Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More Moore

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: More Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

AHHHHHHHHHH!!! I thought you were my friend!
    As in the immortal words of Dionne Warwick: "That's What Friends Are For."

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 27th, 2021)

Thanks

How about this beautiful Moore?

Notice the black top on the cap. I just love the marble pattern on this celluloid. It is similar to Conklin's Black and Bronze.

Despite this pen being a big vintage pen (5-1/4 inches capped with girthy barrel), I have one with similar styling that is bigger.
    - Will

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 14th, 2021), Jon Szanto (April 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (April 14th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    How about that - Will, look what showed up last week:

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 14th, 2021)

Thanks

How about that - Will, look what showed up last week:
    What!?!? Are we twins now too?

Is that one also 5-1/4 inches capped?

This is cool!
    - Will

8. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 14th, 2021)

Thanks

What!?!? Are we twins now too?

Is that one also 5-1/4 inches capped?

This is cool!
    Oh, no, not twins, just in the same family, and you are my big brother: this one is 4-7/8". I don't know if there is a faint stamp on the bottom of your barrel, mine reads "83".
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Man, those are some beautiful Moores.

Thanks

The big one. I mean BIG.

Notice the pale jade-like celluloid finial on the top? Not easy to find, especially the one that has no cracks or chips.

I had this 5.5 inches capped, girthy-barreled dude for a while but was waiting for a donor pen to replace the missing lever (and pressure bar inside). The replacement has to also be a Moore from around the same time period, The shape of the lever has to match not only the trough, but it also has to have the same exact placement of holes for the ring, and the slight "curvature" where the hidden end would rest when it's not nudging the pressure bar to press the ink sac.

Thanks to a broken Moore that I got recently, I was able to save the lever and install it on this pen.

The nib has an issue with a surface crack as well, but it's a massive Moore's MANIFLEX, so I'm keeping it until I can find a replacement.
    Last edited by penwash; June 11th, 2021 at 09:36 AM.
    - Will

12. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Great pen, Will.

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

penwash (June 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Great work, Will!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

penwash (June 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Another Moore, this time a pristine model L-94 from the 1940s.

At 5 inches capped and quite a girthy barrel, this pen sits very nice and comfortably in the hand.

But the material, soooo pretty especially in the morning light.
    - Will

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Cyril (July 5th, 2021), Jon Szanto (June 19th, 2021)

Thanks

After Photobucket turned into YetAnotherJerkholeWebsite, I started using Imgur to upload the photos I use to post. Easy to use, very easy to get links to post, even to differing sizes of photos. Recommend for at least a look to see if it meets your needs.

Example: obligatory Drawer of Moores (with a couple of Wearevers in this shot, too)...

Indeed Jon. And this is from the 1920s maybe even a tad earlier. Not bad for a 100 years old pen I am also happy to find this model with a clip. Anywhere I looked (and I even had one before) they are ringtop models.
    Here's a quick phonecam shot of another jadeite clip version, this one marked "L-93" on the bottom of the barrel. Not as clean and bright as yours, shown next to a darker ringtop. With the way the hobby is evolving, I'm losing hope that Moore will be adequately documented for their output, due to lack of retail/catalog materials and disparate collectors.

Also: it was my impression that the material that was the green, jade celluloid, didn't get developed until the mid-20s. Likely a DuPont development and shared by various makers, but maybe Sheaffer first? 2 or 3 steps beyond my pedigree of pen knowledge, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by kasia35 View Post
    It looks very aesthetically pleasing.
    Jon This is an amazing collection.

I remember I won a bid on a Moor pen and the silly seller had cancelled the deal. So I missed that pen.
    But that pen is going to be the ugliest pen on the side of these pens collection on this thread. But for me it is still a great pen as it had an amazing wet noodle type flex nib.
    I am always keeping an eye to get a MOOR PEN ..
    Last edited by Cyril; July 5th, 2021 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks

After Photobucket turned into YetAnotherJerkholeWebsite, I started using Imgur to upload the photos I use to post. Easy to use, very easy to get links to post, even to differing sizes of photos. Recommend for at least a look to see if it meets your needs.

Example: obligatory Drawer of Moores (with a couple of Wearevers in this shot, too)...

