Thread: Edison Glenmont bulb filler usage suggestions please

Thanks

Default Edison Glenmont bulb filler usage suggestions please

I've had a Glenmont bulb filler for a while now but have not inked it too frequently because it always burps when it gets close to empty. (I don't have an exact idea about the amount of ink when a burb occurs, but I think it happens when it is less than 25% full.) I've searched through some threads here and elsewhere and most people seem to have no issues writing with ED'd Edisons until they are dry. Others don't let their pens get below 50%. Some converted back to C/C because of burping. I've seen Brian's responses elsewhere basically saying that heat is not an issue and does not in and of itself cause burping but rather the volume of gas present in an empty reservoir. I accept this answer but it doesn't explain how to get the pen to not burp.

Since my pen is a Glenmont and it is a bulb filler, converting to C/C is not an option for me. I love the look and craftsmanship of the pen - it was custom and was a huge splurge for me.

Assuming that this "problem" would apply to any of the Edison alternate filling systems that use a breather tube, I'd like to hear any tips people may have about reducing or eliminating burps. Does orientation of the pen (nib up or down) as you open it matter? I don't change inks too often, so I could always just refill when it gets to 1/2 empty, but I'd like to have the ability to write it dry without experiencing burps. I usually store my inked pens nib-up assuming this would help in general with leaks.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Regards,
    Rob

Thanks

Default Re: Edison Glenmont bulb filler usage suggestions please

Your problem seems similar to the one I have had with old Sheaffer pens with the smooth feed (the one without fins underneath) and Parker's 21 Mk I and Mk II. I can write them dry if I store them nib-up overnight and then, in the morning, put them in a shirt pocket to warm up. This heats the cold air in the reservoir and prevents expanding gas from pushing enough ink out to overwhelm the limited capacity of the feed. If you turn the pen nib-down before it warms up, it will eventually drip while you write.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (June 25th, 2018), rbultman (June 19th, 2018)