Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on brown and grey ink

Thanks

Default Re: Advice on brown and grey ink

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    FYI, I updated my post above with pics of Diamine Macassar on that made in Egypt notebook I mentioned. Here are some other pen/ink tests on the same.

If this were a bit heavier paper it would probably have zero show through.

Prices for Clairefontaine notebooks aren't too bad but pretty sure there are less expensive options too.
    Thanks, this is very helpful.

Thanks

Diamine Saddle brown and Diamine Damson[partly purple] have a good balance between clarity and being only moderately saturated.

Thanks

This is easier to solve with paper than ink I think. Americans like to point out "black n' red" notebooks as super cheap, very fountain pen friendly paper. I don't know where those are available in the USA, but supposedly they're easily available from a number of places. Rhodia/Clairefontaine over here is like 2,5 EUR, which is really quite cheap, so I just use that. You could perhaps bulk buy that paper, without VAT you bring the price down to 2 EUR per notebook of really quality paper.

If you really want to solve this with ink, I'd start with Pelikan 4001 and Waterman inks, like others have suggested. There's a guy on ebay (scotland stationery shop or something like that) that has ink samples for real cheap with super low shipping.

Ink samples on the cheap: https://www.ebay.com/usr/stationerys...53.m2749.l2754

Thanks

You might like to try Montblanc's Oyster Grey - it is a fairly light grey, tends towards being drier than wetter, and is also reasonably quick drying.

Try KWZ inks too, they tend to be drier and quick drying too.

Thanks

Sailor Doyou is an almost-black brown that may behave well.

Thanks

I have a brown-gray ink from Papier Plume called Pecan. With a EF nib it did good on cheap paper. I've never tried Toffee Brown, but I do have GvFC Hazelnut brown, and I find it to be very well behaved. It is highly legible too, more so than Pecan. The inks I mentioned are easy to clean. Noodler's-Walnut is another nice brown, if you want something cheaper with water resistance. Oh, I just thought about Dromgoole's-Chisholm Trail. I have had that on my wish list for quite some time. I adore that ink. It is made by Noodler's for Dromgoole's. I do know that Vanness sells it. I got a large sample of it after it came out as the new ink a year or two ago. (I forget which now) As far as gray, I like Noodler's-Lexington Gray. It is bulletproof so it will require more frequent cleaning. Never let permanent inks dry in your pen, or you will be sorry. Another gray that I love comes from Papier Plume-Oyster Grey. I found it to be well behaved, and lovely. I cannot remember about bleed through though. All I had was a small sample of it. I plan to get that one in the future. I have to finish Iroshizuku-Fuyu syogun first. I like that ink, but it is a bit light, especially with a fine nib. So I can't recommend that one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Hi,

I know you are looking for inks that work well on cheap paper, but since someone else mentioned them:

Both Office Depot and Amazon carry Black 'n Red. Here's the link for Amazon's Black 'n Red choices: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...n+red+notebook

Miquelrius is supposed to be good, too. They can sometimes be found at Barnes & Noble, but they are at Amazon, too: https://www.amazon.com/Miquelrius-11...friendly+paper
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 15th, 2018)