Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Waterman 7 pink nib..

  1. #1
    Member Jaws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 44 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Legendary flex icon.. now i understood the pleasure of flexwriting. Ignore the spelling mistake " legendary", i was way too busy enjoying the flex nib, forgot even how to spell it ..

    Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:

    amk (July 2nd, 2018), Cyril (July 10th, 2018), Deb (June 30th, 2018), jmccarty3 (July 15th, 2018), Kulprit (June 29th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (July 15th, 2018), Scrawler (June 29th, 2018)

  3. #2
    Senior Member Scrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,046
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 975 Times in 446 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    I have one of these, but in not such a nice body. I am not an artist so don't get the best use out of it, but it is great fun to use to write to my mother. As you pointed out the pleasure of using it can make you forget to also focus on spelling.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

    Jaws (June 29th, 2018), jmccarty3 (July 15th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (July 15th, 2018)

  5. #3
    Member Jaws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 44 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    I have one of these, but in not such a nice body. I am not an artist so don't get the best use out of it, but it is great fun to use to write to my mother. As you pointed out the pleasure of using it can make you forget to also focus on spelling.
    Yes exactly that's what happened.. so soft and flexible i wonder why can't modern pens come with such nib any more..

    Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

  6. #4
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    153
    Thanks
    328
    Thanked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Amazing pen . It is a real beauty..

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

    Jaws (July 16th, 2018)

  8. #5
    Senior Member Deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland
    Posts
    1,073
    Thanks
    596
    Thanked 998 Times in 467 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Flex doesn't come much better than that!
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

    Jaws (July 16th, 2018)

  10. #6
    Senior Member Scrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,046
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 975 Times in 446 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    The Pink nib has controllable flex. It is not sloppy like, say, an Imperial 101, but does not need much conscious pressure to open up either. It also snaps back very actively making transitions from broad to narrow sharp and precise. It rewards a fluid hand that does not pause, but writes all the way through. Unfortunately that is not me anymore as I now have advanced arthritis. I used to use it and an early Waterman Persian 94 to write to my mother because she learned to read and write in a style of writing these pens were made for.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

    Jaws (July 16th, 2018), jmccarty3 (July 15th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (July 15th, 2018)

  12. #7
    Senior Member Scrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,046
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 975 Times in 446 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Yes exactly that's what happened.. so soft and flexible i wonder why can't modern pens come with such nib any more..

    Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
    The exact alloys, the cutting and tempering, were all done by craftsmen. Each nib was made by someone who understood the material. These arts and crafts are disappearing.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

    Jaws (July 16th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (July 15th, 2018)

  14. #8
    Senior Member Deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland
    Posts
    1,073
    Thanks
    596
    Thanked 998 Times in 467 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    The Pink nib has controllable flex. It is not sloppy like, say, an Imperial 101, but does not need much conscious pressure to open up either. It also snaps back very actively making transitions from broad to narrow sharp and precise. It rewards a fluid hand that does not pause, but writes all the way through. Unfortunately that is not me anymore as I now have advanced arthritis. I used to use it and an early Waterman Persian 94 to write to my mother because she learned to read and write in a style of writing these pens were made for.
    That's sad, about the arthritis. I have it myself, though not too badly. It does become very limiting.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

  15. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    359
    Thanked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    The Pink nib has controllable flex. It is not sloppy like, say, an Imperial 101, but does not need much conscious pressure to open up either. It also snaps back very actively making transitions from broad to narrow sharp and precise. It rewards a fluid hand that does not pause, but writes all the way through. Unfortunately that is not me anymore as I now have advanced arthritis. I used to use it and an early Waterman Persian 94 to write to my mother because she learned to read and write in a style of writing these pens were made for.
    I have one of these as well, and am also losing fine motor control due to age. It's really frustrating to have such fine pens and not to be able to use them optimally.

  16. #10
    Senior Member Scrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,046
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 975 Times in 446 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Quote Originally Posted by jmccarty3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    The Pink nib has controllable flex. It is not sloppy like, say, an Imperial 101, but does not need much conscious pressure to open up either. It also snaps back very actively making transitions from broad to narrow sharp and precise. It rewards a fluid hand that does not pause, but writes all the way through. Unfortunately that is not me anymore as I now have advanced arthritis. I used to use it and an early Waterman Persian 94 to write to my mother because she learned to read and write in a style of writing these pens were made for.
    I have one of these as well, and am also losing fine motor control due to age. It's really frustrating to have such fine pens and not to be able to use them optimally.
    I have become rather anxious about it and have slowed down coming in here as a result. I see a time coming when I will have to give my pens away.

