Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most obscure FP brand that you can think of?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: What is the most obscure FP brand that you can think of?

It's time for another obscure vintage brand. This time it's the Majestic.
    At a glance it kinda resembles Diamond Point, but it has a more tubular shape. The grey stripe celluloid is very nice.

Some of you may have encountered a few pens from this brand, I have also,

but this is the first time I actually see a 14K nib with MAJESTIC engraved on it.

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 25th, 2019), azkid (November 25th, 2019), FredRydr (November 25th, 2019)

Thanks

Here's one for ya, Will: a Mercedes pen.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (December 5th, 2019), Deb (December 5th, 2019), penwash (December 4th, 2019), Scrawler (December 16th, 2019), Yazeh (March 8th, 2021)

Thanks

I'll rise AzJon's beautiful Mercedes with this Thompson.

It looks like a SWAN pen (especially the clip design), and that massive GF cap band.

The original THOMPSON nib looks 14K and big. One of the tough-as-nail vintage nib I've ever encounter. Sadly the tipping has pretty much gone, so my dilemma is whether to keep the original nib or find a good replacement (another similarly-sized vintage nib with flex or stub).
    - Will

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (December 15th, 2019), Scrawler (December 16th, 2019)

Thanks

Here's another episode of... vintage pens no one ever heard of.

Well, at least I never heard of this one, maybe Deb or our other members from the UK have.

This is a Parker Duofold Junior clone, and I mean real clone. Everything is identical to a genuine Parker Duofold Jr. except a few mm longer when capped, which, in vintage pens means nothing because I can get two genuine Parker Duofold Jr. and they will be a few mm off from each other.

The only branding is the white engraving on the barrel that seems to say "Velva Tip" and BRITISH MADE underneath it.

Overall a cool pen, and look at the flex from the nib. I adjusted it because it almost fell off when it came to me.
    Last edited by penwash; May 31st, 2020 at 09:13 AM.
    - Will

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 31st, 2020), Cyril (June 22nd, 2021), fountainpenkid (March 8th, 2021), Scrawler (May 31st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I have come across Velva Tip pens (and nibs) from time to time. I don't know anything about the manufacturer and it isn't mentioned in Stephen Hull's book on British pens. Those I've had have been cheap pens of no real interest but your one looks like a keeper, Will. Is there anything on the nib?
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I have come across Velva Tip pens (and nibs) from time to time. I don't know anything about the manufacturer and it isn't mentioned in Stephen Hull's book on British pens. Those I've had have been cheap pens of no real interest but your one looks like a keeper, Will. Is there anything on the nib?
    Ah, there you are. So it is somewhat of an obscure brand even among UK pens.
    The pen seems to be quite nicely made (at least this one). The cap band is nice and thick (not just a super thin ring like in cheaper pens).

The nib is just Warranted 14ct, no branding, which is why I didn't try to feature it on the photo.
    - Will

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Even the warranted 14ct nib is exceptional for Velva Tip. The ones I've seen have had plated nibs. The thick cap ring may be in emulation of those on the Duofold, which stand proud of the cap. I've seen this sort of thing with other cheap brands, where they will produce the occasional superior pen - or, conversely, where a top rank manufacturer produces a poor economy pen. It goes against the idea that we can assign 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier labels to manufacturers. It's more complicated than that and we must judge the pen itself.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

I had a one - off pen, it was a foolish design which I shall come to. It was designed by a pan called Medel Fried in the early 1950s, I found the US patent 2,658,479 which was for a small lever filled pen with a small glass container inside a second barrel, The overall length was then around 6 inches. The pen didnt work as intended, being a pen that you could fill whilst travelling. The failure was because the nib would not fit into the neck of the bottle

I found what I thought was the family of Mr Freid and offered them this pen but heard nothing. I didn't feel comfortable about owning a one off US pen and gave the pen to a member of the New York Pen Club, I thought that they would give the pen a better home than I could.

Patent 2,658, 479

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post
    I had a one - off pen, it was a foolish design which I shall come to. It was designed by a pan called Medel Fried in the early 1950s, I found the US patent 2,658,479 which was for a small lever filled pen with a small glass container inside a second barrel, The overall length was then around 6 inches. The pen didnt work as intended, being a pen that you could fill whilst travelling. The failure was because the nib would not fit into the neck of the bottle

I found what I thought was the family of Mr Freid and offered them this pen but heard nothing. I didn't feel comfortable about owning a one off US pen and gave the pen to a member of the New York Pen Club, I thought that they would give the pen a better home than I could.

Patent 2,658, 479
    Any photos?

I'm curious to see how a lever filler could work with a glass container.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Even the warranted 14ct nib is exceptional for Velva Tip. The ones I've seen have had plated nibs. The thick cap ring may be in emulation of those on the Duofold, which stand proud of the cap. I've seen this sort of thing with other cheap brands, where they will produce the occasional superior pen - or, conversely, where a top rank manufacturer produces a poor economy pen. It goes against the idea that we can assign 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier labels to manufacturers. It's more complicated than that and we must judge the pen itself.
    Agree. I have long discovered that 1st, 2nd, 3rd tier monikers are generalizations and should be treated as such.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post

Patent 2,658, 479
    Any photos?

