Thread: Pelikan Twist

Thanks

Default Pelikan Twist

Pelikan cartridges fit but dont seem secure. These are genuine Pelikan that came with the pen.

International cartridges feel very loose, no grip there at all.

Parker cartridges fit and grip ok but seap a little, as do Lamy cartridges. Penman cartridges are better but a bit long.

Converters of all brands are generally too wide to the end of the barrel or dont grip so good.

I have one cartridge, no makers name, that fits very well. It is mid length between international and Parker. No idea what I will do if it splits on me or just becomes too worn.

Anyone else had this as an issue?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,132 Posts

Default Re: Pelikan Twist

According to this that looseness is by design. I've experienced the same with standard international converters in my Twist and various Pelikanos.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (July 29th, 2018), carlos.q (July 29th, 2018), Chrissy (July 29th, 2018), Fermata (July 29th, 2018)

Thanks

Thank you, that is news to me.

I am sure you feel the same, if you press home the cartridge and it feels so loose that it may fall away then you are concerned.

Appreciate your response, thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,368 Times in 3,979 Posts

The info on Pelikan's Perch was news to me too. Thanks for posting that.

Thanks

This comment on the Pelikan cartridge turns this on its head, quite literally. I had thought that the back to back cartridge idea inside the barrel was just a convenient way of carrying a spare cartridge in case you run out. It turns out that this doubling up of cartridges in Pelikans is more than a handy and convenient idea - as it might be with other pens but a neccessity.

The need to load two cartridges is not mentionned on the pen packaging, I think it should be as it is much more than a helpful hint, the cartridge will easily fall back into the barrel without a second cartridge being there.

I have tried this out, filled a proper Pelikan cartridge, loaded back to back and I am going to leave the pen on my desk for a few hours and see if it leaks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (July 30th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Thank you, that is news to me.

I am sure you feel the same, if you press home the cartridge and it feels so loose that it may fall away then you are concerned.
    Yes, I feel like I have to hold the section when filling in case it detaches from the converter and falls into the bottle of ink. Oddly, I just received a vintage P25 - one of Pelikan's earliest c/c pens - and that feels much more secure with a modern converter.

Appreciate your response, thanks again.

Thanks

This comment on the Pelikan cartridge turns this on its head, quite literally. I had thought that the back to back cartridge idea inside the barrel was just a convenient way of carrying a spare cartridge in case you run out. It turns out that this doubling up of cartridges in Pelikans is more than a handy and convenient idea - as it might be with other pens but a neccessity.

The need to load two cartridges is not mentionned on the pen packaging, I think it should be as it is much more than a helpful hint, the cartridge will easily fall back into the barrel without a second cartridge being there.

I have tried this out, filled a proper Pelikan cartridge, loaded back to back and I am going to leave the pen on my desk for a few hours and see if it leaks
    In my translucent Pelikano the angled interior fins shaped to match the nipple of a reversed short cartridge (or the end of the turning knob on a standard international converter) are clearly visible towards the end of the barrel. (In the P25 mentioned above, a spent cartridge was still jammed in there by dried ink - a different kind of problem.)
    Last edited by catbert; July 29th, 2018 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post

In my translucent Pelikano the angled interior fins shaped to match the nipple of a reversed short cartridge (or the end of the turning knob on a standard international converter) are clearly visible towards the end of the barrel. (In the P25 mentioned above, a spent cartridge was still jammed in there by dried ink - a different kind problem.)
    I have learned something today. I thought it was just that I needed to use a different cartridge to make it work properly, I had no idea that it was neccessary to have two cartridges in the pen. Just had a look at the pen, no leaks, no seepage, the cartridge even felt more secure on the nipple.

Thanks for your advice.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 29th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post

In my translucent Pelikano the angled interior fins shaped to match the nipple of a reversed short cartridge (or the end of the turning knob on a standard international converter) are clearly visible towards the end of the barrel. (In the P25 mentioned above, a spent cartridge was still jammed in there by dried ink - a different kind problem.)
    I have learned something today. I thought it was just that I needed to use a different cartridge to make it work properly, I had no idea that it was neccessary to have two cartridges in the pen. Just had a look at the pen, no leaks, no seepage, the cartridge even felt more secure on the nipple.

Thanks for your advice.
    No problem - I'm glad it worked.

Thanks

Have you tried a Waterman's long cart?

Thanks

I havent tried the Watermans long cartridge, I only have one full cartridge and I am saving it in case I have a Waterman CF in the future.

Following Catbert's advice I am happy with the results using standard cartridges

Thanks

Doesn't the CF use its own unique cartrides? They can be seen here: http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/refi...efillable.html

Modern Watermans, on the other hand, use the standard international format.

Thanks

Pelikano Junior and Pelikano barrel fins holding converter/cartridges snug.

fins.jpg

Thanks

The Twist has something similar, holds the cartridge(s) in place on the section. I have not used the Pelikano but I like good, functional design at all price points and I am impressed by Pelikan that they can do something so good at such a low price.