Indeed Jon. And this is from the 1920s maybe even a tad earlier. Not bad for a 100 years old pen I am also happy to find this model with a clip. Anywhere I looked (and I even had one before) they are ringtop models.
    Here's a quick phonecam shot of another jadeite clip version, this one marked "L-93" on the bottom of the barrel. Not as clean and bright as yours, shown next to a darker ringtop. With the way the hobby is evolving, I'm losing hope that Moore will be adequately documented for their output, due to lack of retail/catalog materials and disparate collectors.

Also: it was my impression that the material that was the green, jade celluloid, didn't get developed until the mid-20s. Likely a DuPont development and shared by various makers, but maybe Sheaffer first? 2 or 3 steps beyond my pedigree of pen knowledge, unfortunately.

Notice the black top on the cap. I just love the marble pattern on this celluloid. It is similar to Conklin's Black and Bronze.

Despite this pen being a big vintage pen (5-1/4 inches capped with girthy barrel), I have one with similar styling that is bigger.
    The big one. I mean BIG.

Notice the pale jade-like celluloid finial on the top? Not easy to find, especially the one that has no cracks or chips.

I had this 5.5 inches capped, girthy-barreled dude for a while but was waiting for a donor pen to replace the missing lever (and pressure bar inside). The replacement has to also be a Moore from around the same time period, The shape of the lever has to match not only the trough, but it also has to have the same exact placement of holes for the ring, and the slight "curvature" where the hidden end would rest when it's not nudging the pressure bar to press the ink sac.

Thanks to a broken Moore that I got recently, I was able to save the lever and install it on this pen.

The nib has an issue with a surface crack as well, but it's a massive Moore's MANIFLEX, so I'm keeping it until I can find a replacement.
    Another Moore, this time a pristine model L-94 from the 1940s.

At 5 inches capped and quite a girthy barrel, this pen sits very nice and comfortably in the hand.

But the material, soooo pretty especially in the morning light.
    Since my last encounter with a good-looking Moore, I continued my exploration of the vintage pen world.

Today I'd like to review this pen: Another Moore, another brown celluloid Moore, to be precise.

Appearance: This one is unusually large for a vintage pen. The length of the pen capped is almost 5-1/2 inches. And the girth of the pen is proportional, making this pen looks "normal" even though it's 1/2 inches longer than most vintage pens. When I write with this pen, it feels comfortable in a way that larger pen feels. The barrel is faceted, which is also quite unique. By the way, in the photo above, due to my lens producing some distortion, the end of the pen looks curved like a banana. Rest assured, the pen itself is straight as an arrow.

Clip: I singled out the clip because Moore pens usually have interesting pocket clips. This one is no exception, the clip has that art-deco styling, consistent with pens from the 1930's complete with the ball end. It's snug and it doesn't wiggle although I wouldn't tempt fate by clipping this pen to a jeans pocket and go hiking.

Condition: The trims are in a very good condition, the cap band has some tarnish and pitting, but the clip is beautiful. Just enough patina to show that it's a very old object but no unsightly blemishes and oxidation that often accompany such old pen. The barrel has micro-scratches and tiny pin prick dips in a very sparse locations, I can only see these because I went through the millimeters using my loupe. Coincidentally, if I went through a pen with my loupe, that means the pen looks excellent without it.

Material: Gorgeous. Another brown shimmering vintage celluloid brilliance from the past era.

Nib: An original Moore no.2 which as far as I know dates the pen again to the 1930's. The nib is Moore flexible, which means, deliciously, grinning-ear-to-ear flexible. For a flexible nib fan such as myself, this is the best part.

Barrel imprint: Very decent. I don't know if Moore pens came out of the factory with the white paint filling up the barrel imprint, but the engraving on this one is deep, readable, and looks good. See the picture below:

This ends my short review of this Moore pen. Unfortunately, this pen does not have any model number at the end of the barrel. And the only photo I can find of a pen similar to this one is the Moore "The Writer" pen, and an auction record from Worthpoint.

Would like to hear any comments from Moore fans and experts here at the enclave (Jon Szanto, where art thou?)
    Apart from the gorgeous celluloid pens, the Moore is also famous for its own "Safety Pen" design, which is distinctly different than the Waterman's helical design.

