Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: What is the most obscure FP brand that you can think of?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: What is the most obscure FP brand that you can think of?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Is Ta Tung obscure?

Attachment 67542
    If it's obscure to you as the poster, then it fits this thread

All I know Ta Tung could mean "Big East" in Mandarin Chinese, and I have seen products with that brand, but not fountain pens.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

I used to have a desk fan made by TaTung. Interesting that they made pens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Radonactionservices For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (February 11th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Radonactionservices View Post
    I used to have a desk fan made by TaTung. Interesting that they made pens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is the only Ta Tung I have ever seen. Very few people ever mention them. As far as I can find out they were a manufacturer of school pen in period 196x-1980. This is a syringe filler like in the Remington above.

tatungi.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 28th, 2022)

Thanks

It's been a while since I added to this educational thread.

I got this beautiful Camel pen last year. I am not kidding when I said that it took me months to restore this pen working on it here and there. The main reason being the uniquely designed filling system that is very interesting to say the least, involving dried ink pellets designed to be mixed with water, which, of course, are nowhere to be found today.

Fortunately, when you ran out of those, this pen still can be used as an ordinary button filler. That is ... if you live a century ago, when everything inside the pen was still in good order.

Today, we have to get to the inside, clean it up, and replace the ink sac.
    Doesn't sound too bad, you may think.

Reading through the article by Richard Binder on this brand already cautioned me for the possibility of not being able to disassemble this pen with all parts intact.

Why?

First, several parts gingerly attached to each other, caked by decades of dried ink, plus you have to unscrew (rotate) everything *together* to get it out of the barrel. And to make it worse, internally, everything inside that barrel including the button that sticks out at the end (with the blind cap open) is connected via a thin metal brace.

Guess which part didn't make it intact upon disassembly? Yep, the brace.

I considered several ways to make this a functional pen without repairing the brace, but none are satisfactory. In the end, I bit the bullet and fashion a mini-splint to support the point of breakage on the brace. That's a one-liner summary of a series of trial-and-error spanning weeks.

In the end, after I installed a #18 ink sac turned into an open-ended tube, the filling assembly was ready to be screwed into the barrel, which is again, as tricky or trickier than the disassembly. One little snag when everything rotates inside the barrel -- with minimum clearance, and we're back to square one.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9d96e7a2_c.jpg

** In the background, you see a diagram that I created to remind myself how I repaired this pen.

Now the pen functions as a button filler. And I have used it for a few refills already.

I love, love this pen, with its original Camel 14K nib sporting the same logo as on the barrel, two camels holding a nib (or at least that's what the image looks like to me).
    - Will

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

christof (March 28th, 2022), Jon Szanto (March 28th, 2022), Scrawler (March 29th, 2022), Yazeh (March 28th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    ...In the end, I bit the bullet and fashion a mini-splint to support the point of breakage on the brace....
    Cool! In the end, what did you use to attach the splint to the brace?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...In the end, I bit the bullet and fashion a mini-splint to support the point of breakage on the brace....
    Cool! In the end, what did you use to attach the splint to the brace?
    First, I tried 2-parts epoxy, which is tricky to apply on such a small surface(s).

Finally, the CA glue (don't forget to work in well ventilated area) wins. It doesn't add thickness to the splint, which is kinda important since this is a double splint (tried one side only, no good, it can't handle the shear force when rotating the assembly in the barrel).
    - Will

10. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (March 28th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

@penwash, thank you for showing your meticulous work. This might be a naive question, but would have been possible to recreate the broken brace with a 3D printer?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

penwash (March 28th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

In honor of Will's Camel triumph (and his recent Pennant article!), I've updated the list of pens in the beginning of the thread. And because it was overdue, too.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

penwash (March 28th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    @penwash, thank you for showing your meticulous work. This might be a naive question, but would have been possible to recreate the broken brace with a 3D printer?
    It's a valid question. Based on what I know about 3D printing, we don't have yet a printer that can make something out of metal as thin, flexible and strong as the brace needs to be.

Maybe the 3D printer that Boeing use to print jet engine parts can do it, but when I asked to buy one at the hardware store, they just fresh ran out of stock

A closer shot would be to find a metal fabrication shop who is willing to stamp out a replica of the brace for me.
    I don't know anyone nearby who is willing to do that, it would almost have to be a personal favor or some sort.

Besides all that, the brace is still strong and flexible. And the splint idea worked out better than I expected
    - Will

16. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (March 28th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

...A closer shot would be to find a metal fabrication shop who is willing to stamp out a replica of the brace for me.
    I don't know anyone nearby who is willing to do that, it would almost have to be a personal favor or some sort....
    Have them produce 1,000 of them, keep one and sell the rest to your eager customers.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 28th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...A closer shot would be to find a metal fabrication shop who is willing to stamp out a replica of the brace for me.
    I don't know anyone nearby who is willing to do that, it would almost have to be a personal favor or some sort....
    Have them produce 1,000 of them, keep one and sell the rest to your eager customers.
    Sure, Fred.

