Thread: Da Book

Thanks

Default Da Book

I decided to buy a copy to hopefully expand my knowledge of repair.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spideysgirl For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (July 7th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Da Book

It is a very good book to have in your personal library, but there *is* one caveat: while Mr. Dubiel was a respected repair person and one of the first to put a lot of this down, repair knowledge and techniques have advanced in the years since. As such, some of his ways of working on pens are thought of as a little sketchy these days.

One basic example is heating the barrel/section for section removal - these days people use a dry heat source, everything from a basic hair dryer to a heat gun. In the book, he puts the pens over the open flame of an alchohol lamp. This is not to say you can't damage a pen with a heat gun, but you'll rarely have it catch fire!

Anyway, still a great resource to have. I get by with Da Book, Richard Binder's massive online resource for pen repair/restoration and my favorite, "Pen Repair" by Marshall and Oldfield.

I think it's pretty neat you decided to buy a book to learn more; not many people seem to do that anymore!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Deb (July 8th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Would cleaning and adjusting the nib slit with a pocket knive be an example?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Would cleaning and adjusting the nib slit with a pocket knive be an example?
    Another winner.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    It is a very good book to have in your personal library, but there *is* one caveat: while Mr. Dubiel was a respected repair person and one of the first to put a lot of this down, repair knowledge and techniques have advanced in the years since. As such, some of his ways of working on pens are thought of as a little sketchy these days.

One basic example is heating the barrel/section for section removal - these days people use a dry heat source, everything from a basic hair dryer to a heat gun. In the book, he puts the pens over the open flame of an alchohol lamp. This is not to say you can't damage a pen with a heat gun, but you'll rarely have it catch fire!

Anyway, still a great resource to have. I get by with Da Book, Richard Binder's massive online resource for pen repair/restoration and my favorite, "Pen Repair" by Marshall and Oldfield.

I think it's pretty neat you decided to buy a book to learn more; not many people seem to do that anymore!
    I watched YouTube videos at first, and know that using open flames isn't good and so is a pocket knife for nib adjustment. I also found Richard Binder's website and learned a lot there especially changing sacs and pressure bars.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spideysgirl For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 7th, 2018)