Thread: Edison Morgan 2013 Limited Edition Ebonite

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Default Edison Morgan 2013 Limited Edition Ebonite

In March, Brian Gray of Edison Pens announced the 2013 Edison Limited Edition Group Buy. When I found out that this year's pen would be a Morgan (my favorite Edison model), I knew I would be tempted. When the briar swirl ebonite (my favorite ebonite) won the group's vote, I knew I would have to place an order. Ultimately, I gave in to my pen gluttony and ordered both the LEE (limited edition ebonite) and the LEA (limited edition acrylic). I think they make a nice pair, especially since both of them have orange swirls!

L to R: Premiere in briar swirl, Morgan in briar swirl (LEE), clipless Morgan in red/black ebonite, Morgan in neon acrylic (LEA)

Although both pens are wonderful, the briar swirl ebonite is my favorite, and that is the one I will focus on here. It has a gold clip, a pinched section, a threaded cap, and a two-tone steel nib. I chose the new 1.5mm stub nib.

The Morgan is extraordinarily well-balanced in my hand. The pinched section is ergonomic and is comfortable for long writing sessions. Aesthetically, I love the tapered flat ends and the bulge toward the middle. It reminds me of a non-faceted Nakaya Decapod. There is a step between the barrel and the section, which I suppose some people might find uncomfortable, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It is visually noticeable, but I don't feel it while writing. There are no sharp edges.

The two-tone steel nib is stamped with the Edison logo and marked with the nib size (EF, F, M, B, 1.1, or 1.5). The 1.5mm stub nib is untipped; it is wide, very smooth, and has a really nice amount of line variation. The nib units unscrew easily and can be shared between pens. (If you want to put one of the new #6 stub nibs in an Edison bulb filler, though, you will need to have Brian modify the feed in order to make it compatible with that filling system.)

At $195 for the ebonite and $175 for the acrylic, the group buy allowed for significant savings: the Morgan usually costs $250 with a steel nib. These pens are incredibly well-made. They are both polished and shiny, all of the pieces fit together perfectly, there are no tool marks, the LEE/LEA engravings are subtle (too subtle to be picked up by my camera!), and the nibs (1.5mm and medium) wrote reliably and smoothly out of the box. I am very happy that I ordered both the LEE and the LEA! Two thumps up!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (May 10th, 2013), drgoretex (May 9th, 2013), GourmetPens (May 9th, 2013), jde (May 10th, 2013), KrazyIvan (May 9th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Re: Edison Morgan 2013 Limited Edition Ebonite

Great review and pictures. And what a nice ink choice for the pen.

Thanks

Really beautiful pens and love the nib choice!
    Find me at The Pen Addict and on Twitter @dowdyism

Thanks

Was sorely tempted by that Morgan in Briar Swirl. Ah well, can't have 'em all!

ETA: Your photo is great, btw. I know it's not but the red/ebonite Morgan looks "upside down" next to the LE Morgans! Cool differences.
    ...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
    ...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi