Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most obscure FP brand that you can think of?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Default Re: What is the most obscure FP brand that you can think of?

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ...Absolutely no markings anywhere that would indicate original manufacture, in spite of the fact that it is moderately high quality and a nice material....
    Jon, I know for a fact that's a Szant-O-Matic pen and pencil set. Only two sets were made before the California company failed due to a mixup in celluloid ingredients causing the other set to spontaneously combust, in turn resulting in a fire that burned half the town to the ground. How's your set doing?
    I hate when that happens.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Cob (August 1st, 2018), Jon Szanto (July 31st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ...Absolutely no markings anywhere that would indicate original manufacture, in spite of the fact that it is moderately high quality and a nice material....
    Jon, I know for a fact that's a Szant-O-Matic pen and pencil set. Only two sets were made before the California company failed due to a mixup in celluloid ingredients causing the other set to spontaneously combust, in turn resulting in a fire that burned half the town to the ground. How's your set doing?
    Smokin'.

BTW, I finally did a deep FB search and found the thread where some of the pen cognoscenti weighed in on that set. There was no easy way to export the thread but I'll pull the images and salient text and repost here later.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Just a post-script on my image of the "No-name" and a response regarding why this can be so fun... and the value of having a wide net. When I got these a couple years back I posted in a couple places, people thought they were cool, but there was one Facebook pen forum that had just the right people to chime in. Took me a while to find the thread but I'll pair some images with the comments they made. It really takes the detective work to another level and make it interesting in new ways (and, of course, you can always just be owning a POS pen).

My friend Allan Goforth jumped in quickly to mention that the material looked like a pattern that Waterman had used called "mahogany Then the next person to respond was Luis Leite, who said (and offered a photo):

"A custom order and made by Swan . You have similar pens with same clip, lever ,shape and plastic, with Swan imprint and also with Monogram or Belmont imprint for the Rexall stores .On the left you have a Mogram set and on the right a Swan pen."

Then Rick Krantz mused aloud as to whether it was a material Conklin used. Jonathan Veley chimed in:

" The plastic is most often associated with Eagle - which made Monogram and Belmont pens for a time. I've got a Michael-George, a Belmont and an Eagle compared in this article."
    The article includes this nice photo (which I rotated for this post):

Marc Shiman then offered the following:

"Mabie Todd towards the end used that same clip and plastic. I don't have any photos of Swans with two cap bands though. All that means very little, by the end of US Mabie Todd, I doubt they were making their own components and were probably buying them from the same place this company did. Camel also used this plastic"
    As is often the case, we have to go and hunt down stuff. Later in the thread he posted this comment/photo:

"Conklin Nozac and Camel parts - I don't have a cap for the Conklin, so was thinking of trying to make one from the Camel. The Conklin cap pictured was for size. A lot more ambition than capability."

One of our occasional contributors on FPG, Daniel Kirchheimer, offered up the following, a delightful addition:

"Color is not perfectly accurate but you get the idea..."

The rest of the thread involved somewhat tangential topics, mostly relating to the difficulty of pinning down exact names on colors/patterns. Some of these objects were originally termed by fairly vanilla labels, like "Brown", and various other names have come into play. The dedicated collectors know all these details... or keep at it as much as they can!

I hope this has been of interest, especially in furthering Will's initial reasons for posting: that objet obscur du désir can certainly be worth obtaining.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 1st, 2018), calamus (May 18th, 2021), carlos.q (August 1st, 2018), Cob (August 2nd, 2018), FredRydr (August 1st, 2018), penwash (August 1st, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (August 1st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Is there any way to directly upload an image without using a hosting site? I have pictures of The Wembley pen to post. This obscure little number was already way out of date and obsolete when it came on to the market. It is a slender BCHR eye dropper pen.
    Yes there is.

Click on "go advanced", then "Manage Attachments", Browse - select your file, upload and at the bottom of the box you will see add... I have just done it with this relatively obscure Swan - a silver split lever from 1919 - the only year that they were made.

Split Lever Stub Italic.jpg

Cob
    Vive les chevaliers! A bas les têtes rondes!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

catbert (August 1st, 2018), Cyril (September 4th, 2020), penwash (March 8th, 2021), Scrawler (August 2nd, 2018)

Thanks

That's a wonderful pen with a glorious stub. Envy.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Cob (August 1st, 2018)

Thanks

This curiosity is called "Stylus". Certainly strange and I suppose obscure. It came with a horrid steel nib - I fitted an Esterbrook Relief nib that I had by me:German Shorty 2.jpgGerman Shorty 3.jpg

Cob

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

penwash (July 17th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (August 6th, 2018)

Thanks

I had a one off pen made by a NY inventor.

This was a lever filled pen, early 50s. The pen and nib were quite short, the cap was in two parts, one sleeve had a glass container the idea being that you could fill the pen whilst travelling. I found the patent for the pen and later offered the pen to the descendants of the inventor, not interested.

The design fault was that you could not fit the nib into the narrow neck of the glass bottle, which in any case only held around 1-2ml.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Cob (August 1st, 2018)

Thanks

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
    the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Braxfeld For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 1st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

The Harris pen is fairly obscure. Or at least I do not come across them very often. This model is a 1927 Harris University pen. It was, as its name suggests, aimed at students. The cap jewel unscrews and can be replaced with a different to reflect what colour ink is in the pen. I rebuilt this pen with parts from two identical pens and have kept the scrap in my pieces box.

Harrispen.JPG

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Cob (August 7th, 2018), penwash (August 4th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (August 6th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 795 Posts

The most obscure FP brand in my collection is this 1935 Edel Chromstahl that I bought from Lexaf some 5 years ago:

Edel.jpg
    Last edited by carlos.q; August 4th, 2018 at 12:30 PM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (August 16th, 2018), penwash (August 4th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (August 6th, 2018), Scrawler (August 4th, 2018)

Thanks

Are Summit pens obscure? I never see anyone discuss them. The pen at the bottom is a lever filled 1940 model. The one at the top is a 1930s bulb filler. These pens are characterized by being heavily chaised.

summit0.jpg

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

AzJon (August 8th, 2018), Cob (August 7th, 2018), NibsForScript (August 16th, 2018), penwash (August 6th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (August 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Are Summit pens obscure? I never see anyone discuss them. The pen at the bottom is a lever filled 1940 model. The one at the top is a 1930s bulb filler. These pens are characterized by being heavily chaised.
    Summits are not at all obscure in the UK but are probably not well known elsewhere.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

penwash (August 6th, 2018), Scrawler (August 6th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

summit0.jpg
    I have seen one or two Summit pens, but I don't remember the chasing being their distinctive feature.

Love those two pens, btw.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Let's swing to Italian pens.

This is a vintage Lalex pen. I don't know if it has a specific model number, but it's marked Lam. Oro (Laminato Oro, or "gold-laminated" in English).
    Look at the chasing pattern on the gold. I think it's very cool.

The interesting part is that, for a pen that looks like a C/C filler, it actually has a fully functioning (albeit small) piston filling system. I cleaned it up, put some silicone grease to improve the suction and the pen fills with water (and ink) once more.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Deb (August 7th, 2018), NibsForScript (August 16th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (August 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Vue-All. It's my latest acquisition.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spideysgirl For This Useful Post:

Deb (August 7th, 2018), Jon Szanto (August 6th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (August 7th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Lighting isn't great, but here's an extremely rare Rex, a German pen, in excellent condition. I plucked this from a table at the DC pen show two days ago. I haven't tried writing with it yet.

IMG_1358.JPG

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Cob (August 7th, 2018), Deb (August 7th, 2018), NibsForScript (August 16th, 2018), penwash (July 17th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (August 7th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,129 Posts

Not exactly obscure (they are school pens after all) but uncommon around here —

Above: LUS Giubileo Scuola with adjustable steel nib. Student version of the Giubileo 53.
    Below: Lincoln Giubileo Esport. Very similar to the Scuola. Not sure if this was a sub-brand, OEM version, or a knock-off.
    LUS&Lincoln.jpg

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Cob (August 7th, 2018), Deb (August 7th, 2018), penwash (August 8th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (August 7th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

summit0.jpg
    I have seen one or two Summit pens, but I don't remember the chasing being their distinctive feature.

Love those two pens, btw.
    I have had a few Langs-made National Security pens that had the same chasing as yours.

Cob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post

I have had a few Langs-made National Security pens that had the same chasing as yours.

Cob
    This kind of chasing is called Guilloché or "Engine Turning". It is unfortunate that I do not have a good camera/light set up so that I could show off just how pretty it is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post

Cob
    This kind of chasing is called Guilloché or "Engine Turning". It is unfortunate that I do not have a good camera/light set up so that I could show off just how pretty it is.
    Yes, it is attractive - very similar to the chasing found on post-war black Onotos - which is known as "barley corn"

Cob