I'll send 500 to you to sell at the pen shows in the East Coast, we'll split the profits.
    I'll sell the remaining 499 at the Dallas Pen Show:

"What's that?"

"Why, that is the mega-important Brace(TM) for your Camel pens, you need at least 3 ... each month !!!"
    - Will

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

I'll send 500 to you to sell at the pen shows in the East Coast, we'll split the profits.

"What's that?"

"Why, that is the mega-important Brace(TM) for your Camel pens, you need at least 3 ... each month !!!"
    Laser engrave them with edition numbers of #/1000 and call it a "Limited Edition Brace" and you'll have no problem selling to the FOMO crowd.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; March 28th, 2022 at 07:50 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

"What's that?"

Laser engrave them with edition numbers of #/1000 and call it a "Limited Edition Brace" and you'll have no problem selling to the FOMO crowd.
    LOL!
    - Will

Thanks

I think that products from little-known companies, but making quality and collectible products, should tie their products to the NFT, for example through http://collectid.io/, so that no one in the future, if the price of this collectible item rises, it can be easily checked, which minimizes the risk of becoming a victim of fraud otherwise I constantly hear about someone buying fake goods, which would not happen if this product has this technology.
    Last edited by ovachlena; August 9th, 2022 at 02:37 AM.

Thanks

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to evanhouseman For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 9th, 2022), Scrawler (August 9th, 2022), Yazeh (August 9th, 2022)

Thanks

Uhu...makes glue in Germany, but once made fountain pens.

The picture is swiped from EastBay, in I don't want to bother my wife and her handy. I bothered her yesterday for my brand new MP collection. I use a landline, so don't get joke of the day.

I don't have the box and paper, just the pen.....and ink. The pen is sort of a green 'tortoise'** and I think just post war. Has the '30's style top, but the clip looks a bit modern. SS semi-flex nib. In 'gold' letters, UHU Primus, with an 8 number serial number.....so this is more than likely a school pen.

**Pelikan had a 'green tortoise/seaweed' early '50's pen....that I don't have...
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; September 11th, 2022 at 04:00 AM.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BoBo Olson For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (September 12th, 2022), Jon Szanto (September 11th, 2022), Scrawler (September 11th, 2022), Yazeh (September 12th, 2022)

Thanks

Smile Re: What is the most obscure FP brand that you can think of?

May I reopen this older thread with one obscure branded fountain pen I bought recently here in Germany.

It is a piston filler from around late 50's / early 60s in black plastics, no engravings on clip or ring. The barrel is engraved with "Eshaco 250".
    It has a fine steel nib labelled "Schulfeder", which is german and means "School nib". Nibs with this engraving are on some different, second tier brands german fountain pens from the 50s made for students.

So this pen could be made in Germany. There is one Ebay seller offering this pen and speculating it could be from Germany or german made for the Netherland market.
    I did not find any information about a german manufacturer "Eshaco". There was an producer of medical goods in Netherlands named "Eshaco" around the last century, but their successor company told me they don't know if they ever made promotional or merchandise pens with their company name engraved. Against the thesis of the Netherlands Medical Company as s source for these pens stands also, that - beneath the 50's model -, there is an "Eshaco" fountain pen from the 1930s mentioned somewhere in this forum. Therefore "Eshaco" should be a manufacturer / brand which was active at least from 1930s to 1960s.

There are only four mentions in the www about this pen / brand, one on reddit from a buyer in USA, one from the mentioned ebay seller, one in this forum about the 1930s model and one is mine. So the background of these "Eshaco" pens remains obscure until today - unless someone who reads this has a hint and would post it here....
    Attached Images Attached Images

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Etojok For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (July 28th, 2023), Yazeh (July 28th, 2023)

Thanks

I have a Ken Cavers custom turned pen. He typically does one or two pens from a pen material and likes taking on some challenges of design, materials, etc. Not too sure he does many though each year as a MD he is busy but thankful for his hobby as I was able to add one of his pens to my collection and the wait was not too too long.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (July 28th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I have a Ken Cavers custom turned pen. He typically does one or two pens from a pen material and likes taking on some challenges of design, materials, etc. Not too sure he does many though each year as a MD he is busy but thankful for his hobby as I was able to add one of his pens to my collection and the wait was not too too long.
    I was recently trying to find out about this pen. I posted pictures a while back to see if anyone knew the maker. It was made by Ken Cavers and I have been able to have a chat with him about it.

edison3.jpg

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 28th, 2023), Etojok (July 29th, 2023), penwash (July 29th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (July 28th, 2023), SlowMovingTarget (July 31st, 2023), Yazeh (July 28th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    I had never heard of these before, but I stumbled across this fountain pen on eBay. It's called a Haro, and has a glass nib. They were made in Germany.

I have a similar pen somewhere and have some extra nibs. I did a research how to remove the nib but It seems a bit complicating as you need a right "wide pen grip Pile ( with rubber grips. ) It is a as fantastic tool as a glass dip pen.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (August 1st, 2023)