Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitting outside in the sunshine may not be as relaxing as I thought........

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Sitting outside in the sunshine may not be as relaxing as I thought........

I must admit I like to take advantage of the sunshine and sit in the garden reading my Kindle, and have been enjoying the long period of sunny weather we've been enjoying here in Britain.

Today my OH went shopping for an hour while I was outside reading. I decided to refill the bird bath with some nice fresh water, then failed to spot there was a wasp on the back of my bikini bottoms before I sat back down on my sun lounger.

OMG it was really painful. I have 4 swollen stings. I felt the first one and immediately got up, couldn't see anything so sat back down. Bad idea!

I cleaned it with surgical spirit and took an anti-histamine, so it's much better now. What a good job I have plenty of padding there!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (August 13th, 2018), Jon Szanto (August 6th, 2018), Medieval (August 6th, 2018), Morgaine (August 7th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: Sitting outside in the sunshine may not be as relaxing as I thought........

Oh boy! Not how anyone would want there day to go for sure! They sure can get mean.
    0.5mm vs 0.7mm graphite sizes is much like 9mm vs 45acp...they both work if you know what you are doing. - me

Looking for Caran d'Ache Type 55 2mm set and Rotation .7 pencils.

Thanks

Default Re: Sitting outside in the sunshine may not be as relaxing as I thought........

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidray View Post
    Oh boy! Not how anyone would want there day to go for sure! They sure can get mean.
    Well they don't like being sat on, that's for sure!

Thanks

Oh no, poor you. I hate wasps

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 6th, 2018)

Thanks

I feel your pain, Chrissy.

I recall when i were younger on a hot afternoon, possibly a weekend, relaxing on my bed somewhat sleepy (those hot early afternoons around 2pm are not good for high activity). Out of nowhere there was what I thought was just a casual itch on my neck, so not thinking I reached my hand up to scratch it.
    Imagine my surprise when the itch stung me, and in my sleepy state I instantly metamorphosed into madman mode.

Things like that really don't make me view wasps with rose tinted glasses. And while I will feel guilty if I have to kill an annoying fly or chase a spider or a bee out of the house, I will quite happily stamp the living daylights out of any wasps that crosses my path.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medieval For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My job before retiring was HVAC on commercial buildings. Wasps/hornets love to build their nests in the units. Hornet spray is our friend! I have been chased on the roof tops. Needless to say, I have little love for them.
    0.5mm vs 0.7mm graphite sizes is much like 9mm vs 45acp...they both work if you know what you are doing. - me

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rapidray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

the worst.

last time I got stung I was walking to my car after work.

little bastard got in my shirt and stung me on the armpit.

I hope somebody was watching, cause out of nowhere I started screaming and tore my shirt off. sheesh. I'd have paid to see it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 6th, 2018), Crazyorange (August 13th, 2018)

Thanks

I admit that I've been really scared of the possibility of being stung as there are loads of wasps around this year. My OH saw them going into the shed, and assumed they were building a nest, so he took everything out of the shed to see where it was, and couldn't find it. I was saying OMG be careful you don't get stung and stuff like that.

He eventually found this small nest, that they had just started, inside the flap of an old patio table umbrella. One of the first things he had taken out of the shed!

He was stung twice on his fingers, and seemed quite blasé about it while I was mortified, panicking, and saying are you OK? He said the itching lasted about 4 days then disappeared.

As long as the sting site doesn't start really swelling up and getting redder and you start to feel like you can't breathe, it's not too bad.

I've survived to see another day.

Thanks

Cool Re: First world problems

Wasps?! what are you crying about - I take it you mean the common garden variety as opposed to something exotic like a Spider Wasp; never been stung by one but i'm sure it ain't anywhere near as bad as a real physical injury or sickness, unless you're allergic.

Was stung by a bee, so naturally i am slightly wary of them, but I most hate flies, midges, and the like - bees and wasps won't go out of their way to sting you unless provoked, and they are quick and clever learners so showing aggression is counter productive in the long term, and... they're good for the garden.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: First world problems

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    bees and wasps won't go out of their way to sting you unless provoked
    Unfortunately, what constitutes "provocation" is entirely up to their tiny insect brains to decide. Sometimes wasps around here will manufacture an excuse, like, say, landing on your back and then deciding they didn't like how your shirt wrinkled when you moved. Call that "provocation" if you want. I don't.
    --
    Mike

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 7th, 2018), SIR (August 8th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I'm sorry to hear it, Chrissy. Very painful. A queen wasp started building her family home in our shed this spring. It got to baseball size before we saw it. Hubby did the necessary with wasp spray. We don't like killing things but it was them or us.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Here, we have "Cow Killer Ants", gorgeous, red velvety "ants" with snazzy markings. They are actually wingless wasps with a quarter inch stinger whose sting is estimated to be a Level 10 (out of 10) on the Venomous Bite Scale.

I look before I sit in Texas. Yuk.

Off topic: What is an "OH"?
    Last edited by VertOlive; August 7th, 2018 at 08:07 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

19. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (August 13th, 2018)

Thanks

OH would be her “Other Half”...her husband

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I'm sorry to hear it, Chrissy. Very painful. A queen wasp started building her family home in our shed this spring. It got to baseball size before we saw it. Hubby did the necessary with wasp spray. We don't like killing things but it was them or us.
    A couple of years ago we noticed several wasps in the house, and spotted they were coming out of the loft when we opened the loft hatch door. Sure enough there was a massive wasps nest in there. We had to get someone in to deal with it. He got fully kitted up before going in.

After some time we went in and removed the old nest from the wall and brought it down to throw away. It's a really intricate thing when you examine it. They chew up wood to make it. Where they chewed this wood from is anyone's guess, but I hate the darn things!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Here, we have "Cow Killer Ants", gorgeous, red velvety "ants" with snazzy markings. They are actually wingless wasps with a quarter inch stinger whose sting is estimated to be a Level 10 (out of 10) on the Venomous Bite Scale.

I look before I sit in Texas. Yuk.

Off topic: What is an "OH"?
    Wow! They sound like insects to be avoided.
    I remember seeing Steve Backshall (a UK "extreme explorer" naturalist who makes nature TV shows) showing us Bullet Ants. They apparently give the worst ever sting of any stinging insect. Steve went through a "Bullet Ant ritual" and was in tears due to the intense pain. Warning: It's not an easy clip to watch.

Yes OH is my Other Half - husband.
    Last edited by Chrissy; August 8th, 2018 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks

nature sucks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Ow. That is awful. I got stung by a bee as a kid. No wasps though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Ow. That is awful. I got stung by a bee as a kid. No wasps though.
    I always thought bees were worse. They leave the stinger in and it keeps on stinging.... It gives them a good reason to not sting though. Once they do they die.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Are you feeling better? I hope you aren't allergic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Are you feeling better? I hope you aren't allergic.
    I'm feeling much better thank you Fred. Just itchy and very glad to have some "After Bite" left from when we were in Florida.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 8th, 2018), NibsForScript (August 9th, 2018)