Thread: Tarnished and Corroded clips and rings

Thanks

Default Tarnished and Corroded clips and rings

Hi i have few old pens with tarnished and Corroded clips and rings ( some of them can't be removed from the cap and body) any good suggestions for trusted and experienced craftsmen. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Default Re: Tarnished and Corroded clips and rings

There is a difference between tarnishing (which can be lightly polished back into good order) and corroded (which indicated metal damage and complete plating loss). Naturally, photos would help. Many pen restoration people can do basic polishing and cleanup, but there aren't many that can do replating (which would be costly). If you can supply a couple photos and also your country location, maybe some suggestions can be made. I would only suggest replating for valuable pens, either in quality of brand or personal significance.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,437 Times in 2,522 Posts

Wenol or Simichrome polish on metal parts, subject to Jon Santo's comments above.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jaws (June 21st, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    There is a difference between tarnishing (which can be lightly polished back into good order) and corroded (which indicated metal damage and complete plating loss). Naturally, photos would help. Many pen restoration people can do basic polishing and cleanup, but there aren't many that can do replating (which would be costly). If you can supply a couple photos and also your country location, maybe some suggestions can be made. I would only suggest replating for valuable pens, either in quality of brand or personal significance.
    It's omas and it was corroded specially the sides of clip and upper ring as can be seen by last two pictures. I removed the corroded area with polishing in first two pictures as i work and live in saudi Arabia and no pen restorative professional near and around this area. Now my brother is here to visit me, he and my parents live in Houston Texas so i can send the pen with him there to save me the shipping cost which is quite allot from here to us.

Thanks

All pictures are from the mobile camera. Last two are macroshots from dslr camera

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Wenol or Simichrome polish on metal parts, subject to Jon Santo's comments above.
    Thanks. Kindly see the attached picture and if you could suggest me someone near and around Houston. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Wow... Well, that is a very nice pen and presents issues. The trim and clip have certainly seen better days but you may know that OMAS is no longer in business. It is interesting that you have the possibility of having the pen come here. I don't have any personal experience with this but I can make some inquiries as to where the work might best be done. The one thing that comes to mind is Classic Fountain Pens in Los Angeles, as they had been named the only OMAS authorised repair facility in the US before OMAS went under. John, the owner, certainly knows his way around metals. It might be worth contacting them (nibs.com) and send an email with a couple of the photos and ask if they can do replating or if they know where to get this kind of fix done.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Jaws (June 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

Wow... Well, that is a very nice pen and presents issues. The trim and clip have certainly seen better days but you may know that OMAS is no longer in business. It is interesting that you have the possibility of having the pen come here. I don't have any personal experience with this but I can make some inquiries as to where the work might best be done. The one thing that comes to mind is Classic Fountain Pens in Los Angeles, as they had been named the only OMAS authorised repair facility in the US before OMAS went under. John, the owner, certainly knows his way around metals. It might be worth contacting them (nibs.com) and send an email with a couple of the photos and ask if they can do replating or if they know where to get this kind of fix done.
    Yeah.. nice material with issues. Thanks I'm gonna check with them.
    Regards