Thread: Replcement nib for Visconti Wall Street?

Thanks

Default Replcement nib for Visconti Wall Street?

I have recently acquired a newer Visconti Wall Street, with a 14k F nib. I would love replace it with an XF nib. I am new to the fountain pen world and don't know if this is possible, and if so, how to accomplish it. Any suggestions or guidance welcome. Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Default Re: Replcement nib for Visconti Wall Street?

A few retailers sell new Visconti nib units and you can occasionally find them on eBay or other second hand sources. A few things to be aware of (in no particular order).

1) Visconti hasn't made 14k nibs in a while so any new nib unit will be 23k palladium. 14k nibs are generally liked more than palladium. I really like the palladium nibs but some people don't.
    2) Visconti uses two nib sizes so make sure you get the right size nib. I think the Wall Street uses the larger, #6 size nib.
    3) Visconti nib units can be unscrewed but doing so by hand is generally a bad idea. You can buy a tool specifically designed to unscrew Visconti nib units but they're hard to find.
    4) You'll probably have to replace the entire nib unit and not just the nib. Loose Visconti nibs are really rare and it's easier to replace the entire unit than a nib.
    5) If you don't want to keep the 14k nib you could contact Coles of London about a nib swap. But I'd probably want to keep or sell the 14k nib since it's hard to find.

I know appelboom sells Visconti nib units:
    https://appelboom.com/brands-903/bra...d-refills-570/

It looks like Goulet sells steel units:
    https://www.gouletpens.com/pages/sea...visconti%20nib

Nib removal tool:
    http://www.wqy7d306o.homepage.t-onli...valmanual.html
    I bought the tool from this guy and it works as expected. I think I had to email him since the site doesn't have a webshop.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mulrich For This Useful Post:

Robert (July 19th, 2018), tropigal (July 20th, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks so much for this info, Mulrich! I prefer the 14k nib as well -- I wish the F nib was finer. Perhaps if I find an XF 14k nib I can see what the difference is. I love the pen!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

The very simple other solution, if you are certain an F is too wide for you, is to send the pen to an experienced nibsmith and have it ground to an XF (EF). Not a particularly large degree of change to the nib and you can have them adjust it to suit your personal writing style. It should also be far less costly than a new nib.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Driften (July 22nd, 2018), Scrawler (July 22nd, 2018), SIR (July 21st, 2018), tropigal (July 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    The very simple other solution, if you are certain an F is too wide for you, is to send the pen to an experienced nibsmith and have it ground to an XF (EF). Not a particularly large degree of change to the nib and you can have them adjust it to suit your personal writing style. It should also be far less costly than a new nib.
    +1

Mike Masuyama would be my recommendation!

http://mikeitwork.com/

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 1st, 2020), tropigal (July 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

Also an excellent option! Thanks so much, guys. This is exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks

The regrind and tuning to your liking is MUCH cheeper then replacing the nib and it will be tailored to YOU. If all you want is for it to be adjusted drier most guys would do that for like $25 where if you want it reground finer and to your writing angle and such it would be more around $50. In any case much cheeper then the hundreds you would pay for a new gold or pd nib.

Thanks

If you're in the USA, call Coles of London (call, don't email). They are the importer for Visconti pens in the USA. You can either buy a replacement nib from them or ship them the pen and have it swapped. IIRC the cost to swap is around $80. A new full-size 23kt Pd nib is $360.

Thanks

Talking Re: Replcement nib for Visconti Wall Street?

Hi If your still looking - I have a Visconti Wall Street limited editiion with XXF. Its jsut that bit too fine for me now (was ok when I got it around 15 years ago but I have gone a bit broader over the years !) I think it will be the old style Palladium nib. Not sure where you are - Im in London and would suggest we use a professional to switch. If you are all sorted - well done.