Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Moore

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Default More Moore

Since my last encounter with a good-looking Moore, I continued my exploration of the vintage pen world.

Today I'd like to review this pen: Another Moore, another brown celluloid Moore, to be precise.

Appearance: This one is unusually large for a vintage pen. The length of the pen capped is almost 5-1/2 inches. And the girth of the pen is proportional, making this pen looks "normal" even though it's 1/2 inches longer than most vintage pens. When I write with this pen, it feels comfortable in a way that larger pen feels. The barrel is faceted, which is also quite unique. By the way, in the photo above, due to my lens producing some distortion, the end of the pen looks curved like a banana. Rest assured, the pen itself is straight as an arrow.

Clip: I singled out the clip because Moore pens usually have interesting pocket clips. This one is no exception, the clip has that art-deco styling, consistent with pens from the 1930's complete with the ball end. It's snug and it doesn't wiggle although I wouldn't tempt fate by clipping this pen to a jeans pocket and go hiking.

Condition: The trims are in a very good condition, the cap band has some tarnish and pitting, but the clip is beautiful. Just enough patina to show that it's a very old object but no unsightly blemishes and oxidation that often accompany such old pen. The barrel has micro-scratches and tiny pin prick dips in a very sparse locations, I can only see these because I went through the millimeters using my loupe. Coincidentally, if I went through a pen with my loupe, that means the pen looks excellent without it.

Material: Gorgeous. Another brown shimmering vintage celluloid brilliance from the past era.

Nib: An original Moore no.2 which as far as I know dates the pen again to the 1930's. The nib is Moore flexible, which means, deliciously, grinning-ear-to-ear flexible. For a flexible nib fan such as myself, this is the best part.

Barrel imprint: Very decent. I don't know if Moore pens came out of the factory with the white paint filling up the barrel imprint, but the engraving on this one is deep, readable, and looks good. See the picture below:

This ends my short review of this Moore pen. Unfortunately, this pen does not have any model number at the end of the barrel. And the only photo I can find of a pen similar to this one is the Moore "The Writer" pen, and an auction record from Worthpoint.

Would like to hear any comments from Moore fans and experts here at the enclave (Jon Szanto, where art thou?)
    Last edited by penwash; July 28th, 2018 at 10:09 PM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (March 5th, 2019), azkid (July 28th, 2018), bensampson (January 4th, 2019), Chrissy (April 7th, 2019), cj2020 (February 9th, 2021), Deb (July 29th, 2018), Detman101 (February 10th, 2021), FredRydr (July 29th, 2018), Jon Szanto (March 4th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (April 8th, 2019), Lexaf (August 27th, 2018), linearMN (April 7th, 2019), NibsForScript (August 4th, 2018), Scrawler (March 10th, 2019), Yazeh (February 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: More Moore

Apart from the gorgeous celluloid pens, the Moore is also famous for its own "Safety Pen" design, which is distinctly different than the Waterman's helical design.

I love these safety pens, just got this one today. The nib is deliciously flexible.

I'm going to restore it next.
    - Will

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 5th, 2019), Cyril (July 5th, 2021), FredRydr (March 5th, 2019), Jon Szanto (March 4th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (April 8th, 2019), NibsForScript (March 5th, 2019), Yazeh (February 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Just got done with the disassembly of the Moore Safety:

A few tricky spots, that little ring is threaded inside the barrel, taking it out requires a tool that will "grab" the inside of the ring without marring it.
    Then also this pen doesn't have a section per se, that tiny cylinder (left of the ring) is multitasking as the nib and feed holder (kinda like an Esterbrook nib collar), and also precisely sized to stop ink from pouring onto the paper when the pen is in writing position. I almost destroyed in the process of taking it off the feed/nib, so delicate, and I have no clue how to replace it if I did break it.

Oh, and those crumbs are 100+ year old cork and felt. And the nib... is a wet-noodle
    - Will

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

amk (April 11th, 2019), azkid (March 6th, 2019), Cyril (July 5th, 2021), fountainpagan (March 10th, 2019), Jon Szanto (March 5th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), linearMN (April 7th, 2019), NibsForScript (April 10th, 2019), Scrawler (March 10th, 2019), Yazeh (February 9th, 2021)

Thanks

And the old Safety pen is now safe to write with again

- Will

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

amk (April 11th, 2019), azkid (March 9th, 2019), Deb (March 9th, 2019), Detman101 (February 10th, 2021), fountainpagan (March 10th, 2019), Jon Szanto (March 9th, 2019), KKay (March 15th, 2019), NibsForScript (April 10th, 2019), Yazeh (February 9th, 2021)

Thanks

More and more Moores are what I would like to see. Your brown celluloid is a beauty. I have 14 Moores in my collection and like you find their flex nibs wonderfully flexible. It was a Moore Non-leakable that started me collecting vintage pens. Love your photos, thanks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to linearMN For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (April 10th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linearMN View Post
    More and more Moores are what I would like to see. Your brown celluloid is a beauty. I have 14 Moores in my collection and like you find their flex nibs wonderfully flexible. It was a Moore Non-leakable that started me collecting vintage pens. Love your photos, thanks.
    That's cool! Show us your collection so we can have more Moore's here
    - Will

12. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (April 10th, 2019)

Thanks

I have another Moore on the way. I will wait until it arrives and then post photos.

By the way how do you post a photo here, do you have to put your photos in an album first or can you load them directly from your computer? Directions not too clear.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linearMN View Post
    I have another Moore on the way. I will wait until it arrives and then post photos.

By the way how do you post a photo here, do you have to put your photos in an album first or can you load them directly from your computer? Directions not too clear.
    I upload all my photos to flickr. Which then allows me to get a public URL that I put into the dialog that came up when you click on the "Insert Image" icon.
    - Will

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

After Photobucket turned into YetAnotherJerkholeWebsite, I started using Imgur to upload the photos I use to post. Easy to use, very easy to get links to post, even to differing sizes of photos. Recommend for at least a look to see if it meets your needs.

Example: obligatory Drawer of Moores (with a couple of Wearevers in this shot, too)...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Cyril (July 5th, 2021), Detman101 (February 10th, 2021), Lady Onogaro (February 8th, 2021), NibsForScript (April 10th, 2019), penwash (October 31st, 2020), Yazeh (February 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Just restored this one recently and upgraded the firm nib with an old Moore superflex

- Will

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 16th, 2019), azkid (May 16th, 2019), cj2020 (March 6th, 2021), Deb (May 16th, 2019), FredRydr (May 16th, 2019), Jon Szanto (May 16th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (February 8th, 2021), Yazeh (February 9th, 2021)

Thanks

After a long while, I got another Moore worthy to be included in this thread.

A dainty, but flexy L-72 Moore in "jade" colored celluloid.

Typically the L-72 is found as a ringtop model.
    But this one has an honest-to-goodness pocket clip... in pristine condition too.

- Will

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (February 10th, 2021), Jon Szanto (February 8th, 2021), Yazeh (February 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Ooh, Will, the celluloid is really in great form on this one - congrats!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

penwash (February 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Ooh, Will, the celluloid is really in great form on this one - congrats!
    Indeed Jon. And this is from the 1920s maybe even a tad earlier. Not bad for a 100 years old pen

I am also happy to find this model with a clip. Anywhere I looked (and I even had one before) they are ringtop models.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Indeed Jon. And this is from the 1920s maybe even a tad earlier. Not bad for a 100 years old pen I am also happy to find this model with a clip. Anywhere I looked (and I even had one before) they are ringtop models.
    Here's a quick phonecam shot of another jadeite clip version, this one marked "L-93" on the bottom of the barrel. Not as clean and bright as yours, shown next to a darker ringtop. With the way the hobby is evolving, I'm losing hope that Moore will be adequately documented for their output, due to lack of retail/catalog materials and disparate collectors.

Also: it was my impression that the material that was the green, jade celluloid, didn't get developed until the mid-20s. Likely a DuPont development and shared by various makers, but maybe Sheaffer first? 2 or 3 steps beyond my pedigree of pen knowledge, unfortunately.

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

eachan (February 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Your L-93 is more of a normal size if a bit slim (by the look of it).

I agree with you about the lack of info about Moore pens. My observation is that collectors still value Moore pens, but there are a lot more collectors who don't publish the nice pens they have, which, in this day and age is quite unfathomable, since all you need is your smartphone, plus typing a few paragraphs in a forum such as this. And the result can impact generations of people in this hobby.

Anyways, here's another shot of the little Moore:

The sketch was inspired by watching "Endeavour" episodes.
    I just discovered recently that my public library has all of them on DVD's. Doh!
    - Will

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

eachan (February 11th, 2021), fountainpenkid (February 10th, 2021), Jon Szanto (February 10th, 2021)

Thanks

My Moore journey continues:

- Will

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 26th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (April 14th, 2021)

Thanks

Pens that turn out like that always make me think of butterscotch taffy, a sweet I absolutely was crazy about when I was a kid. Nice pen, Will. I just realized the other day that I have completely filled a 48-pen folio case with Moores. Officially now time to instill a "one in, one out" policy.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Pens that turn out like that always make me think of butterscotch taffy, a sweet I absolutely was crazy about when I was a kid. Nice pen, Will. I just realized the other day that I have completely filled a 48-pen folio case with Moores. Officially now time to instill a "one in, one out" policy.
    Or get a second 48-pen case.

Your Moore collection is very nice, Jon. You'd be hard pressed to let go of any of them.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Or get a second 48-pen case.
    AHHHHHHHHHH!!! I thought you were my friend!

Your Moore collection is very nice, Jon. You'd be hard pressed to let go of any of them.
    There are a small number of duplicates or very similar items, no need to hoard. Now I can pare it down a bit and have it tightly-focused. The harder-to-find models are getting ever harder to find, too. My days of seeking may be coming to a close.

~ Benjamin Franklin

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (April 14th, 2021)

Thanks

It looks very aesthetically pleasing.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to kasia35 For This Useful Post:

penwash (February 27th, 2021)