Thread: Robert Oster Inks - running dry?

Thanks

Default Robert Oster Inks - running dry?

Hi Pen Peeps,

I’ve been getting into RO inks recently, and love them bc of their complex colors that show up with shading - BUT I’m having some issues with specific colors.

When I use summer storm, Australian Opal Mauve or viola with a broad nib, the ink starts out strong and then tends to run dry to the point of skipping.

This happens in my Pelikans, TWSBIs and Franklin Christoph. (See pic. I had to apply a lot of pressure to write that quote.)

Is there a better pen combination? Am I doing something wrong?

I love these colors...and want to use them.

Thanks!
    -N

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ferociousnpretty; July 19th, 2018 at 03:29 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Robert Oster Inks - running dry?

I have about 16 Robert Oster inks.

They are all bone dry.

Lots of priming the feed.

Nice colors (too many teals though) especially the greens. They clean out well. However, they all have pretty reluctant flow and pretty low lubrication.

His inks seem to have very little surficants or humectants or anything but dye and water.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

ferociousnpretty (July 19th, 2018), KKay (August 13th, 2018), Rossler (September 19th, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks @stub!

The weird things I’ve noticed:
    1) I haven’t had any issues with the blue or blue-green inks that sheen. Those ones seem to be fine.
    2) I had samples of the inks before I purchased them and had no issues. Have you experienced that?

I was thinking of reaching out via DM in instagram, but wanted to check in with my pen peeps first.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

Hi N-

Robert Oster is a boutique ink designer and I suspect each lot number comes out a little bit different (Just like Noodlers.) If you have the time and like to experiment there are a couple of things you can try.

1) Dawn dishwashing detergent. The original scent stuff! Add a drop to a large empty glass and fill up with tap water. Dilute until you just barely see suds. Then rinse your converter or piston fill pen several times in the solution. Then Empty. DO NOT rinse out with clean water. The detergent will leave a thin layer of surfactants (wettable agents) on the inside of the converter/piston. Refill with ink and let sit for a day before writing. [My wife uses Dawn dishwashing detergent at Sealife Rescue to remove oil residue from birds who have come in coated with oil. It is very effective and also very mild.]

2) For more consistent results use Glycerol/Glycerin USP grade. This is also a very good wettable agent that is used in fountain pen inks by manufacturers. You can purchase an ounce or two from a local pharmacy (assuming they aren't just pill pushers.) Compounding pharmacies are the best source. Tell them you need it to add to fountain pen inks. When you get home you will see it is a thick clear syrup just like corn syrup you find in the grocery store. In a small clear bottle you will mix this 50/50 with distilled water. Store in a cool dark place and check for growth from time to time. If anything grows, then throw the bottle out and make a new batch. To use, add 4 mls of ink to a plastic ink sample vial. Then add one drop of the glycerin mixture, cap and shake. If it still writes too dry, then add another drop, cap and shake. I recommend that you DO NOT add the glycerine mixture to the whole bottle of ink, because it is easier to judge results on a small sample than making a boo-boo and having to throw out the ink bottle.

All the Best.
    Last edited by junglejim; July 19th, 2018 at 12:39 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (July 26th, 2018), ferociousnpretty (July 19th, 2018), jmccarty3 (August 10th, 2018), KKay (July 19th, 2018)

Thanks

This is great information!
    Thanks so much for sharing it. I didn’t know what to search for in all the forums, so I appreciate you taking the time to provide some tips/tricks! <3

Thanks

Photoflo works like a charm. Use as directed as above.

Thanks

Recently I decided to try my sample of RO Astorquiza Rot. It has been sitting in the sample vial for about a year.

Put it in an Aurora 88 with a moderately wet italic nib and ebonite feed (those are supposed to promote ink flow). The pen was used on and off for about a week, I think, and then started skipping. Previously it was inked with DeAtramentis Dante Alighieri -- also from a year-old sample vial, also used intermittently -- and worked without a hiccup over the course of a month, so I'm confident it's not the pen.

If this is indicative of the other RO inks, then I also vote "dry".
    Last edited by Ahriman4891; August 9th, 2018 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks

I have Robert Oster-Deep Sea. It is a little dry, but not bad. I wouldn't leave it in a pen for more than 3 weeks most likely. I did try the Melon Tea. I liked it a lot, but never bought it. There was a similar color Bronze something or other. I planned to try that one in the future. He does have lovely colors though, from what I've seen. Now the Melon Tea did write just fine in a F and EF nib for me, as I recall.

Thanks

I haven't had any problems with Robert Oster inks. In fact Blue Water Ice is my favorite ink right now. They seem more of a medium wetness ink to me actually about like the Montblanc inks I have.