Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most obscure FP brand that you can think of?

Thanks

Default Re: What is the most obscure FP brand that you can think of?

Meant to add this oddity as well. I realized how poor of condition the original pen body was in after receiving it and one of the tines had lost its tipping material. However, I have never seen another reference to the Kendrick Bellamy company anywhere else. The best reference I can find is that Kenrick Bellamy was once a book seller in Denver Colorado. From what I could find, it was apparently a rather large company as well, supplying books and goods to many on the western frontier.

A shame about the nib. It's a beautifully flexible nib, but that missing tipping, plus the fineness of the gold, means that unless I want to fork out more than the value of the nib or pen to get it repaired, it will have to go on unusable for now.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 27th, 2018), Cob (August 1st, 2018), penwash (July 27th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    A shame about the nib. It's a beautifully flexible nib, but that missing tipping, plus the fineness of the gold, means that unless I want to fork out more than the value of the nib or pen to get it repaired, it will have to go on unusable for now.
    Jon, even though you just have to keep it as part of your collection, I think you have done this nib a good service. Thanks to you now it has a bit more exposure. Not until we see these obscure brands that we realized how much ingrained in societies all over the world fountain pens were in the past. And to me, it's endlessly fascinating.

Putting my restorer/geek hat on, that nib looks awfully like an old Conklin Toledo nib. Something about its proportion seems familiar to me.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Let's expand our repertoire of FP lore/knowledge together.

Either vintage or modern pens, from time to time you'd hear about (or bought from ebay) a brand so obscure that you wonder if anyone else know about it. Share and tell us what you know (or don't know) about it. Not limited to one, of course, the more the merrier.

PS: Bonus point if you actually have the pen and can share a picture of it.
    To be fair, outside of our little enclave, i'd reckon that the majority of people only know one or two of the most well known pen brands...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Jon, even though you just have to keep it as part of your collection, I think you have done this nib a good service. Thanks to you now it has a bit more exposure. Not until we see these obscure brands that we realized how much ingrained in societies all over the world fountain pens were in the past. And to me, it's endlessly fascinating.

Putting my restorer/geek hat on, that nib looks awfully like an old Conklin Toledo nib. Something about its proportion seems familiar to me.
    Hmmm...Interesting. Now that you mention it, it does look like a Conklin nib. I wonder if, at a time, Conklin might have produced nibs as a specialty sub-brand run for the Kendrick Bellamy book shop?

Now I want to find a Conklin to see if I can fit the nib into it. That would be compelling to get the nib retipped.

Edit: This was the original pen body that the nib came from:

Last edited by AzJon; July 27th, 2018 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Let's expand our repertoire of FP lore/knowledge together.

Either vintage or modern pens, from time to time you'd hear about (or bought from ebay) a brand so obscure that you wonder if anyone else know about it. Share and tell us what you know (or don't know) about it. Not limited to one, of course, the more the merrier.

PS: Bonus point if you actually have the pen and can share a picture of it.
    To be fair, outside of our little enclave, i'd reckon that the majority of people only know one or two of the most well known pen brands...
    But... we are inside of our enclave here at the FPGeeks, aren't we?

I agree that no one who is not into FP writing or collecting would even give a hoot about obscure brands, but it seems that this thread has grown into a very educational one. At least for me.
    - Will

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (July 28th, 2018), Jon Szanto (July 27th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post

But... we are inside of our enclave here at the FPGeeks, aren't we?

I agree that no one who is not into FP writing or collecting would even give a hoot about obscure brands, but it seems that this thread has grown into a very educational one. At least for me.
    Oh, no doubt... and i don't disagree with asking the question; but as Jon observed obscurity is very relative and beyond a certain threshold there are many equals in the field of gross obscurity.

Another question though, which is the most obscure pen - from both well known and obscure makers?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

penwash (July 29th, 2018)

Thanks

Obscure French brands: Matcher Colombes, Stylochap (goes with Oldchap, but I'm never sure if they are the same company or not).

Brands from God knows where: Talisman, Acorn.

All four are 1930s / 1940s. I'd love to know more about them if anyone has any ideas!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I am really enjoying this thread. Some great and interesting pens I would never have seen otherwise.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Cob (August 1st, 2018), Jon Szanto (July 30th, 2018), KrazyIvan (July 29th, 2018), penwash (July 29th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    Obscure French brands: Matcher Colombes, Stylochap (goes with Oldchap, but I'm never sure if they are the same company or not).

Brands from God knows where: Talisman, Acorn.

All four are 1930s / 1940s. I'd love to know more about them if anyone has any ideas!
    I may have encountered a Stylochap, but not the other three.

Never heard of Acorn or Talisman, sounds like British pen brands, doesn't it?
    - Will

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Acorn pens and stylos were made by Jewel in London. I think the Talisman is Continental, maybe French. It's a quality piston filler, or at least the ones I've seen are.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

amk (July 31st, 2018), Cob (August 1st, 2018), penwash (July 17th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Is there any way to directly upload an image without using a hosting site? I have pictures of The Wembley pen to post. This obscure little number was already way out of date and obsolete when it came on to the market. It is a slender BCHR eye dropper pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Is there any way to directly upload an image without using a hosting site? I have pictures of The Wembley pen to post. This obscure little number was already way out of date and obsolete when it came on to the market. It is a slender BCHR eye dropper pen.
    Go to the advanced editor for uploading options. If you use the quick reply, hosting links are the only option. Use the manage attachments option under the "Additional Options" box that is below your reply box. Click "Add Files." When you see your image in the catalog. Drag the image you want to the lower attachments box. Click the insert Inline button at the bottom of the dialog box and you will see your picture files listed under the Manage Attachments button in your reply page.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (July 30th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

wembley_2.JPG

This is the Wembley Pen. This was the cheap Bic of its age and like Bic pens most were just thrown away so very few survived to be seen by modern people. These sold for one shilling when an Onoto cost 30 shillings.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 2nd, 2020), KrazyIvan (July 31st, 2018), penwash (July 31st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,011 Posts

This may step a little outside of the thread title if for no other reason that it's an example where the brand isn't just obscure but unknown! I've posted this set before, but I'm sure a lot of people have found pens from the golden eras that didn't have any branding or provenance, and this set is like that. Absolutely no markings anywhere that would indicate original manufacture, in spite of the fact that it is moderately high quality and a nice material. I may have show this here on FPG before; I got some good info in a now-defunct Facebook group and not certain if I can ever find it again, but it is a set worth including.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

calamus (July 30th, 2018), Eddie Southgate (December 8th, 2018), KrazyIvan (August 1st, 2018), Malcolm (March 21st, 2021), penwash (July 31st, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (July 31st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

That is an absolutely gorgeous set! Just beautiful.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Jon, that looks very similar to a celluloid used by Bayard in France. One of my favourite patterns! It's the thin white line that really makes it ping.

One day I must get round to doing a celluloid/brand matching exercise and trying to work out which factories were supplying which brands.

Thanks

Deb, thanks for the info on Acorn - I picked the pen up in France, like the Talisman, so either they exported, or someone bought it on a trip to London.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    wembley_2.JPG

This is the Wembley Pen. This was the cheap Bic of its age and like Bic pens most were just thrown away so very few survived to be seen by modern people. These sold for one shilling when an Onoto cost 30 shillings.
    That is cool that you have a survivor in such a good condition.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    This may step a little outside of the thread title if for no other reason that it's an example where the brand isn't just obscure but unknown! I've posted this set before, but I'm sure a lot of people have found pens from the golden eras that didn't have any branding or provenance, and this set is like that. Absolutely no markings anywhere that would indicate original manufacture, in spite of the fact that it is moderately high quality and a nice material. I may have show this here on FPG before; I got some good info in a now-defunct Facebook group and not certain if I can ever find it again, but it is a set worth including.

That is quite ... electric!
    - Will

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ...Absolutely no markings anywhere that would indicate original manufacture, in spite of the fact that it is moderately high quality and a nice material....
    Jon, I know for a fact that's a Szant-O-Matic pen and pencil set. Only two sets were made before the California company failed due to a mixup in celluloid ingredients causing the other set to spontaneously combust, in turn resulting in a fire that burned half the town to the ground. How's your set doing?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 20th, 2021)