Thread: Cleaning finger print oil from pens

Thanks

Default Cleaning finger print oil from pens

Hi, everybody. I just got a Visconti Divina green and just inked it up. When I first opened up the box for the first time and examined the pen it was faultless. But when I inked it up and started to write with it I noticed some fingerprints from the oil or some other stuff. The metal spirals that they use is very glossy so every little thing shows up. After writing, I took a micro-fiber cloth, a clean one, and started cleaning it but it won't come off. Has anyone of you guys run into this before? How do you guys clean your pens? I only just dampen a cloth with water and then wipe down my Dark Age and other pens and never encountered this problem where fingerprints wouldn't come off.

Thanks guys and gals, have a Happy 4th!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Default Re: Cleaning finger print oil from pens

I am not familiar with the pen, but based on what you've written, it seems like the marks are tarnish, like fingerprints on bare copper. Chatterley Luxeries describes the metal of the pen: "The spirals on the Green Divina Elegance are solid bronze, and the metal trims on the pen are plated with rose gold." Bronze is the source of the tarnish. Try Wenol or Simichrome to remove the tarnish on the bronze, but go very lightly if at all on the gold plate, followed by a durable wax to protect the bronze from tarnishing so quickly. One restorer recently told me wax is a problem when it comes to prepping a pen for replating, but solid bronze shouldn't need plating. Visconti might have their own recommendations.

Thanks

Default Re: Cleaning finger print oil from pens

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I am not familiar with the pen, but based on what you've written, it seems like the marks are tarnish, like fingerprints on bare copper. Chatterley Luxeries describes the metal of the pen: "The spirals on the Green Divina Elegance are solid bronze, and the metal trims on the pen are plated with rose gold." Bronze is the source of the tarnish. Try Wenol or Simichrome to remove the tarnish on the bronze, but go very lightly if at all on the gold plate, followed by a durable wax to protect the bronze from tarnishing so quickly. One restorer recently told me wax is a problem when it comes to prepping a pen for replating, but solid bronze shouldn't need plating. Visconti might have their own recommendations.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll try on a small portion or perhaps on one spiral and see how it goes.