Thread: Canadian here

Thanks

Default Canadian here

Been using FP about 3 years, just getting into bottled inks and different nibs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 810 Posts

Default Re: Canadian here

Receive a warm welcome from sunny Puerto Rico.

Thanks

Hi there,
    Welcome from across the Strait of Georgia on the Sunshine Coast. Everything you ever want to know about fountain pens and related paraphernalia is right here on the FP Geeks forum.

Thanks

Thanks for joining us, Joygernaut.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks

Welcome

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!
    0.5mm vs 0.7mm graphite sizes is much like 9mm vs 45acp...they both work if you know what you are doing. - me

Looking for Caran d'Ache Type 55 2mm set and Rotation .7 pencils.

Thanks

Thankyou everyone!! Can you share your fp stories??
    Gotta kick at the darkness ‘till it bleeds daylight

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joygernaut View Post
    Thankyou everyone!! Can you share your fp stories??
    Here you go ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Joygernaut (July 30th, 2018), Morgaine (August 4th, 2018)

Thanks

Welcome.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Joygernaut (July 30th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

My FP story, short version: Pilot Metropolitan followed by Jinhaos then found vintage Parker 51, then full blown vintage addiction, Esterbrook compulsion, and now (apparently) am becomming a Safari junkie. To say nothing of inks (5 bottles, 20 samples and growing).

My first use of the Metro was an epiphany after searching in vain -- among ball-point, rollerball, and gel pens -- for a pen that wrote well and was enjoyable.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 1st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

It was Baltimore in the spring, a wondrous time in a wondrous city. It was the late fifties or early sixties, and I was young and in good health and had been down to the harbor and was headed back to my apartment on North Charles. For some unknown reason I was way over on Calvert Street and so decided to cut across at Fayette and then up the hill past Mt. Vernon Place to home. The wind was out of the south bringing the smells from McCormick and Company (I remember they were doing cinnamon that day, funny how such things stick in our memories) and I was thinking about having diner at the bar in the Park Plaza or an evening of discussion and argument at the Peabody Book Shop and Beer Stube. Fayette Street was fairly level and a nice break in the climb and was also relatively sheltered from the wind that was beginning to chill as evening came on.

As I passed the Pen Hospital one pen in particular caught my eye. It was big and black with a white dot on the cap and gold lever that shined against the body and a clear section where you could see how much ink was left. For a moment I simply stopped and stared, then decided that was just what I had always been looking for.

I went in and Mr. Jenkins came in to see if a customer had really come in. I asked if I could look at the pen in the window and he graciously got it for me. The moment I held it in my hand I knew that it had been made for me. Had I been Harry and Mr. Jenkins been Mr. Ollivander he would have known that the pen chose me; perhaps he did.

He explained that the pen wasn't really for sale, that it had been brought in many years before for repair but I think he could tell from the way I looked at the pen and fondled it, that perhaps we were meant to be together. Finally he said he would pull the record, we would make one last attempt to contact the owner and if unsuccessful I could buy it for the cost of the repairs.

He went to the back and I could hear him going down some stairs, and a few minutes later returned with an old yellowed repair envelope. It seemed the owner had dropped the pen off over ten years earlier and although he had been contacted several times from the notes on the envelope, never come in to pick it up. The repairs were $4.50 and it had been a sack replaced and a nib adjustment.

But ...

it was MY name on the envelope.

It seems my grandfather had dropped it off for repair and simply (not at all surprising) never returned to pick it up. I immediately asked if I could make the call and when I got Gpop on the phone his response was. "Oh yes. By all means pick it up. I always meant for you to have it someday anyway."

He and Mr. Jenkins talked for awhile and Gpop insisted he'd come by and pay the repair bill but I insisted on paying for it then. He filled it for me, threw in a bottle of Blue-Black Skrip and I left a very happy person.

I used that pen daily for many, many years and never found anything I liked better. Then during a move from our apartment in California to the new house we had just bought someone broke into the apartment and stole a gold watch (also my grandfathers), an even older striking pocket watch that had belonged to my great grandfather and the pen. They did not take the stereo or the tv, only those three things and a small collection of silver dollars.

Since then I've had quite a few Sheaffer Oversized Balances but honestly, none have felt like that first one. I keep looking and trying to find one though and know that someday when I least expect it, The Pen will once again find me.
    Last edited by jar; August 4th, 2018 at 08:06 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (August 5th, 2018), azkid (August 4th, 2018), Frank (August 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Hello Canadian person. There are several of us in here. I am in Ontario.