Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sailor 21K Broad Nib Question

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

Default Re: Sailor 21K Broad Nib Question

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Looks like somebody ground a foot on it.
    I'm not familiar with that term. What is a foot on a nib?
    See pages 6 and 7 of Richard Binder’s “Nib Smoothing Workshop Notes”.

http://www.richardspens.com/pdf/workshop_notes.pdf

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

calamus (July 14th, 2018)

Thanks

I love the Sailor nib. It is my favorite nib, that is made now. I have tried an Aurora, and loved it too. I don't own an Aurora though. (I would if I could) I would never be able to use a zoom nib properly, since I write at a very low angle to begin with. I wouldn't like changing the angle up to get a thin line. You say you have a broad though. If it was presented as new, and someone had it and messed it up by smoothing it themselves, that is a problem. I would send it to a nib meister, and get their opinion of it. At least take macro shots of the nib and maybe they could tell you if it is fixable before you even send it to them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KKay For This Useful Post:

calamus (July 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    I love the Sailor nib. It is my favorite nib, that is made now. I have tried an Aurora, and loved it too. I don't own an Aurora though. (I would if I could) I would never be able to use a zoom nib properly, since I write at a very low angle to begin with. I wouldn't like changing the angle up to get a thin line. You say you have a broad though. If it was presented as new, and someone had it and messed it up by smoothing it themselves, that is a problem. I would send it to a nib meister, and get their opinion of it. At least take macro shots of the nib and maybe they could tell you if it is fixable before you even send it to them.
    Thank you. Not long after I began this thread, I accidentally knocked the pen onto the floor, and it landed nose-first, bending the nib. I sent it to Michael Masayuma for repair and tuning, and he fixed it and sent it back. It is at this very moment en route, and according to the tracking information, should be showing up at my door tomorrow! It is remarkable how I've missed the pen; even when the nib wasn't at 100%, it was still loads of fun, and the whole experience of the 1911 just luxurious as all get out. I will be posting writing samples and my report of how it's behaving now that it's been worked on as soon as possible. Michael Masuyama is reputed to be a nib wizard, and I can't wait to se how the pen writes. I actually think I may have subconsciously knocked the pen onto the floor accidentally on purpose, to justify sending it to him!
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Fascinating material; thank you for referring me to it. But it doesn't seem to mention the term foot. Hmm.

Thanks

I love the colors of the Pro Gear slim, but the feel of the 1911 standard wins out every time. At first I thought the standard was small, but after I wrote with it a while, it seems perfect. I think it is more balanced in my hand. (than a Pro Gear slim) The nib let me know that I love feedback in a nib. The nib though is the main attraction for me. I've never seen nor held the large version of either pen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KKay For This Useful Post:

calamus (July 16th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

Fascinating material; thank you for referring me to it. But it doesn't seem to mention the term foot. Hmm.
    I’m not sure what your trying to imply. I referenced it because he does such a good job describing and illustrating it, not because he uses the specific term.

Thanks

I’m not sure what your trying to imply. I referenced it because he does such a good job describing and illustrating it, not because he uses the specific term.
    Not trying to imply anything. He does an excellent job of describing and illustrating three different nib problems; I just don't know which of them is what you call a "foot." The one I thought was the likeliest candidate for the term was the third one, the one with the flat area on the underside of the nib tip, but I don't recall seeing anything like that in the sketch I posted, or in the nib itself, for that matter. The underside of the tip was rounded, but tailed off low.

So, I googled the term, and found this article by John Mottishaw that describes the foot and discusses the various kinds of foots (feet?):
    https://www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-wr...-scratchy-nibs So yes it was the third example, but no, I don't think my nib had that particular problem, or at least not as extreme as what Richard Binder was describing. It's too bad I don't have a macro lens; a good photo would have been much more illustrative than my sketch.
    Last edited by calamus; July 15th, 2018 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

dfo (July 16th, 2018), KKay (July 17th, 2018)

Thanks

Wow, that looks great. I am so happy for you. Sailor's nibs are outstanding to me. Oh, and I like that ink you are using. What is it?

Thanks

Wow, that looks great. I am so happy for you. Sailor's nibs are outstanding to me. Oh, and I like that ink you are using. What is it?
    Thanks. It's Diamine Oxford Blue, but the photo isn't doing as good a job of rendering it as my scanner does. Here's a post from another thread that's been scanned and shows the ink a little more accurately, although it looks duller than in real life. The reality is somewhere between the scan and the photo, but closer to the scan in hue. It looks washed out, though, in the scan. It's actually a richer, deeper color in real life.

Last edited by calamus; July 17th, 2018 at 10:11 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 17th, 2018)

Thanks

I had a sample of Oxford Blue a good while back. It didn't look like the color you had in the first photo. I like it, but I can only have so many inks, LOL.

Thanks

The little shaped blob on the end of the steel/gold nib is a foot. It is what is polished once the nib is split to create the slit for the ink to travel down using the capilliary action.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

That little blob is normally iridium that is sodered, welded, dipped on to the nib however the magic little elves do it.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

I had a sample of Oxford Blue a good while back. It didn't look like the color you had in the first photo. I like it, but I can only have so many inks, LOL.
    In the first photo the paper originally had an orangey cast to it, and the ink looked almost black. I took a quick on-the-fly stab at color correcting it, but making the paper white I bumped up the blue/cyan a little too much, and got the rather interesting effect I ended up with. Alas, it doesn't exist in the real world.

Oxford Blue has really grown on me, and is now my go-to ink for almost everything. At first I thought it was a little boring, but as I got to know it better, why, I just fell in love with it!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 19th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The little shaped blob on the end of the steel/gold nib is a foot. It is what is polished once the nib is split to create the slit for the ink to travel down using the capilliary action.
    I've always heard that called the tip, or the tipping. What John Mottishaw described as the foot, if I understood him correctly, is the slightly flattened part of the underside of the tip that comes in contact with the paper.

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

I am glad you got the pen back back. Having a nice pen is one thing: having a pen tuned specifically for you is sublime.
    "Love is the final fight."

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

calamus (July 18th, 2018), KKay (July 19th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dfo View Post
    I am glad you got the pen back back. Having a nice pen is one thing: having a pen tuned specifically for you is sublime.
    Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. Yes, the word sublime is an excellent choice. I haven't been able to find the appropriate superlatives to describe the experience of writing with this pen. Also, it just gets better and better as I get to know the pen more intimately. For example, I've discovered it needs only the lightest touch to write beautifully and glide effortlessly across the page, but if I add just the tiniest bit of additional (although still very slight) pressure, the stroke becomes bolder and the feel of the nib interacting with the paper becomes a completely different experience, while remaining delightful. I was expecting to be pleased, but Mr. Masuyama's work has far exceeded my most optimistic hopes.
    Last edited by calamus; July 18th, 2018 at 10:20 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 19th, 2018)