Thread: Deoxidizer advice

Thanks

Default Deoxidizer advice

I have a few BCHR pens that I was going to reblacken with Mark Hoover's deoxidizer. These are lever filled pens so my question is do I need to remove both the lever and the cap clip before I soak the pens in the solution?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Default Re: Deoxidizer advice

I would skip the Goovering.

Thanks

Typically I'd agree. It's certainly not something that I'm in that habit of doing. However, I broke my barrel and picked up a replacement so I am going to use the deoxidizer to ensure the color is uniform. Plus it's a cheaper pen and so it allows me to experiment a bit on my own with relatively little risk.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joepike16 View Post
    I have a few BCHR pens that I was going to reblacken with Mark Hoover's deoxidizer. These are lever filled pens so my question is do I need to remove both the lever and the cap clip before I soak the pens in the solution?
    No, you do not remove the lever or clip before treatment. However, it is a good idea to poke cotton into the open end of the barrel and the cap to prevent the honey-like solution from entering the ends or the lever area, because it's a chore to remove it after treatment. Besides, there's no reason to apply it to the inner surfaces, and it would be a waste of solution. Follow up with mineral oil.

Follow Mark's instructions here: http://www.lbepen.com/deoxidizer-instructions

I strongly recommend having patience and taking time to remove all mineral oil from inner surfaces, especially from the lever and pressure bar mechanism, before installing a new sac.
    Last edited by FredRydr; July 16th, 2018 at 08:34 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

joepike16 (July 18th, 2018)