Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What is your latest MB acquisition ?

Thanks

Default Re: What is your latest MB acquisition ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrenvy For This Useful Post:

Cyril (February 12th, 2021), da vinci (November 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Ink...., and glowing logo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zdenek For This Useful Post:

AndyLogan (November 19th, 2020), Cyril (February 26th, 2021), da vinci (November 18th, 2020)

Thanks

I love this ink and it is on my list!!

Thanks

The 149 Calligraphy came in May after 11 months of waiting. Why this pen? I don't know. I have vintage flex nibs that flex a more or flex easier or have better snapback/responsiveness. All the same, i enjoy this pen quite a bit. Maybe it's the 149 form factor, or maybe it's because it's smoother than most flex nib pens.

I had been looking for a 147 to take with me on trips for a few years. I even bought the case when i saw one on sale at a bargain price. I could never find a 147 with a nib that interested me. This one does: it has what looks to be a cursive italic grind, but is nonetheless fairly smooth. I had to wait for a cartridges to arrive in the mail before i could use it because it turns out that i had cartridges of every sort except the standard international ones . Had it arrived a little later, i could have just gone to Fountain Pen Hospital, but they were still closed to walk-ins at the time.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (June 22nd, 2021), fountainpenkid (July 12th, 2021)

Thanks

@guyy
    I haven't tried this nib yet. But I am sure it is a promising nib. ( when it was introduced I went to the Montblanc main store in London. They did not have it and they were expecting it receive it. That was last year...)
    I also avoid getting any more modern pens but But.... one day.. well, One day I am going to add a "vintage Montblanc with a flex nib" It is far more flex and smoothness I am expecting from a Montblanc.
    Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS WITH THIS BEAUTY and enjoy the new experience of Montblanc modern. Flex !!!!
    Last edited by Cyril; June 22nd, 2021 at 06:17 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (June 22nd, 2021), guyy (June 21st, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    @guyy
    I haven't try this nib yet. But I am sure it is a promising nib.
    I also avoid getting any more modern pens but But.... one day.. well, One day I am going to add a "vintage Montblanc with a flex nib" It is far more flex and smoothness I am expecting from a Montblanc.
    Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS WITH IS THIS BEAUTY and enjoy the new experience of Montblanc modern. Flex !!!!
    Thanks Cyril. I am definitely enjoying it.

Like you, i usually prefer vintage pens because the nibs are so much more interesting. I even have a few vintage flexy MBs also, but as you can see it didn’t stop me from getting the 149 Calligraphy.

Thanks

@ guyy!!
    GAS is every where.
    Some times it is good but it never works on AMASSING MONEY GAS It completely going the opposite the way to drain money.
    So that is why some people are using the term... I am investing on..pens, jewels instruments etc.

I am glad You have invested on you MB Flex pen. By the way I have seen the most beautiful work using that pen.
    It is really worth looking at those work done by this Pen ( Honestly the Nib )

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...cises_1_fp.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...prevail_fp.jpg

Very inspiring nib and it will be a deadly "weapon of mass- achvement "

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

I have been very fortunate to acquire two MB 146s - both are from the early 1990s. On is an OM and the other just an M. What lovely writers they are.

I must make a confession that I have become very spoiled by Montblancs - so much so that I have no interest in acquiring other pens.

While I am generally not a person who acquires vintage pens, I am considering a vintage MB with a more flex nib. But for this purchase I will need to find someone who knows these pens and can help me make the right choice. Not sure who that is yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    I have been very fortunate to acquire two MB 146s - both are from the early 1990s. On is an OM and the other just an M. What lovely writers they are.

I must make a confession that I have become very spoiled by Montblancs - so much so that I have no interest in acquiring other pens.

While I am generally not a person who acquires vintage pens, I am considering a vintage MB with a more flex nib. But for this purchase I will need to find someone who knows these pens and can help me make the right choice. Not sure who that is yet.

I’m sure there are plenty of folks here who could advise you.

My advice would be to avoid considering vintage MB nibs as “flex” nibs. They flex but they weren’t designed with copperplate calligraphy in mind. If you want to write copperplate get an old Waterman or something. However, if you think you’d like a softer feel, and maybe a little added flourish from time to time, a vintage MB is worth a try.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (July 12th, 2021)

Thanks

I would also like to add that I've been enjoying my 149 calligraphy nib tremendously. It's an amazing nib and I would recommend it to everyone that has the patience to learn writing with it and has the means to overcome the barrier of entry, which is the price.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post

My advice would be to avoid considering vintage MB nibs as “flex” nibs. They flex but they weren’t designed with copperplate calligraphy in mind. If you want to write copperplate get an old Waterman or something. However, if you think you’d like a softer feel, and maybe a little added flourish from time to time, a vintage MB is worth a try.
    I use the term FLEX on fountain pens to understand the state of character of a nib, and how it writes.
    I never try on F/Pens " calligraphy flexing pressure' to stress them. learning calligraphy is mostly leaning how to have a light hand in drawing your letters in variation of Pressure.
    Dip pen nibs also has lot of line variation and some has none.
    Although there are modern pens hold post nibs which is marked Soft/flex they are only springy and has limited line veriations.
    They have different characteristic quality on writing on different quality PEN/INK/paper combination.
    Most of the vintage pens have this advantage of achieving easy line variation . All the old pens are having these soft ( some call it flex ) characteristic effect .
    Palikan and Mont Blanc family also has those Soft Nibs and people used call then Flex pens. They are actually not meant to use as Calligraphy dip pens.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Thank you for your great advice.

Perhaps I mis-stated. I am interested in a MB vintage simply because I have heard they have a softer nib with a bit more spring for some line variation. I did not mean to allude that I was interested in a "flex" for calligraphy. I do not have the time, at this point in time, to learn proper calligraphy, so a "flex" nib would be a bit of a waste for me.

Interestingly, one of my MB 146's (circa early 1990s) has a softer nib than does my other MB 146 (circa late 1990's).

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I use the term FLEX on fountain pens to understand the state of character of a nib, and how it writes.
    I never try on F/Pens " calligraphy flexing pressure' to stress them. learning calligraphy is mostly leaning how to have a light hand in drawing your letters in variation of Pressure.
    Although there are modern pens hold post nibs which is marked Soft/flex they are only springy and has limited line veriations.
    They have different characteristic quality on writing on different quality PEN/INK/paper combination.
    Most of the vintage pens have this advantage of achieving easy line variation . All the old pens are having these soft ( some call it flex ) characteristic effect .
    Palikan and Mont Blanc family also has those Soft Nibs and people used call then Flex pens. They are actually not meant to use as Calligraphy dip pens.
    Are you trying to redefine the terms “flexible” and “flex” in the context of fountain pens and nibs?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Perhaps I mis-stated. I am interested in a MB vintage simply because I have heard they have a softer nib with a bit more spring for some line variation. I did not mean to allude that I was interested in a "flex" for calligraphy. I do not have the time, at this point in time, to learn proper calligraphy, so a "flex" nib would be a bit of a waste for me.
    Oh, I don't think you misstated anything. The nibs on a fountain pen, over many decades of manufacture, exhibit a wide range of tactile responses and it is a continuum, not an exact and precise condition. Nibs range from exceedingly stiff tines that don't move apart at all (often referred to as nails) all the way to the vaunted wet noodles of the great days of pens in the earlier part of last century. The important point is that there are nibs all along the spectrum between those two characteristics.

One example, similar to your search: I enjoy Pelikan nibs of the 30s-50s that have a soft, flexible feel to them; not all of the nibs they made are like this. You can see charts from the time that show all the different varieties, but I am just talking about finding an old nib that does This Thing: it can write a very standard, consistent line of ink if I write without pressure, but if I lean into the nib just a bit, I can add width and flow for emphasis in my writing. I am more than well-versed enough to know that I am not over-stressing the nib and the pressure is minimal, but the nib responds. It is flexible to a slight degree, and it makes the nib a very expressive thing to use without ever thinking that I could pull off Spencerian flourishes.

There ARE many vintage nibs that exhibit this flexibility and are worth seeking out. I don't ever feel the need to label particular nibs one way or another or be ridiculously fussy with terminology. I also am aware that MB nibs of various earlier years exhibit similar characteristics, and I hope you continue to seek them out!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post

Are you trying to redefine the terms “flexible” and “flex” in the context of fountain pens and nibs?
    I was not redefine the term here Fred, But I was just getting to explain how it seems to me as I understand it. I think in the century old pen industry there had been so many terms or technical aspects to explain this flexibility of the pen.
    In true writing whether it is in fountain pens or dip pens the flexibility was to distingush producing variable lines. In the history of century writing way before the fountain pens came to exist, the need of the Mono line pens had a demand in a certain period.
    It seems during that period Spencerian was widely used as writing form in penmanship and skills.
    Then Palmer method of BUSINESS WRITING WAS INTRODUCED and was to write faster without line variations. There had been many monoline pens marked as Manifold Hard nibs. I think later on most of the fountain pens were produced by based on these two characteristic of writing. I think some of us are caught into mis concept of Flex pen and expect a nib to be a brush pen and get it destroy easily. There are so many Japanese pens named after Flex. This is what I think of a flexpen as a soft pen. Between a Hard nailed/needle pen and gushy broad liner as flexy or nick named as wet-noodle.
    If I was wrong please correct me. I know you I am here to learn and not to teach any thing to any body.
    I was trying to say Flex = FLEXIBILITY OF WRITING WITH MONO LINES TO variable lines with pressure was introduced into pen nibs. Commercially in the pen industry for many more century historic time this term "Flex' was used in many ways.

Thanks

I have added one MB Rollerball and 3 MB Ballpoints.
    Is it crazy?? No it is not... ( That's my subconscious talking Don't listen to him!!!!!)
    I like pencils and ball points as well I have few Cross pens and they are smooth writers. So I like MontBlanc too.

Thanks

This one!

Montblanc 149 with Ariel Kullock Texas overlay.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 26th, 2021), Cyril (September 7th, 2021), da vinci (August 28th, 2021)

Thanks

a pack of Pacific blue Fineliner refills.

Thanks

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Linger For This Useful Post:

Cyril (October 4th, 2021)

Thanks

As guyy said, the vintage MB nibs aren't really flex nibs. Several years ago I bought a 146 with a soft nib. Not much line variation. Nothing like that in the letter, which the author said he wrote with a 1930's Weidlich.

The 149 Calligraphy got a nice review from Gourmet Pens, so I'll join the lists of those waiting for it, and for the Pilot 912 with its notched FA nib.
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; August 26th, 2021 at 12:39 PM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens