Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More Moore

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Default Re: More Moore

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I recently won an auction I worked hard on for a 96-A pen, the largest size for which I did not have an example. The pen arrived quickly, only for me to find out they had misread the imprint and put photos that were not easy to figure by eye, and the pen was a 94-A, of which I have a few examples and in better condition. Fortunately, the seller was both understanding and contrite, and gave a prompt refund once I had filed for one and put it in the mail. <sigh> Still looking for a good 96-A...
    Update: The seller has relisted the pen. Now says it is a 92-A!
    He has one feedback which complains that he sold an item as 10kt, jeweler tested but it was brass! Explains it was a testing error.
    Given he was aware that his pen was not a 96-A when he sold it to you as such I wonder if these episodes of "oops!" isn't a pattern?? No way I'd purchase anything from him!!
    If possible, and I emphasize *If possible*, because I am not admin and this is not any form of "chiding".

Let's go back to showcasing or talking about Moore pens.

I think there is another section in the forum to critique sellers/vendors.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 9th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

He has one feedback which complains that he sold an item as 10kt, jeweler tested but it was brass! Explains it was a testing error.
    Given he was aware that his pen was not a 96-A when he sold it to you as such I wonder if these episodes of "oops!" isn't a pattern?? No way I'd purchase anything from him!!
    This is an incorrect assessment and unfair to the person, in a situation where you do not know the details.

The seller was honest and considerate with me the entire time. He is an antique dealer and was selling the pen for a colleague. It was originally listed as an L-96, which already tipped me off that it might not be a 96-A. As soon as I received it I knew it wasn't, by virtue of the slim size, but the main thing was the barrel imprint, which was *very* weak. Dedicated looking with loupe finally could make out the "2" in the model stamp.

As soon as I saw this - as in, 10 minutes - I contacted him. He was very sorry and immediately offer to refund (though his stated policy was no returns). Furthermore, he did not wait until he had received the pen before he refunded the entire amount, and it ended up that the pen took a couple of wrong turns and took a long time to get there. He now lists it correctly as a 92-A because I gave him the information.

At every step he was very good to deal with. Mistakes happen, people do their best but things go sideways, and the way to judge is how it is handled. This seller was reputable in his response, and he doesn't deserve to be discredited or disrespected.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; July 9th, 2021 at 12:33 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Let's go back to showcasing or talking about Moore pens.
    Sorry, Will. I only saw your comment after I posted a response. I'll leave it at that and post some more Moores later!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Here is a set that came in at a very busy time so I haven't done my own photos, and I'll just share two of the auction images, a very sweet Moore set. I hesitate when something is "listed" as a Ladies set unless I have some form of documentation that that is how they were marketed/sold. Moore, of course, is extremely thin on any found documentation. Anyway, they are very similar to Carter's sets of the time, in the cool Bakelite cases (maybe a thread on that!), but these are in a leatherette snap case. The case took the brunt of the years but the instruments are in very fine order. I especially like the two bands on the pencil.

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

eachan (July 10th, 2021), FredRydr (July 11th, 2021), penwash (July 11th, 2021)

Thanks

This is an incorrect assessment and unfair to the person, in a situation where you do not know the details.

The seller was honest and considerate with me the entire time. He is an antique dealer and was selling the pen for a colleague. It was originally listed as an L-96, which already tipped me off that it might not be a 96-A. As soon as I received it I knew it wasn't, by virtue of the slim size, but the main thing was the barrel imprint, which was *very* weak. Dedicated looking with loupe finally could make out the "2" in the model stamp.

As soon as I saw this - as in, 10 minutes - I contacted him. He was very sorry and immediately offer to refund (though his stated policy was no returns). Furthermore, he did not wait until he had received the pen before he refunded the entire amount, and it ended up that the pen took a couple of wrong turns and took a long time to get there. He now lists it correctly as a 92-A because I gave him the information.

At every step he was very good to deal with. Mistakes happen, people do their best but things go sideways, and the way to judge is how it is handled. This seller was reputable in his response, and he doesn't deserve to be discredited or disrespected.
    Get off your ever present high horse.
    I know enough to say what I said because it was first person information. I wrote to him and he replied to me. Your interaction(s) with him are moot.
    I'm happy to cut the seller some slack, as you suggest, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let you flame me, yet again.

This said, I too agree with Will. I recommend the portion of this otherwise informative thread........which begins with your whining about the current eBay sale prices of Moore pens........be deleted.
    Last edited by 724Seney; July 9th, 2021 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks

I ride skateboards, not horses. I’m happy letting people judge for themselves these encounters. Post some pens.

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

penwash (July 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks

I'm reasonably conversant with most US pens but I didn't know much about Moore. This thread has been very enlightening. Many thanks.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 11th, 2021), penwash (July 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

Got a Moore 94-A Art Deco pen in a junk shop lot. Nice color and hardware, so I replaced the rubber sac with a piston converter. But when I tested it, the nib had a broken tine.

So I put on an old Osmiroid Italic Fine, which wrote well.

Then I tried an Osmiroid Italic medium nib with considerable flex.

It's a handsome pen. Before inking it again, I might put on another trial nib, just for fun.
    Last edited by Chip; July 14th, 2021 at 01:26 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (July 13th, 2021), Jon Szanto (July 13th, 2021), penwash (July 17th, 2021)

Thanks

First sketch from the big Moore first featured in this post.

- Will

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

eachan (July 17th, 2021), Jon Szanto (July 17th, 2021), mizgeorge (July 17th, 2021)

Thanks

First sketch from the big Moore...
    The cap finial reminds me of the accent-color finials that Sailor is putting on all their special edition Pro Gear pens.

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

penwash (July 18th, 2021)

Thanks

First sketch from the big Moore...
    The cap finial reminds me of the accent-color finials that Sailor is putting on all their special edition Pro Gear pens.
    You mean ... I don't have to spend $330 (starting from) to get that kind of look?

EDIT: Price correction.
    Last edited by penwash; July 17th, 2021 at 03:46 PM.
    - Will

20. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 17th, 2021)