  17. #11
    Member Jaws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 44 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Yes exactly that's what happened.. so soft and flexible i wonder why can't modern pens come with such nib any more..

    Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
    The exact alloys, the cutting and tempering, were all done by craftsmen. Each nib was made by someone who understood the material. These arts and crafts are disappearing.
    True.. and also when i took off the nib it is so thin and light in cross section. Wonderful craftsmanship

    Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

  18. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    118
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    The pink #7 is indeed a wonderful pen. Many Waterman nibs from the 1920s and early 30s are fun to write with.

    The thing about the #7 pink is that it is also a status symbol. I've been collecting old Watermans for a few years and now have 4 pink nibs. 3 are on #7 red ripple pens and one is on a #5 celluloid.

    I lusted after my first pink #7 ripple pen. I was very happy when I finially bought one. As much as I love the 'pinks' I have other model 52, 12, 54 and 14 Watermans with #2 and #4 nibs that feel the same or better. I'm referring to flex, snap-back and control of the flex

    The thing that I love about Waterman is the number of variations of each size were made. You could just collect pens with the #2 nib and have a collection with lots of variation in color, number and type of cap rings. Some are chased, some are smooth. They are all great pens
    Last edited by Pen Tom; August 6th, 2018 at 06:24 PM.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pen Tom For This Useful Post:

    Jaws (August 25th, 2018)

  20. #13
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    2,517
    Thanks
    502
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    I've had the hard rubber pinks in No. 5 with the cool cap shape and No. 7, but I prefer the No. 7 jet black celluloid version. Here is one that I had to transfer a pink button from a mediocre barrel to a great barrel. The end result was quite nice, and the buyer was ecstatic.

    DSC01252.jpgDSC01253.jpgDSC01254.jpgIMG_2204.jpgIMG_2207.jpgIMG_2200.jpg

    I agree they are wonderful flex writers, yet their stellar flex nib performance can be duplicated with other pens for far less cash outlay. It's just that with a pink, you know what to expect.

  21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

    Cyril (March 18th, 2019), Jaws (August 25th, 2018), pajaro (September 14th, 2018), popcod (March 26th, 2019), Scrawler (August 6th, 2018)

  22. #14
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    2,517
    Thanks
    502
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Here's another pink in jet celluloid with a full set of its brethren. Oh, and there's a pencil, too!

    IMG_0282.jpg

  23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

    Cyril (September 14th, 2018), Jaws (September 15th, 2018), Kudzu (July 22nd, 2019), popcod (March 26th, 2019)

  24. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    118
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    That is a beautiful set of 7 7's. My first Waterman was a #7 black celluloid with a black #7 plug. But the nib was a non-color #7. Great pen.

  25. #16
    Member Jaws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 44 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Quote Originally Posted by Pen Tom View Post
    The pink #7 is indeed a wonderful pen. Many Waterman nibs from the 1920s and early 30s are fun to write with.

    The thing about the #7 pink is that it is also a status symbol. I've been collecting old Watermans for a few years and now have 4 pink nibs. 3 are on #7 red ripple pens and one is on a #5 celluloid.

    I lusted after my first pink #7 ripple pen. I was very happy when I finially bought one. As much as I love the 'pinks' I have other model 52, 12, 54 and 14 Watermans with #2 and #4 nibs that feel the same or better. I'm referring to flex, snap-back and control of the flex

    The thing that I love about Waterman is the number of variations of each size were made. You could just collect pens with the #2 nib and have a collection with lots of variation in color, number and type of cap rings. Some are chased, some are smooth. They are all great pens
    Thanks for sharing the wonderful knowledge and experience

    Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

  26. #17
    Member Jaws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 44 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Here's another pink in jet celluloid with a full set of its brethren. Oh, and there's a pencil, too!

    IMG_0282.jpg
    Wowww.. thanks a nice collection

    Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

  27. #18
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    153
    Thanks
    328
    Thanked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Amazing set of pens and they are well preserved ! well done!

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

    Jaws (September 15th, 2018)

  29. #19
    Senior Member pajaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,049
    Thanks
    353
    Thanked 398 Times in 282 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Timeless elegance.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

    Jaws (September 15th, 2018)

  31. #20
    Member Sid the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Toluca Lake, California
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Waterman 7 pink nib..

    Hey guys! If your hands get worse, I'd be pleased to give one (or two) of those fellows a good home.

    It's a mistake I've made with cats, too.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •