Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sitting outside in the sunshine may not be as relaxing as I thought........

Thanks

Default Re: Sitting outside in the sunshine may not be as relaxing as I thought........

We value our wasp and bee friends. We purposely leave a wild border (AKA "weeds") around our vegetable garden to attract parasitic and predatory wasps. With these guys around, we don't have to spray for things like bean and potato beetles, cutworms, etc. With the lower population of honeybees, I have placed bumblebee nests around the periphery of the property. We get good pollination now. Don't want to hand pollinate everything. All those critters have stingers; I just don't piss 'em off.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (August 13th, 2018), SIR (August 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Cool Re: Sitting outside in the sunshine may not be as relaxing as I thought........

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Here, we have "Cow Killer Ants", gorgeous, red velvety "ants" with snazzy markings.
    Interesting... their cousins the panda ant are quite cute!

Thanks

Default Re: Sitting outside in the sunshine may not be as relaxing as I thought........

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    We value our wasp and bee friends. We purposely leave a wild border (AKA "weeds") around our vegetable garden to attract parasitic and predatory wasps. With these guys around, we don't have to spray for things like bean and potato beetles, cutworms, etc. With the lower population of honeybees, I have placed bumblebee nests around the periphery of the property. We get good pollination now. Don't want to hand pollinate everything. All those critters have stingers; I just don't piss 'em off.
    Bit of a dicotemy here, just paid someone to remove a wasp nest, and yet when they come to drink from the bird bath (and always fall in) I lift them out with a spoon and set them down on the grass.

I dont want them around but having almost drowned twice myself I dont want to see any creature die that way.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (August 13th, 2018), Morgaine (August 20th, 2018), SIR (August 10th, 2018)

Thanks

In the animal kingdom, if it has a colour combination that comprises 2 or 3 of red, black, or yellow, avoid it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

A couple years ago I kicked a log on a path I was building across the marsh and out flew a cloud of ground wasps. I had to run a couple hundred meters, with them chasing and stinging me, to get to the house and hose myself down.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    A couple years ago I kicked a log on a path I was building across the marsh and out flew a cloud of ground wasps. I had to run a couple hundred meters, with them chasing and stinging me, to get to the house and hose myself down.
    Ouch! That sounds painful.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I got three or four stings from paper wasps that had taken up residence in a camellia bush in my car port. Many ouches.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I got three or four stings from paper wasps that had taken up residence in a camellia bush in my car port. Many ouches.
    Many ouches indeed. I feel your pain. At least you can get After Bite. We've run out now, but I'll stock up next time I visit Florida.
    Hopefully, after 4 or 5 days all should be back to normal.
    Last edited by Chrissy; August 24th, 2018 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks

Be(e) aware. Several time I have sat on lawn furniture to discover, in time, that wasps were building nests on the underside of the chairs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Barrieau View Post
    Be(e) aware. Several time I have sat on lawn furniture to discover, in time, that wasps were building nests on the underside of the chairs.
    I tend to check. They try to build nests under our table too.

Thanks

Wasps are why I despise eating outside. Doesn't seem to be a problem in Spain currently though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    Wasps are why I despise eating outside. Doesn't seem to be a problem in Spain currently though.
    There were so many of them this year it made eating outside much more of a nuisance. Spain sounds like a great place to be at the moment though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    There were so many of them this year it made eating outside much more of a nuisance. Spain sounds like a great place to be at the moment though.
    Anywhere but work would have been great, Spain is currently gorgeous.