I love these safety pens, just got this one today. The nib is deliciously flexible.

I'm going to restore it next.
    Quote Originally Posted by kasia35 View Post
    It looks very aesthetically pleasing.
    Will these pens are amazing and beautiful.
    Moreover they are the best tools for your nice drawings too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I remember I won a bid on a Moor pen and the silly seller had cancelled the deal. So I missed that pen.
    But that pen is going to be the ugliest pen on the side of these pens collection on this thread. But for me it is still a great pen as it had an amazing wet noodle type flex nib.
    I am always keeping an eye to get a MOOR PEN ..
    A word of caution. If you want to acquire a fountain pen like the ones in Jon Szanto's photos you are best advised to not bid on a MOOR pen.
    "Moore" and "MOOR" are not one and the same. They are two different pen manufacturers from the 1930's. Moore was based out of Boston and MOOR was based out of Rotterdam.

Thanks

A word of caution. If you want to acquire a fountain pen like the ones in Jon Szanto's photos you are best advised to not bid on a MOOR pen.
    "Moore" and "MOOR" are not one and the same. They are two different pen manufacturers from the 1930's. Moore was based out of Boston and MOOR was based out of Rotterdam.[/QUOTE]

@724Seney, Thank you for the above short explaining.
    Actually I did not know that difference. Thank you again. I thought it the same MOOR I KNEW. Wow.. what a little things we know about this habit hole of Pen universe. !!!!!
    Actually" THE MOOR I KNEW "is also have nice flex nib . That is the trap.
    The Moore ( Boston ) is much better than the other. And now I see the difference.

Recently I found a pen ( MOORE ) on a sale and I did a biding, but it is a way too high on the shelf I could grab it. So I let it go.
    Last edited by Cyril; July 8th, 2021 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks

It is a bit of a tough time for bidding on Moore's at the moment. There appear to be a handful of people, some I believe fairly new to the hunt (based on low purchase numbers) who are jacking up the bids, both by bidding too early, and by having such deep pockets that they are willing to spend a significant portion more than what going rates have been for a couple of years (at least). There are still poor condition or lower rank Moore pens available, but the better models and cleaner items are going for increasingly high prices, some of them hard to justify.

I recently won an auction I worked hard on for a 96-A pen, the largest size for which I did not have an example. The pen arrived quickly, only for me to find out they had misread the imprint and put photos that were not easy to figure by eye, and the pen was a 92-A, of which I have a few examples and in better condition. Fortunately, the seller was both understanding and contrite, and gave a prompt refund once I had filed for one and put it in the mail. <sigh> Still looking for a good 96-A...
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; July 9th, 2021 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Typo/error corrected on pen model.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

...Still looking for a good 96-A...
    Sorry, it's long gone. It went to Minnesota. ;-)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 8th, 2021)

Thanks

It is a bit of a tough time for bidding on Moore's at the moment. There appear to be a handful of people, some I believe fairly new to the hunt (based on low purchase numbers) who are jacking up the bids, both by bidding too early, and by having such deep pockets that they are willing to spend a significant portion more than what going rates have been for a couple of years (at least). There are still poor condition or lower rank Moore pens available, but the better models and cleaner items are going for increasingly high prices, some of them hard to justify.

I recently won an auction I worked hard on for a 96-A pen, the largest size for which I did not have an example. The pen arrived quickly, only for me to find out they had misread the imprint and put photos that were not easy to figure by eye, and the pen was a 94-A, of which I have a few examples and in better condition. Fortunately, the seller was both understanding and contrite, and gave a prompt refund once I had filed for one and put it in the mail. <sigh> Still looking for a good 96-A...
    My take is that Moore pens, and especially the nicer ones, have long been undervalued and they are finally catching on. Too bad for the people who have been collecting them for years and enjoying low prices but, I think, good for the hobby in general because what you are describing as the current crop of new bidders may well indicate they are being better appreciated by the hobby's "new blood."

