Thread: More Moore

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default More Moore

Since my last encounter with a good-looking Moore, I continued my exploration of the vintage pen world.

Today I'd like to review this pen: Another Moore, another brown celluloid Moore, to be precise.

Appearance: This one is unusually large for a vintage pen. The length of the pen capped is almost 5-1/2 inches. And the girth of the pen is proportional, making this pen looks "normal" even though it's 1/2 inches longer than most vintage pens. When I write with this pen, it feels comfortable in a way that larger pen feels. The barrel is faceted, which is also quite unique. By the way, in the photo above, due to my lens producing some distortion, the end of the pen looks curved like a banana. Rest assured, the pen itself is straight as an arrow.

Clip: I singled out the clip because Moore pens usually have interesting pocket clips. This one is no exception, the clip has that art-deco styling, consistent with pens from the 1930's complete with the ball end. It's snug and it doesn't wiggle although I wouldn't tempt fate by clipping this pen to a jeans pocket and go hiking.

Condition: The trims are in a very good condition, the cap band has some tarnish and pitting, but the clip is beautiful. Just enough patina to show that it's a very old object but no unsightly blemishes and oxidation that often accompany such old pen. The barrel has micro-scratches and tiny pin prick dips in a very sparse locations, I can only see these because I went through the millimeters using my loupe. Coincidentally, if I went through a pen with my loupe, that means the pen looks excellent without it.

Material: Gorgeous. Another brown shimmering vintage celluloid brilliance from the past era.

Nib: An original Moore no.2 which as far as I know dates the pen again to the 1930's. The nib is Moore flexible, which means, deliciously, grinning-ear-to-ear flexible. For a flexible nib fan such as myself, this is the best part.

Barrel imprint: Very decent. I don't know if Moore pens came out of the factory with the white paint filling up the barrel imprint, but the engraving on this one is deep, readable, and looks good. See the picture below:

This ends my short review of this Moore pen. Unfortunately, this pen does not have any model number at the end of the barrel. And the only photo I can find of a pen similar to this one is the Moore "The Writer" pen, and an auction record from Worthpoint.

Would like to hear any comments from Moore fans and experts here at the enclave (Jon Szanto, where art thou?)
    Last edited by penwash; July 28th, 2018 at 10:09 PM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (March 5th, 2019), azkid (July 28th, 2018), bensampson (January 4th, 2019), Chrissy (April 7th, 2019), cj2020 (February 9th, 2021), Deb (July 29th, 2018), Detman101 (February 10th, 2021), FredRydr (July 29th, 2018), Jon Szanto (March 4th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (April 8th, 2019), Lexaf (August 27th, 2018), linearMN (April 7th, 2019), NibsForScript (August 4th, 2018), Scrawler (March 10th, 2019), Yazeh (February 9th, 2021)