I'm curious to see how a lever filler could work with a glass container.
    I don't have any photos but there is a drawing with the patent.

I will try to describe it.

Start with a small 4 inch long lever filled pen on to which fits another barrel. therefore you have a normal screw thread cap screwing on to the barrel and a second barrel. Inside that second barrel is a small glass bottle. The idea is that you could carry around your own ink supply. Perhaps the designer thought that you could empty the ink into another container so that you could fill your pen, but the problem with that is that the ink capacity would never have been enough and the neck of the bottle was so small that you could not fit your nib inside the neck.

I guess that what happened was that Mr Fried had a pen made from his drawing but saw that it could not work and never made another.

Thanks

How about no brand at all?

This handsome (and well made) pen came to me in a batch of pens. It has no brand, no engraving on it anywhere. Look at that fascinating celluloid.

The issue was, it had this rather weird section design that is long, tapered and ended up in an unimpressive semi-hooded nib (steel, corroded) that just looked odd overall. Having worked on hundreds of vintage pens, I can spot a lost-cause when I see one. I don't even bother trying to get it to work.

But the cap and barrel are *very* nice, with the lever being strong and snug, I like it already.

What a pity to not use the cap and barrel to get a nice pen out of them. So I do what I usually do, find a section in my jumble of "parts" and being hopeful to find a feed that would fit nicely. Then, I opened my spare nibs box (which is difficult and expensive to stock up) and ... this Sheaffer 14K called out to me.

This nib, is ... precise. There is no other words that can describe it adequately. It's more precise than a Rotring Rapidograph, or the smallest Pigma Micron (I have both). It was scratchy too, so I worked on it for a while to smooth it.

And voila,

Delicate lines and hints of details. A sketcher's dream pen.

That's what this pen is now made for
    Last edited by penwash; September 2nd, 2020 at 09:16 AM.
    - Will

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 8th, 2021), SchaumburgSwan (September 18th, 2020), Scrawler (September 3rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

One I haven't come across again was an Ero from the 50s, with a little semiflex steel nib that was a threaded unit

Likewise this little "Ultra - Italy" syringe filler. Granted neither of these are nearly as obscure as some I'm seeing here, but I didn't really know what to make of them.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

penwash (March 8th, 2021)

Thanks

And... I just remembered one I recently got, and restored, that has no brand at all that I can't quite figure out and have no history at all on it.

Tiny little guy, very smooth steel nib, probably hard rubber.

Came in a lot of some miscellaneous pens (including an old "Reliance" that I would love to find a cap for, and a Parker Challenger that needs both a new nib and button)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (September 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Sometimes an unbranded pen can look very unique and actually is a good pen:

- Will

23. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (September 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    And... I just remembered one I recently got, and restored, that has no brand at all that I can't quite figure out and have no history at all on it.

Tiny little guy, very smooth steel nib, probably hard rubber.
    <snip>

Came in a lot of some miscellaneous pens (including an old "Reliance" that I would love to find a cap for, and a Parker Challenger that needs both a new nib and button)

Can you tell me anything about the second pen from the left (chrome overlay).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post

Nothing that I can really think of really. It's a vintage "Peerless" pen, has a big "P" on the clip (though other examples say peerless), steel nib that has some corrosion on it, but otherwise seems still ok. I've cleaned off the old sac and the lever is quite responsive and springy against the pressure bar. I haven't attempted to put a new sac on it yet. Pretty sure the black part is plastic and not something like ebonite. It's cleaned up a bit better now, just haven't tried to sac or ink it yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post

Nothing that I can really think of really. It's a vintage "Peerless" pen, has a big "P" on the clip (though other examples say peerless), steel nib that has some corrosion on it, but otherwise seems still ok. I've cleaned off the old sac and the lever is quite responsive and springy against the pressure bar. I haven't attempted to put a new sac on it yet. Pretty sure the black part is plastic and not something like ebonite. It's cleaned up a bit better now, just haven't tried to sac or ink it yet.
    I have an identical one here and know nothing about it. Not overly sure how I came by it. It is plastic. It is trying to look like something it is not. The nib is uncorroded but stiff and scratchy.

Thanks

First entry in 2021.

An unusual Ambassador.

Usually, I find pocket-sized pens with this brand. This one is bigger, a smidgen longer than 5-1/4 when capped. It still retains the overall shape including the round cap end, but it has a flat barrel end. I love the trims.

- Will

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

eachan (March 9th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (March 8th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

A modern pen, a Mico, probably Greek in origin....

Very narrow... Not comfortable pen to write with:

6B5D98A0-8D69-4BC7-869F-A7EE152F9130.jpg
    F4AB7673-A3EA-43D5-A02F-EA77E1FF98B9.jpg

Attachment 59554

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

eachan (March 9th, 2021), penwash (March 8th, 2021)