Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ink #19

Thanks

Default Re: Mystery Ink #19

My sample showed up yesterday, perfectly intact. This isn't a color I have a lot of experience with so it's hard for me to guess what it could be. The writing sample was done using a VAC 700 with a very wet BLS nib and a MB146 with a well tuned F nib.

The ink color is very different depending on the pen. If you squint you can almost see a little red sheen on the edges of the BLS writing (the red shows a little more on the drop test at the bottom of the page) but I suspect the 146 is more what one should expect in terms of color from a typical nib. This is too bad because I like the darker color from the BLS much more than the 146.

I have two similar inks in my collection, Iroshizuku Ama-Iro and Pelikan Topaz, though neither seem like an exact match.

The ink seems well behaved but I won't know until testing on other papers later this week.

Thanks for letting me play with an interesting ink.

IMG_0035.jpg

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mulrich For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 10th, 2018), KKay (July 10th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (July 11th, 2018), Scooby921 (July 12th, 2018)

Thanks

Interesting how different the ink looks in the two pens. No hard starting tonight, but hey to try it in an F or EF.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Ahhhh! One of my favorite color families. I have approximately one million turquoise inks, and this is timely, because in the summer I always have one turquoise-loaded pen, and it just got cleaned.

MI #19 was tested in a Parker Reflex and on Rhodia grid. I just happened to have a turquoise Pilot Varsity on the desk, and grabbed that for comparison's sake. They look vewy, vewy similar.

I also ran a paper towel chroma on both MI #19 and the Varsity. Even this is quite similar.

So far, no hard starts, no southpaw smearing, but mayyybeeee a touch of sheen? Judging by the amount on the Reflex's feed....

As to what ink.....Ab. So. Lute. Ly no clue!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 11th, 2018), KKay (July 11th, 2018), Pterodactylus (July 11th, 2018), Scooby921 (July 12th, 2018)

Thanks

Two new papers: Staples Signa notepad and HP Premium 32#. I tried to adjust the colors a bit but may have made a mess of things.

The Signa paper is really bad and feathers with any ink/pen so I'm not surprised the ink doesn't work well with it.
    There's a little featuring on the HP paper. I know this paper is well loved by others but it's never done much for me.

IMG_0040.jpg

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mulrich For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 11th, 2018), KKay (July 11th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (July 12th, 2018), Scooby921 (July 12th, 2018)

Thanks

I won't be last this time!!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 12th, 2018), KKay (July 12th, 2018), Pterodactylus (July 12th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (July 12th, 2018), suzy01 (July 12th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

That is one cool looking ink!

Thanks

Gonna switch my ink up today, I was mid portrait in black hence the delay

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks

Only had a little play so far, this is before and after water on daler rowney pocket sketchbook, the paper isn't very thick compared to what I'm used to but I didn't see any feathering or bleed through. It's almost as water spreadable as mi 17. It's a lovely turquoise blue. Super quick drying on this paper with a xxxf custom nib on my twsbi vac700. It had a weird fizzing bubbly thing when I sucked it into the pen that I hadn't seen before. Seemed to died down now seems quite high surface tension in there thou, it fogs up a bit too. More tomorrow its kiddies bathtime

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 24th, 2018), KKay (July 12th, 2018), Pterodactylus (July 12th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (July 12th, 2018), Scooby921 (July 12th, 2018)

Thanks

That is a beautiful color Scooby!

Thanks

Some thoughts after posting the pics...

Overall I feel the ink is very well behaved. It's the first ink I've ever used from this brand, so I didn't know what to expect. I'm quite happy with the way it performs. No ink looks good on the Apica paper, especially when cropped and zoomed. Like other inks, it feathers just a bit at the edges such that the letters / lines are not crisp. The Rhodia and Black n' Red pads are much better, and this is why I really like the Black n' Red pads for their price. The certain down side is the dry time. The thick, coated paper is not as absorbent and requires double time to dry.

The shading is pleasant, and looks even better cropped and zoomed. I write rather small, so it looks less impressive when I'm just watching the page as I write. As noted in my writing sample I do love the red / pink halo that develops around the letters if you get enough ink down on the page. Very similar to what I see with PE Topaz, and that's why Topaz has been my favorite ink. It's pleasant, unique, and attractive without being a sheening ink.