By the way, that seller was not being entirely straight with you. I immediately recognized that pen as one of Moore's most classic and truly beautiful fountain pens, a green/silver/bronze/pink striated 94-A (I suppose it also could have been a 92-A given that the seller did not provide any measurements). Well before the auction ended, I contacted the seller and let him know that he should check the imprint. He thanked me for the information but, apparently, did nothing with it. Clearly a seller to avoid.... but at least he did not give you any trouble with your request for a full refund.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    My take is that Moore pens, and especially the nicer ones, have long been undervalued and they are finally catching on. Too bad for the people who have been collecting them for years and enjoying low prices but, I think, good for the hobby in general because what you are describing as the current crop of new bidders may well indicate they are being better appreciated by the hobby's "new blood."

By the way, that seller was not being entirely straight with you. I immediately recognized that pen as one of Moore's most classic and truly beautiful fountain pens, a green/silver/bronze/pink striated 94-A (I suppose it also could have been a 92-A given that the seller did not provide any measurements). Well before the auction ended, I contacted the seller and let him know that he should check the imprint. He thanked me for the information but, apparently, did nothing with it. Clearly a seller to avoid.... but at least he did not give you any trouble with your request for a full refund.
    I don't have a firm opinion on the current run on Moores, but in a few areas I have seen fairly wild bidding that indicates more money than discernment. Of course, the only way to know would be to know the buyers and that doesn't happen in online sales. The key point for me is that they have never been a thing in the past with collectors at pen shows, and are very hard to find in those settings. Coupled with the almost complete lack of documentation from the company itself, it is an unusual area to focus on. Anyway, all just idle guessing, at least on my part.

To be clear, I suspicioned it was a 94, and simply took a chance, purchasing for a low enough price to resell without a loss. I've had pens fool me before - in the positive direction! - and spending some money and a few days in the mail may be a poor substitute for picking it up in my hand, looking, and putting it down again, but that is sometimes all that is available to one. This was not a lot more than hoping for the best, and it thankfully was an easy reversal.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post

I don't have a firm opinion on the current run on Moores, but in a few areas I have seen fairly wild bidding that indicates more money than discernment. Of course, the only way to know would be to know the buyers and that doesn't happen in online sales. The key point for me is that they have never been a thing in the past with collectors at pen shows, and are very hard to find in those settings. Coupled with the almost complete lack of documentation from the company itself, it is an unusual area to focus on. Anyway, all just idle guessing, at least on my part.

To be clear, I suspicioned it was a 94, and simply took a chance, purchasing for a low enough price to resell without a loss. I've had pens fool me before - in the positive direction! - and spending some money and a few days in the mail may be a poor substitute for picking it up in my hand, looking, and putting it down again, but that is sometimes all that is available to one. This was not a lot more than hoping for the best, and it thankfully was an easy reversal.
    For sure, we've all been fooled and we all learn something more (no pun intended) with every purchase. And by reading other's posts about purchases..........
    At least this didn't turn into one of those eBay horror stories.........
    It seems to me that post Pandemic I have seen a lot more eBay FP auctions getting run up to ridiculous amounts. And, I have seen more (apparent) "sumgai" outcomes, too.

I don't know what to make of the money part of the equation but it seems to me that over the past couple of years I have run into more & more people who "know" Moore pens and are making an effort to acquire some nice examples for their collection.
    Agree, now that pen shows are ramping back up it will be interesting to see if there are more attendees expressing interest at shows.
    Last edited by 724Seney; July 9th, 2021 at 03:35 AM.

Thanks

I recently won an auction I worked hard on for a 96-A pen, the largest size for which I did not have an example. The pen arrived quickly, only for me to find out they had misread the imprint and put photos that were not easy to figure by eye, and the pen was a 94-A, of which I have a few examples and in better condition. Fortunately, the seller was both understanding and contrite, and gave a prompt refund once I had filed for one and put it in the mail. <sigh> Still looking for a good 96-A...
    Update: The seller has relisted the pen. Now says it is a 92-A!
    He has one feedback which complains that he sold an item as 10kt, jeweler tested but it was brass! Explains it was a testing error.
    Given he was aware that his pen was not a 96-A when he sold it to you as such I wonder if these episodes of "oops!" isn't a pattern?? No way I'd purchase anything from him!!