Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning BCHR pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Default Re: Cleaning BCHR pens

Quote Originally Posted by joepike16 View Post
    "Black Chased Hard Rubber"
    By the way, and I hope I don't get pilloried too severely by anyone for going completely off topic, but Joe Pike is the man. I've often thought that if I were ever in a dangerous situation and could pick any character from any book or movie, or real life for that matter, to watch my six, I'd pick Joe Pike in a heartbeat.

I read an interview with Robert Crais in which he said that he'd originally introduced Joe Pike as a minor character, and had intended to kill him off early on, but he turned out to be remarkably difficult to kill!
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I need to clean the nib and feed of my latest purchase, a BCHR eye dropper. From what I have read so far, I think it’s ok to run some water over the nib and feed as long as the section says dry, is this correct? I normally flush my feeds with 1:9 ammonia to water but am unsure if it’s safe to do to such an old pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Prettypenguin View Post
    Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I need to clean the nib and feed of my latest purchase, a BCHR eye dropper. From what I have read so far, I think it’s ok to run some water over the nib and feed as long as the section says dry, is this correct? I normally flush my feeds with 1:9 ammonia to water but am unsure if it’s safe to do to such an old pen.
    Your ides of flushing with water is a good one. The ebonite (HR, hard rubber) won't go bad from a very brief bit of water getting on it, you just don't want to soak it, especially the body of the pen. Try flushing under running water, and maybe just swishing the nib/feed in a glass of water a few times. If it is finally running somewhat clear you can dry it off and possibly wipe the nib (if needed). If you keep getting more and more diluted ink, you can stand the pen in water that just goes up to the edge of the section, leave it for an hour or two, and flush/swish again.

If you don't start getting things cleared out, write back!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Prettypenguin (November 20th, 2022)

Thanks

I followed your instructions and now it’s drying overnight on a towel. The cap and barrel never left the drawer. I have too many pens inked up at the moment, but it’s on the list for the next round. It’s best to use safe ink like Diamine, Parker, and Waterman on these older pens, right?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Prettypenguin View Post
    I followed your instructions and now it’s drying overnight on a towel. The cap and barrel never left the drawer. I have too many pens inked up at the moment, but it’s on the list for the next round. It’s best to use safe ink like Diamine, Parker, and Waterman on these older pens, right?
    Yes, I commonly use one of the Waterman blues, but Parker and Sheaffer are fine. Most of Diamine's inks, as well. I looked back at the 'new pen acquisition' thread because I remembered seeing the pen. Since it is an ED, you could get away with almost any basic fp ink these days. That's a handsome little pen. I don't ED modern pens much, but I've got a handful of vintage like that which I enjoy using. I just don't always write enough to use it up!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Prettypenguin (November 21st, 2022)

Thanks

I’ve been writing more since the weather turned, so I think I will ink it once all my other pens are empty and see how long it takes to get through the barrel. This is my first eye dropper, so I don’t know if I write enough to keep it in steady rotation. I hope I don’t over fill it.