Thread: Conklin nibs?

Thanks

Default Conklin nibs?

So I just acquired a nice black Conklin Student pen for a fairly decent price. The nib reads "Conklin SS Toledo". Does the SS stand for "Student Special and if so is this the standard nib for every student pen or just select models? Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 699 Posts

Default Re: Conklin nibs?

Hi. I should not venture to answer, as the most accurate answer I can give is "I don't know". But nobody else has said anything yet, so perhaps I can get you a little closer.

First, I'm assuming you're talking about the modern pens that use the Conklin name. The vintage Conklins can be excellent, if you find one in good enough condition. Not really the same company, though.

But about the modern Conklins. There is some information about their range of nibs here on their site: http://www.conklinpens.com/ck_nibs_page.html

You might see your nib in this lineup. There are a number of nibs with "SS" in their model numbers, and I strongly suspect it means stainless steel. But again, I don't know.

But there is a Conklin info Email address at the bottom of that page, and you might want to try writing to them for the authoritative answer.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

Like Kaputnik, I think it's far more likely it stands for "stainless steel."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    Hi. I should not venture to answer, as the most accurate answer I can give is "I don't know". But nobody else has said anything yet, so perhaps I can get you a little closer.

First, I'm assuming you're talking about the modern pens that use the Conklin name. The vintage Conklins can be excellent, if you find one in good enough condition. Not really the same company, though.

But about the modern Conklins. There is some information about their range of nibs here on their site: http://www.conklinpens.com/ck_nibs_page.html

You might see your nib in this lineup. There are a number of nibs with "SS" in their model numbers, and I strongly suspect it means stainless steel. But again, I don't know.

But there is a Conklin info Email address at the bottom of that page, and you might want to try writing to them for the authoritative answer.

Actually, I am talking about the vintage pens. I'm sorry I should have clarified. I have a BCHR student pen that says "Conklin SS Toledo" on the nib. It is a gold nib, so it couldn't stand for stainless steel. Thanks for your response though!

Thanks

I was thinking Spencerian (something?), but Student Special seems correct from what I found.............

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

joepike16 (July 13th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    I was thinking Spencerian (something?), but Student Special seems correct from what I found.............

Thanks

Nice little pen...Conklins can have very good nibs.