Thread: Music Nib

Thanks

Default Music Nib

I'm looking for someone place to buy a music nib in #6 size and not sure where I should look. I've googled it with no luck.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

Default Re: Music Nib

I don't believe the Germans (Bock and Jowo) make music nibs as a standard option (it would have to be a custom), and the German manufacturers are where the "#6" notation comes from (#6 is based on the use of a 6mm feed).

For a 3 tine music nib, you would look to the Japanese. If you want a nib with a very broad vertical stroke and narrow horizontal stroke, you would want a "calligraphy nib" from a maker like Bock, or you could order a #6 BB Jowo nib from Nibs.com and have John Mottishaw grind it. There are other sources for #6 BB nibs and other "nibmeisters" as well.
    Last edited by dneal; June 5th, 2018 at 06:21 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    I don't believe the Germans (Bock and Jowo) make music nibs as a standard option (it would have to be a custom), and the German manufacturers are where the "#6" notation comes from (#6 is based on the use of a 6mm feed).

For a 3 tine music nib, you would look to the Japanese. If you want a nib with a very broad vertical stroke and narrow horizontal stroke, you would want a "calligraphy nib" from a maker like Bock, or you could order a #6 BB Jowo nib from Nibs.com and have John Mottishaw grind it. There are other sources for #6 BB nibs and other "nibmeisters" as well.
    Right.......buy a Pilot or Platinum as their music nibs are I believe close to a #6?

I have some vintage Watermans, Warranted....... that are a #5 or 6 and impossible to find anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks

Franklin Christoph do one, it is a JoWo #6... it is untipped and can be a dry writer, but it has very slightly curved edges so is quite smooth to write with, and can be had in a black or metal finish.

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/sp...-nib-info.html

Do bear in mind, the size # is not a universal standard and can be very manufacturer specific - I managed to fit my F-C music nib into the Bock collar of my Namisu Nova and it was a good fit, but trying the Bock nib in the JoWo collar was too tight to be able to remove after...

Thanks

I think your best bet is the F-C one and they are not that expensive. Much cheeper then buying a pen with a music nib.

What do you plan on putting the nib in? Why are you interested in them? If you are wanting a stub or italic like character, you are better off buying a stub or italic nib. If you plan on writing music with the paper on a music stand, its a great idea to use a music nib. They are designed to handle being more of a 90deg writing angle to the page.

The F-C nib is very wide. The Pilot Music nibs feed can have issue keeping up with ink demand. The Platinum 3776 music nib works well and the feed even has two ink channels, but for me could be more stub like. I don't get as much difference between vertical and horizontal lines as I would like and at some point will have mine reground. The Sailor music nib really works best at high angles and is not so great for normal writing, or so I have read from people's reviews.

Thanks

^^IIRC the Sailor music nib isn't a true 2-slot / 3-tine nib. It's just a wider stub with 1-slot / 2-tines. But I'm with you on the initial statement. If the purpose is just to get line variation in your writing it's likely cheaper and easier to find a #6 1.5mm cursive italic / stub nib than to find a music nib. I think most of the fuss for music nibs comes from the vintage Waterman music nib which gets its line width from being ridiculously flexible. Almost none of the modern music nibs are that flexible and might as well be double or triple broad stubs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

wingwiper (June 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    ^^IIRC the Sailor music nib isn't a true 2-slot / 3-tine nib. It's just a wider stub with 1-slot / 2-tines. But I'm with you on the initial statement. If the purpose is just to get line variation in your writing it's likely cheaper and easier to find a #6 1.5mm cursive italic / stub nib than to find a music nib. I think most of the fuss for music nibs comes from the vintage Waterman music nib which gets its line width from being ridiculously flexible. Almost none of the modern music nibs are that flexible and might as well be double or triple broad stubs.
    Well said.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks

Finally, make sure to replace your helmet every few years. Helmets are designed to protect you from potential head injuries, but over time, the material can become worn down, decreasing the amount of protection it provides. https://fithelmet.com/best-full-face-mtb-helmet/