing station, except certainly not so extensive as the SF Pen Show's incredible set-up.
    That's kind of the way I've been thinking. I remember hearing that Franklin Christoph's model 66 was originally a tester for use at shows, and I can certainly see the advantage of having half a dozen such pens on hand for less-used colours at home. Of course I cannot afford half a dozen 66s, but maybe there's another option?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

When I bought a pack of 7 Platinum Preppies a year ago, it was $16.28 on Amazon. A quick price check shows double that price. Yikes! That can't be right. I didn't search for a lower price, but individual Preppies are between $3 and $4 (USD), so nearly $33 for 7 is not a bargain.

Don't know if you want nicer (aesthetically more pleasing, more expensive) pens for your own ink-"testing" pens. Maybe an array of Lamy Safaris or TWSBI Ecos?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (June 2nd, 2018)

Thanks

I have two inks that I like least of my inks. I bought both of them without first being clear about their properties as reported across several reviews. They both behave exactly as they were designed, and I think are both probably good for their intended purpose. They serve me as cautionary tales.

If I subtract them, I have five inks left. I tend to keep about three colors going at a time.

At the point, I do not feel as though I have too many. At least, I am not overwhelmed or embarrassed by the number of inks I have. Same goes for my pens, so far. I am still cycling through using each of them every few months. (Except for a couple of pens that do not work anymore.)

Thanks

From the start a year ago, I knew would get bored with the hobby if I limited myself to a certain number of pens and inks. So I give myself free reign on inks and pen purchase. Although I do have a price limit on pens.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I might have more pens than inks so do I need to change that!!?

It perhaps makes sense to have a black ink, blue one, green, maybe brown... Then, if you find you do not like the particular shade of blue, you get different one... or perhaps you do like the blue but would like a different blue too because it'll look good for letter writing.. At the moment, I don't really want new inks very close to ones I have. I don't have a bottle of black ink (that is, unless I can find an old bottle of quink, although I do have cartridges). Maybe can look into sheens and sparkles.