I may switch favorite inks after this one. I don't want to give away the mystery, but per mL this ink is more affordable than PE Topaz.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 13th, 2018), suzy01 (July 13th, 2018)

Thanks

I can't get it to do the pink thing you're all talking about. I think my nib is too thin. It behaves much better for me on the better quality seawhite paper, less absorbance and less drag, still lovely with water washed over it. I might see if I can load it into a wider nibbed pen.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 13th, 2018), Pterodactylus (July 13th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (July 13th, 2018)

Thanks

It definitely takes a wetter nib (more ink) to get the pink halo around the letters. I also find it occurs more often on the thicker, coated paper. I don't see it on the Apica pad, but it shows up on the Black n' Red. Here's another pic, zoomed in a bit more. I suppose the reality of it is sheen, but it's not like most blues with a red sheen that forms across the main body of the pen stroke.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 13th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (July 13th, 2018), suzy01 (July 13th, 2018)

Thanks

Apologies for not getting anything up yet. Life got a bit hectic. I'll try to get caught up in the next few days.

Thanks

I took some time this morning to write a bit with this mystery ink and compare it to some other similar colors I have.
    The first picture is a scan:
    FPG_Mystery_Ink_19-scan.jpg

The second picture is an white-balanced photo, where the adjustment was made automatically in GIMP:
    FPG_Mystery_Ink_19-photo_adj.jpg

Overall, I think the scan's colors are closer to what it looks like to me in person. Using a dip pen for much of the writing here introduces some inconsistencies -- it seems like that's just how the dip pen works -- but being a blue ink I generally like, I also inked a fountain pen with it. That should give a somewhat better view of the ink, and I had two other pens inked with similar colors, so I wrote with them here, too. (Though they're not all adjacent, oops!) Although the pens are different, the comparison there may be a little more consistent than with the dip pen where it's often noticeable when the ink gets low or I rotated the pen a little or something like that. It doesn't seem to be a match to any of the inks I have, or at least the ones I tried here. I might have a few more similar colored inks, but I picked the ones that I thought would be the closest to this one to write with here.

The color of this mystery ink is good IMO, if a little bit light for me in the fountain pen I have it in. I like it the darker shades I got from the dip pen a little more, and maybe another pen's nib would be closer to that look; I can try sometime. Thanks for the ink and the chance to participate -- I hope this is some help.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dronak For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 14th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (July 14th, 2018), Scooby921 (July 15th, 2018)

Thanks

A few more reflections from me. This isn't an ink I have anything to compare to - my blues are limited to Diamine Imperial Blue, and I'm now dipping my toes in to sober blue/blacks for work. I really like this ink and will certainly consider a bottle of it when I know what it is. I've done some research and have an idea what it might be, but purely based from other people's photos, and I found this ink hard to colour match...

Thanks again Scooby!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ShugPug For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 14th, 2018)

Thanks

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 15th, 2018), Scooby921 (July 15th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

One of my favourite ink colours too. I'm enjoying the mystery and looking forward to finding out what ink this is. Maybe I have a few ideas, but I have so many inks in this colour family I would find it hard to pick it out.

Thanks

An interesting experience now I've finally inked up a fine nib - an Esterbrook 9550 on to Leuchtturm 1917 paper. I've been writing my journal in this with the Twisbi stub for the last few days. In a fine nib, it is border line unpleasant - very dry and scratchy compared with any other ink I've had in this pen.

And interestingly as well, much greener! In the stub on this paper it is a blue-green. In the Esterbrook, it is a green-blue...

If I do get some of this ink, I'll only be using it in a medium or fatter nib!

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShugPug For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 15th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (July 17th, 2018), Scooby921 (July 15th, 2018)

Thanks

Hmmm...still waiting on possible reviews from countrydirt and Sammyo. I know Sam has been moving into his new house. I don't know if he has or will have time to settle down, write, and share anything with us.

Thanks

Oh I was hoping to hear what this ink was. I hope they get hot on it!